Sub-$2K LOMC Recs for Rega P8

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jphabc54, Jul 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all -- sorry to start another "what cart should I buy" thread but, I'm starting another "what cart should I buy thread"...

I've had a Rega Planar 8 about a year now, on which I've been running a Hana SH (which I brought from my old Rega P2). The Hana is great, but I've decided I'd like to make the leap to low output. My primary interest in LOMC is to extract even more detail and feed it into a system that is otherwise very lush (details in profile and below).

The obvious answer is the Apheta 3, but I'm hesitant to buy a Rega cart based on reviews I've read. I would gladly be convinced otherwise based on other experiences, but I also like the idea of buying from a cartridge-focused manufacturer (big or small).

The other easy answer is to move up the Hana lined to the ML, which I haven't ruled out, but I also would be interested in what others think. I unfortunately don't have time for demos, as much as I would love to do so.

So beyond Rega and Hana, what LOMCs sound great AND play nice with your Regas (notably, no fine tuning VTA).

Also, I'm completely open to buying used in this price range.

Rest of system:

Rega Planar 8 --> DIY Phono Stage (one solid state with adjustable gain; one tube based requiring SUT -- if people care about details happy to share here) --> Rogue Cronus Magnum II --> Harbeth 30.1

2. james

james Summon The Queen

i was hesitant about buying a Rega cart because of _the internet_ too, but I took a chance on an Exact and it's better (on a RP6) than the Audio Technica and Denon carts I ran before it.

rischa, Eigenvector and jheyesen like this.
  3. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Just my input...

Love love love the sound of the Alpheta 2 on my RP10. When it is time to replace it I will go with the Alpheta 3. I have the Aria phono so it is also just the natural pairing.

Anyway, in another system I am due to replace the Exact on one of my RP6s, and I am pretty set on trying the Dynavector 20X2L with a 2mm shim.

cut-out likes this.
  4. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

That Dynavector 20x2L and the Ortofon Quintet Black were both recommended to me as being better than the Hana or Rega carts when I was shopping for my P8. Ended up going with the Apheta2 but have filed those recommendations away for later.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. james

james Summon The Queen

Yes, I have RP6 > Exact > Fono MM. there is some peace of mind knowing that all are good matches together. not to mention the peace of mind that comes with the 3 point mounting system.

did you try anything before the Exact?

6. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Just wondering (I simply do not know) what makes Rega tonearm (is it RB880) so sensitive to certain cartridges? I tried Hana SL on Rega 330 (or whatever parts Acoustic Solid used to assemble it's Rega clone) and it worked fairly well (but def not as good as with Origin Live Encounter mk3c). I remember trying to find specifications for Rega (and OL arm for that matter) and could not...
    Now I am mostly playing Benz Micro Wood SL and to my ears it is miles better then Hana SL (and in your price range), however I dismantle my Rega clone long time ago so do not know how good match it will be..

7. james

james Summon The Queen

the only thing I can think of is if the cartridge is off a proper compliance for the mass of the tone arm...and whether or not the cart’s height works with the standard tone arm VTA

8. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

And that what I was trying to find out - Rega's effective mass - and could not. On my table VTA could be adjusted pretty easy with a single screw, dunno about Rega. But most cartridges have the same height.

9. jphabc54

You nailed it — Rega does not publish exact specs for its tone arms. The best I can find is that effective mass of the RB880 is “probably” 11.5g. Compounding the challenge in looking at calculated resonance frequencies is that the cart manufacturers don’t always post compliance data in a standardized way that makes it easy to calculate. As such, doing the math for Rega — particularly their newer models — seems to be challenging.

I appreciate everyone’s input so far. I have had the Dynavector on my short list, as well as Benz Micro. My preferred local dealer used to sell Benz, but I’m not sure they still do.

FWIW, I have always shimmed my Ortofon and Hana carts on Rega TTs. Currently have the Hana SH at 2mm using the Rega spacer. It plays flawlessly, though I had it spaced a bit higher on the P2. I decided to split the difference and just use one shim on the RB880.

cut-out likes this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Haven't tried other carts on the RP6s yet. I have one RP6/Exact going into the Rega Fono, and another RP6/Exact into a Manley Chinook. The Rega Fono is great, but the much more expensive phono stage shows what the Exact can really do.

james likes this.
  11. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I would for sure put the Apheta3 on your short list.

Ortofon Cadenza Red and Cadenza Blue would also work well in "roughly" the same price points as the others.

Echoes Myron, jphabc54 and cut-out like this.
  12. jloweinmo

jloweinmo Forum Resident

I bought the close-out RP8 probably about the same time you bought your Planar 8. Mine came fitted with the Apheta2 for a very nice price. IMO, this is a source of friction with TT owners - getting a good deal with a TT but having to pony up some years later. Anyway, the combo has proven to be very very good, it took a few hundred hours but it is worth it. I actually am using the Rega FONO MC. I have a Rouge RP5 which is reported to have a very good phono-stage and I found the budget Rega PS beat it.

trd, jheyesen, Echoes Myron and 3 others like this.
  13. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

Around 11 gramms

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Sugar Man, jphabc54 and ThorensSme like this.
  15. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

@jphabc54 Where exactly is NoVa? Northern Virginia? I'm guessing that's right. Benz-Micro has ended there distribution relationship with Musical Surroundings. Distribution is now being handled throughout North America out of Canada directly by Benz-Micro. So this may explain why your dealer is no longer one of their dealers. Currently there aren't any US dealers listed on their new website. The one thing I've noticed is that models there were discontinued within North America years ago have been brought back. These include ACE and the Glider. If you click through their Canadian dealers, you can see the US pricing of the available models. I'm guessing that Musical Surrounding didn't want to carry the ACE and the Glider because of market overlap with their distribution of Hana products. Regardless I linked one of the dealers Benz Micro pricing pages.
    Benz Micro North America – Benz Micro Swiss Phono Cartridges
    Element Acoustics - Home of Hi-End Audio

jphabc54 likes this.
  16. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

I use an Exact with my P8 coupled to a Graham Slee Accession phono stage....no complaints whatsoever.

17. jphabc54

Thanks very much! Yes, Northern Virginia/Washington D.C. -- this explains a lot!

18. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

I’ve been running a Dynavector XX2 on a Rega P6 and it sounds great. 2mm shim.

19. jphabc54

Thanks everyone for the responses — ended up grabbing a used Benz Micro Wood SL — should be arriving today.

deniall83 likes this.
  20. deniall83

deniall83 Forum Resident

Do any of you guys get hum using LOMC carts on Rega tables? I never got any using HOMC carts but haven't tried LOMC.

21. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

I run the low output Hana SL on my P6 (Fono MC preamp) and experience no audible hum at normal to even fairly loud volume levels. If I really crank things, sure it’s there...but is always drowned out by the music, record surface noise, etc.

22. Lowgroove

Lowgroove Forum Resident

P6 with Dynavector XX-2 and no hum issues at all for me.

deniall83 and jheyesen like this.
  23. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I have tried at33ptgii, hana sl, ania, alpheta 2.
    None of those hummed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.