Sub $500 Phono Stages?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Go Mifune, Oct 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

2. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I think you can find some details about what models transformed into which newer model in threads in his forums.

You could also just post over in his forums. They're all (including the designer) very helpful and honest.

patient_ot and Go Mifune like this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If you can get the serial number, GS can tell you when it was made.

Go Mifune likes this.
  4. Go Mifune

Go Mifune Go speed racer, go! Thread Starter

They were great and got back to me. For anyone who is curious.

"The Era Gold V has remained pretty much the same from its introduction. We have redesigned the circuit board and components may have changed over time but we have always tried to make sure this has not had, or had very little, effect on the sound.

The mark IV was more like the early mark V but will be similar in sound, maybe with not quite the same larger soundstage."

Here are the most interesting pieces to me so far. Obviously tons of other good choices, too. I think the used pieces are all 20 years old. I'm less concerned about them still sounding good than I am about any potential problems that anything that old can have. I've yet to see anyone say a bad word about the Lounge. The Hagerman is tempting because it would mean my phono pre, my pre, and my amp were all tube. Something nice about the all tube presentation.
    • Graham Slee Era Gold (used)
    • Lounge LCR Mk III, possibly the silver (new)
    • Hagerman Comet 3 (new)
    • Creek OBH-8SE (used)
    • Rogue Audio Triton (used)

5. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

If not already added, the MM/MC Project Phono Box is a neat little phono stage, comes in at around just £90 in the UK, but I've been very impressed with a clean, detailed sound that's punching above its weight. Good build, decent connectivity, no USB, and unobtrusive. Recommended.

Go Mifune likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Of those I would buy G.S. Other people would tell you to buy something else. FWIW there was a member here that bought an older model demo EGV and was very happy with it.

I have Reflex M + PSU-1 and have no desire to use anything else except maybe trialing the Accession for an upgrade when the budget allows.

I looked at the Lounge at one point and I'm glad I didn't buy it. Not my cup of tea at all.

RE: the tube units, talk to tube guys about those - I can't help you there.

What I can tell you is that there are G.S. users that have tube gear, like tube integrated amps, preamps, power amps, etc. Maybe you can find someone at the G.S. forum that has similar tube pre/power amp stuff as you do.

7. Go Mifune

Getting things narrowed down. I've decided I want to stay with an tube phono stage. The Graham Slee is the one SS that I can't get out of my head, I'll admit.

The two tube front runners in this price range are the Hagerman Cornet 3 and the Les Box modded Yaqin 23B. They are based off the same tubes, but I'm not sure how similar the designs are. Sadly, I have not found many people who have heard both to give me a true comparison.

Any thoughts between these two from anyone on here?

8. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

A friend of mine has the Hagerman Cornet 3 and he loves it. He also uses the Ortofon 2m Blue with it. He has tried tube rolling and says he can hear a difference in the tubes. He has it connected to a Arcam system. BTW Hagerman used to offer this as a kit that you could build yourself for a cheaper price, but that does not seem to be the case anymore. my friend built the kit.

Dignan2000, Go Mifune and GKH like this.
  9. GKH

GKH Senior Member

The 30 Day Free Trial with the Cornet3 makes a good argument.
    For $419 delivered (mine arrived in 8 days from Honolulu), it's wonderful in my world.

Dignan2000, bluemooze and Go Mifune like this.
  10. Go Mifune

Jim said he got too many questions that took too much time. He also said lots of people ended up sending them back so he could troubleshoot. I wouldn't have the skills to build one anyway. I have been trying to figure out if anyone has designed a better, custom casing for it. The wall wart isn't my favorite for power either, but I've heard nothing but good things about the overall sound of the thing. Pretty sure I'm going to order one though I have not pulled the trigger yet.

GKH likes this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I’m gonna buy that Parasound USB phono as it got a mono button as well as a sub filter button. Got good reviews also:)

12. okc_craft

okc_craft It All Matters

I would urge you to
    I took a chance on a Little Bear T11 which is a Chifi knockoff of the EAR 834. It was ok, definitely had the tube sound, but lacked clarity and precision. Seems to me the Yaqin would fall into a similar category, and would probably be a week link in the fabulous system I have been watching you build on your several threads.

The Cornet seems promising, and I want to try one myself, but I honestly can’t find much fault with my Project Tubebox DS, which is running a pair of Bugle Boys. It has great flexibility for MC and MM, low noise floor, and fantastic tube tone and soundstage. I think in the sub $500 category it definitely stands above most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.