Substances/Techniques for removing price tags/stickers from LP covers & jewel cases?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john lennonist, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY... Thread Starter

I recall a thread or two from months ago that listed substances and techniques for removing price tags and stickers from LP covers and jewel cases without leaving any residue, marks, damage, etc.

I was unable to track down said thread(s) through the search engine.

Though at the moment I am more interested in how to remove them from LP covers, I figured I'd throw in jewel boxes for other interested parties.

Thanks.

2. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Goo Gone is good for jewel cases.

3. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Goo Gone is the way to go...works good on LP sleeves, too. Just dab it on with a Q-tip.

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Peanut butter works in a pinch.

5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Lighter fluid (which is naptha, a mixture of solvents) is the best thing you can use. It is better than Goo Gone, because it is safer on more surfaces. It is much better than most other solvents. You never want to use oil based solvents, as those can stain (so say goodbye to peanut butter). And it is faster and more reliable and works with more stickers than does the heat gun method.

Kwad

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Amen. Look no further.

7. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

WD-40 for jewel cases. :righton:

8. Charger

Charger Forum Resident

I've been using something called Motsenbocker's LiftOff 2 which works fantastic on CD cases. I'll bet it would work well on album covers as well. I bought it at a local HW store. This really is great stuff. :thumbsup:

http://www.liftoffinc.com/home.asp

Mike

9. Danny

Danny Forum Resident

Not sure where I picked it up, probably from here. For getting price stickers off of lp covers I've used a hair dryer with some success.

10. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I use isoprophal alcohol on jewel cases. Works a treat.

11. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

You mean isopropanol alcohol (isopropyl alcohol), possibly?

I have already tried isopropanol but it doesn't work with those security tags. Theoretically acetone should work but it will also destroy the jewel case.

regards,
    Helio

12. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

Must have been drinking too much of the stuff before typing...

13. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Acetone should NEVER be used. It is a great solvent in that MANY things are soluble in acetone. Like, for instance, the plastics used in jewel cases, the plastics used in vinyl LPs, certain album cover laminates, many inks.

Only bring acetone close to your music collection if you're about to lose it in a divorce settlement :)

Kwad

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That does work well and I follow that with some isopropanol to remove any remains of the WD-40 from the case.

Note - smoking is not recommended when performing this cleaning! Check MSDS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.