Styx album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeInFla, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

So this is their first single? If so, I can see why. Great tune! Like so much of the album so far a strange homebrew mixing of Styx with a harder rocking edge and a nod to the early seventies aural esthetic of music at the time. Winner of a track and the best on the album so far along with Right Away.

Suncola and MikeInFla like this.
  2. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

This might be just my experiential bias, but I feel like Styx II is a slight anomaly where it's always seemed so much better than its surrounding albums. There are a number of what I think are great Styx songs on it, but meanwhile, I've never really liked anything too much from the first album, or the third and fourth, "Best Thing" as an exception I think. I find it all somewhat interesting, but otherwise I've never really been pulled in. But as I said, "experiential bias" - I might have to give all these LPs a try again. But I think it would be hard to compete with the amount of good Styx on the second album - "Lady", "You Need Love," "Father OSA", "I'm Gonna Make You Feel It"...

3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

For me, the Wooden Nickel albums got better as they went along so I'd rank II in third place.

moosebass, MikeInFla and SRC like this.
  4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

I remember an interview that Dennis stated that Styx II was Dennis' vision of what Styx should be. When it didn't do very well, he went along with the others in the group, and Serpent Is Rising and Man Of Miracles are more in line of what JY and JC wanted for the group. When Lady finally became successful, Dennis got the group to go back in the Styx II direction.

5. Shooz01

Shooz01 Forum Resident

II - the first wooden nickel album I heard, a friend in 8th grade made me a cassette copy. Definitely a big step up from Styx I.
    My favorite track hands down is “A Day”, what an epic song, wish they’d done more like it. I honestly like every song and could spin this on repeat with no problem.
    So JY, seemed to be the go to guy early on, and I like him in this role at this time, I think it was a great sound. As Styx evolved though I can see how Dennis and Tommy had to take over, and rightly so as those two can sing so amazingly Well.
    So you all enlightened me to the original gate fold, had no idea this existed and have never seen one, but pretty cool! Also digging seeing all the wooden nickel singles.
    This would be my #2 ranked wooden nickel release.

carlwm and mrjinks like this.
  6. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I'm going to say not having there early cds Edge Of The Century is the worst....
    Why.. because I don't like Winger mixed Styx.. I don't know what Dennis was thinking..?
    Love is a ritual good grief three years winger came out love me like ritual is sounds the same...
    I tired to listen post styx dennis I can't ..

MikeInFla likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Giving II a listen tonight. As far as the hit single goes, I'm far more familiar with the Lady '95 version, though the original here is a wonderful blend of DeYoung's ballads and the rest of the band's bombast.
    "A Day" is totally new to me. Love hearing DeYoung really lean into his Keith Emerson side in the middle there.
    "Father O.S.A" has a great buildup to it that I really appreciate. Always loved DDY's vocals and this is no exception.
    "I'm Gonna Make You Feel It" is a bit of a nothingburger, but it sounds pretty good.

Long story short, this album rocks. Should have been the debut.

The MEZ, carlwm and MikeInFla like this.
  8. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Extremely happy to see this thread. Styx is what I would call one of my first bands that I really got into when I was getting into music during my youth. So with that...

Styx: Rarely listen to this one, let alone all the way through. I would say the only tracks I care for on this rather interesting debut is Movement for the Common Man and Best Thing.

Styx II: Personal favorite of mine, front to back. Highlights for me would be: You Need Love, Lady, A Day, Father O.S.A.

9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My mom bought me the Styx debut as a cassette tape around 1984. It had that lame alternate artwork. I was pretty confused listening to it as it didn’t sound like Kilroy Was Here ha ha. Years later I revisited it and actually enjoy it quite a bit. JY is my least favorite songwriter for Styx and he dominates here yet apart from Styx II, this is easily my favorite of the Wooden Nickel albums.

MikeInFla, mrjinks and carlwm like this.
  10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Semi Thread Crap (apologies):

Can't stand this band except for the song, "Why Me" (which I really, really like).

