Styx album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeInFla, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Styxguy

Styxguy Forum Resident

I believe that Gowan had already been hired for the impending tour. They offered for Dennis to sit it out and come back when he was better but he staunchly refused and felt he should be on stage with them, otherwise it isn't Styx.

As they only did 9 songs for this CMN show, and took commercial breaks, Dennis was able to manage his condition... but full shows with sound checks and travel was likely too much for the level his chronic fatigue was at then.

BeatleJWOL, Ken.e., mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Well, that is an interesting statement. I was under the impression there was a total break between Dennis and the rest of Styx before Gowan was considered. So, given what you are saying, would Dennis have participated, been consulted or given approval for Gowan being hired?

ian christopher likes this.
  3. Styxguy

Styxguy Forum Resident

I'm sure @MikeInFla can correct me if I'm wrong ;)

As Dennis was completely against the band going on tour, I do not believe he had any role in finding his replacement.

It seems that before the end of 1999, there was some hope for Dennis to return.

Here's something I dug up from October that year - Styx gets back in the Act with a Return to Paradise, An Interview With Dennis DeYoung By John Everson

Young says that the band still hopes that eventually DeYoung will be able to join the fall tour, which, at presstime, has yet to book a Chicago date, though Young promises they’ll play for the home crowd eventually.

"We’ve hoped that Dennis would call up and say he was ready to go," Young says.

"There have been a lot of times where we’ve spent years apart," Young adds. "I don’t know what the future holds beyond December 1999. Dennis is not completely happy about us being out on this tour without him. Emotions are too high to talk about what current affairs are. But eventually, cooler heads always prevail. This is something that we felt, career wise, we absolutely had to do now. And as far as I know, there are few, if any, fans that feel cheated by the product we’re putting on the stage. Some people are finding the fact that it’s a different thing, stimulating."

4. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

That is really a great article. Thank you for posting that. The author really seems to capture that moment perfectly.

It's funny reading Young then compared to Young now. Either he was lying for the article or whatever soured him on Dennis forever was still to come.

I never knew Damn Yankees worked again?

MikeInFla, Ken.e. and mrjinks like this.
  5. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I, admittedly cynically, read between the lines of JY's words and I think it's mostly just PR talk. The article writer gives a better impression here and there than JY actually does. Example:
    There the writer says that Young is expecting DeYoung to be on a future album. But then JY's quote doesn't mention DeYoung at all.

Another similar example:
    The writer says "the band still hopes", but JY says the band "hoped" - past tense.

And there, JY's optimism doesn't necessarily include DeYoung.

There are more subtle examples in the article. Anyway, I'm just having fun - I do love to overanalyze!

MikeInFla, Ken.e., Melllvar and 3 others like this.
  6. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    MikeInFla, Ken.e., Melllvar and 3 others like this.
  7. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

i never a 3rd album was entirely recorded. i thought it was just bit and pieces and ideas for songs. demos and stuff like that.
    i remember reading somewhere that the 3 songwriters in the band ended up using some of those ideas for solo albums and stuff.

i wish they would have finished up the album and still released it. the other two albums are dang good!

Shooz01 and MikeInFla like this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

Yes, Gowan was picked before the CMN show. So during that show Dennis knew he was already being replaced. Listen to Dennis's comments at the end of the CMN show where he talks about how the core members cannot be replaced. Then the $1.75 comment was a shot at them. Todd even mentioned that tensions were high during that show because Dennis would be there but he had no dog in the fight (and he had audio troubles of his own to worry about as he had to play the entire set without hearing the band). Glen has said that he shared a room with Dennis and Dennis refused to speak to Gary Loizzo because he agreed to go on the road with Tommy and JY. Dennis was using George Packer (stage manager/road hand) to relay messages to Gary. "Tell Gary I need this sound... Tell Gary I need this, tell gary I need that". In return Gary would do the same thing "Tell Dennis to use this. Tell Dennis to turn up that" etc.

I had interviewed Tommy in late may or early June of 1999. Before BNW was even released and Gowan was picked already. And YES, there were plans for Dennis to return. Both JY and Tommy said they were hoping he would return when he felt better. But they soured on the idea when he kept calling radio stations and newspapers blasting them for going on the road without him and discrediting the tour and trying to stop them from getting a booking in Chicago.

I haven't read the article above but will. There was a Damn Yankees III (I think that was even the title) that featured Damon Johnson from Brother Kane as the 5th member of the band. Kelly Keagy also recorded some drums because by that time Michael was in Skynyrd. The album was completed but as stated no one was happy with it. Several of the songs have shown up on solo albums and Styx albums.

Track list:
    Even Though
    Give Nobody Nothing
    Too Much On My Mind
    We Are The Ones
    Sunshine Of Your Love
    Mona Lisa
    Don’t Say Goodbye
    Shine On
    Yes I Can
    Damned If You Do
    Don’t Stop Dreaming

Tracks that were recorded for other albums:
    Damned If You Do – appeared on Ted Nugent ‘Craveman’
    Yes I Can – appeared on Styx ‘Cyclorama’
    Shine On – appeared on Jack Blades ‘Jack Blades’
    We Are The Ones – appeared on Jack Blades ‘Jack Blades’

Here's more info on the third album Damn Yankees' long lost album has song sung by Black Star Riders' Damon Johnson - Sleaze Roxx

Tommy from July 2020:
    Shaw has consistently left the door open to a DAMN YANKEES reunion, telling told SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk" in early June: "Well, we never broke up… We are all still best of friends. [So] who knows? It's hard, because with STYX, we work so much, and to do that [a DAMN YANKEES reunion], it would mean putting [the members of STYX] out of work for a while. So it's a tough one. But every once in a while, we wind up on the same stage."

Asked if he feels there is some "unfinished business" with DAMN YANKEES creatively and whether he would like to do a record or a song with the band to "put a button on it," Shaw said: "Well, we can always do more. I don't think you can ever put a 'we're done' button on any of the members of the DAMN YANKEES. Who knows? Never say never. And we haven't said never."

And in June of 2021 Jack Blades said Warner Brothers paid them a million dollars NOT to make another album: Damn Yankees Singer Says Label Payed Them $1 Million To NOT Make An Album - 94.3 WQCM

Ken.e., BeatleJWOL, Melllvar and 6 others like this.
  9. MikeInFla

In late 1999 Styx would release their first CD single without Dennis on CMC International. It contained holiday greetings from the band, a remix of "Best New Face" and a live version of "Edge Of The Century" with updated lyrics.

Ken.e., Melllvar, Shooz01 and 4 others like this.
  10. MikeInFla

And here is the artwork for "While There's Still Time". This is the artwork Dennis wanted to use for the cover of the BNW album. I believe the full picture had the kid in front of a computer.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the small size but it is all I could find (and it isn't hi-res so the actual picture is more clear).

cageyc, Ken.e., Melllvar and 7 others like this.
  11. Shooz01

Shooz01 Forum Resident

To those thinking of checking since we have reached Dennis departure, don’t be so quick to exit, with an open mind and patience you might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Ken.e., Melllvar, carlwm and 5 others like this.
  12. MechanicalAnimal6

Definitely !! Things are going to be getting real good again!!
    Any Styx fans that skip the 2nd half of the bands career are really missing out, imo !

Ken.e., carlwm, mrjinks and 3 others like this.
  13. That would include me. And I wont argue the point, because you are likely correct. There is so much other music that competes for my limited time that with some bands I draw a line in the sand that I wont go beyond because my fear of diminishing returns and the abundance of other great music to check out. My line in the sand for Styx is everything post-Paradise Theater.

Ken.e., SRC, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  14. MechanicalAnimal6

Well hopefully some day you'll try the last two albums Styx has done, because they are VERY good imo, and a lot of fans seems to agree.
    I'd rank the two newest albums over some of the pre Paradise albums even.

Ken.e., carlwm, Styxguy and 5 others like this.
  15. Shooz01

Shooz01 Forum Resident

I have to agree, I’d say at the very least checking out the final two when we get there would definitely not be a waste of time for anyone who is a fan of the classic sound. Hopefully that’s not a spoiler :laugh:
    No diminishing return here, we’ll worth the time.
    Ok….I gotta stop getting out in front of the current thread :shrug:

Ken.e., carlwm, Styxguy and 4 others like this.
  16. MikeInFla

@Pete Puma perhaps you will be able to spare less than 2 minutes to listen to the video I will post when we get to The Mission! I don't think you would be disappointed in the short album opener as a "teaser" of the direction the band is going in. It will be a few weeks before we get there (stay tuned)!

Ken.e., mrjinks, Pete Puma and 4 others like this.
  17. MikeInFla

Patience my friend, patience. We will get there soon enough (and I even jumped the gun a bit on my my previous post!).

Ken.e., mrjinks, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  18. Styxguy

Styxguy Forum Resident

I'll get to my BNW post soon enough - but I wanted to share this from the time period... I missed out seeing Styx in October 1999 (setlist here) because the bar/club they came to in my city wasn't all ages.

Thankfully in October of 2000 they would come to my town again and play another venue (I also 'stole' a poster advertising Arch Allies from the venue after the show :D)

[​IMG]

I ended up finding the show on Napster and got about half of it downloaded before it disappeared - ever since I've been trying to find the rest but it's nowhere. I did find a bootlegs forum last year where it was listed but it seems nobody actually had a copy.

At this point, Gowan had played ~160 shows with the band and Dennis had filed his lawsuit just 2 days before this show

Hopefully the audio quality isn't too terrible - I've put together what I have in sequence;

Ken.e., mrjinks, Melllvar and 3 others like this.
  19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Got this show on DVD. As a fan of both bands, it's a real treat.

Ken.e., mrjinks, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
  20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Wow, that 1999 setlist is something: Living La Vida Loca!

Since I have only seen the new Styx on package tours the setlist is only half and rarely changes.

I would have loved to see Gowan do The Best Of Times, for example.

mrjinks and Styxguy like this.
  21. Styxguy

Styxguy Forum Resident

It's in my video at ~50m50s it was done as part of the acoustic set (short version with just the first verse, the chorus and then cut to the end of the song with a portion of A.D. 1958).

mrjinks, MikeInFla and tonyc like this.
  22. MikeInFla

Here ya go.... It's OK I guess but I can see why they don't play it. Gowan's voice just does not fit this song. In fact, I disabled comments on the video because I know that the trolls will be alive and well when they see it. I believe this is before they started the tour.

Ken.e., mrjinks, tonyc and 3 others like this.
  23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Okay, Bob & Tom is a throwback from my time in Indiana.

Styxguy and MikeInFla like this.
  24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Ok. I heard both and declare the Styxguy version better. The other is early in the morning in a radio studio so I can forgive that version.

I still would have enjoyed hearing it on the package tours. You knew pretty well going in Gowan was doing Lady, Lorelei, Grand Illusion and Come Sail Away. He did do I Am The Walrus once so I have that.

Ken.e., mrjinks, Styxguy and 2 others like this.
  25. MikeInFla

yeah when I saw them at show #2 for the tour they did Best Of Times in the acoustic setting. I think they also did it in November in St. Louis of that year.