Why Me is so hard to find on any Styx or Various Artists comps makes he say, Why No Why Me?

simon-wagstaff likes this.
  11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida Thread Starter

I think Styx II is the best sounding of the bunch. Sonically speaking that is. But is it my favorite of the WN releases? Well it depends on what day it is. Sometimes I am really into Serpent Is Rising or Man Of Miracles. I have the Japanese Remaster of Styx II from 1999 and it is the best sounding version out there. Too bad I can't read the liner notes! Really the only weak song is "You Better Ask". I used to skip it a lot but now I will let it play thru while listening to the album. For some reason the keyboard work always reminded me of something from a 70's tv show... Almost as if it would be background music for Sanford & Son (not theme music, but used in the background at some point).

mrjinks and carlwm like this.
  12. MikeInFla

I don't know how long these images will be posted because they are from eBay. Some promotional material for Styx II

[​IMG]

"Bare bottom" poster:
    [​IMG]

And on this one, JY is listed first
    [​IMG]

mrjinks, yesstiles, Melllvar and 2 others like this.
  13. MikeInFla

Here is another, a variation on the infamous devil poster (I have not seen this one, the other I have seen has the actual Styx logo from the era).
    [​IMG]
    And they wonder why religious groups thought they were into Satan? Hahaha. Honestly they probably had nothing to do with the poster. I know in the 90's collectors were trying to find the devil poster.

mrjinks, yesstiles and Shooz01 like this.
  14. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

It wasn't a huge hit, and who knows but it may have represented something negative for the band since the record company chose it for a single over the song DeYoung wanted, and there were arguments in the band at that time leading to DeYoung's brief firing.

I've got to say though, haha, and I know tastes are individual and subjective, and Styx is a divisive band where so many people dislike them intensely (and proudly) it seems, but I find it SO odd that you can't stand them, *except* "Why Me." Is there some aspect of it you like, that doesn't appear elsewhere?

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I quite like Why Me but I'd love to remove the horrible sax parts.

moosebass likes this.
  16. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

You're in luck! It makes an appearance on a German Styx comp, The Singles Collection which was released in 2000.

Styx – The Singles Collection (2000, CD)

carlwm likes this.
  17. MikeInFla

yeah, that can be found pretty cheap. I picked it up when someone stole my GH CD. I saw this used and picked it up since it basically had the same tracks from GH and GH Part 2.

carlwm likes this.
  18. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have the other devil poster.

carlwm and MikeInFla like this.
  19. Styx II is a big improvement over the debut IMO. The debut only had a couple of songs that worked for me, whereas this one is mostly good to great.

1. You Need Love 2.5/5 - a generic rocker that works pretty well -the booginess really works.
    2. Lady 4/5 - the first Styx song I ever heard on the radio, probably around 1974. a nice template for some future hits.
    3. A Day 3.5/5 - some tasteful synth and other keys. Atmospheric with cool harmonies and no bombast! Not exactly hook-filled, but overall very pleasant.
    4. You Better Ask 2/5 - not my bag.
    5. Little Fugue In G 3/5 - a nice little tune
    6. Father O.S.A. 4/5 some fine bombast (thanks Dennis) on display that paves the way for the A&M years. Definitely worthy of a setlist revisit.
    7. Earl Of Roseland 3/5 - another fun rocker with Dennis giving a great vocal -the chorus also harkens to their future.
    8. I'm Gonna Make You Feel It 3/5 - energy it has, what it lacks is some strong lyrics.

20. MikeInFla

I can't remember if it is the same devil or not but I believe it is. Back in the early days of the world wide web I used to enjoy "Troy's Styx Museum". That was a cool site. Haven't heard from Troy in over 20 years, hope he is doing well.

21. The only Styx album I have - well, this and Equinox. The Curulewski-era albums are kind of interesting in that they show a band who weren't sure what direction they wanted to go in, and so alternated between sounding kind of like Yes and Head East by turns.

MikeInFla, carlwm and Pete Puma like this.
  22. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I think Styx II is a good album, picked this up used and the vinyl is in great condition and poster was inside when I bought it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The MEZ, Crungy, MikeInFla and 4 others like this.
  23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

By the way the new album is fantastic imo and the vinyl is excellent playback

MikeInFla and carlwm like this.
  24. MikeInFla

That's pretty awesome! I am unaware of that album coming with a poster! I wonder if someone had one and just stuck it in there?? Again, notice JY at the forefront. At that time they may have considered him the front man. The characters at the bottom are similar to Don Martin drawings (MAD Magazine).

25. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I can't answer that... I just know that I really dislike any other songs of theirs that I've heard (similar to my dislike of Journey).

And that's been from the get-go:

I actually gave my "Cornerstone" LP away to a friend who liked the band... wish I hadn't done that now since "Why Me" seems to be such a hard track to find.