Subwoofer connection help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ptkc_123, Nov 16, 2022.

1. ptkc_123

ptkc_123 Member Thread Starter

Hi all! I am needing a little help connecting a subwoofer to my receiver. I have a powered Yamaha subwoofer that only has one singular Subwoofer Out port (LFE). However, my receiver does not have a Sub In connection, only Speaker B connections (speaker wire/banana cable) that have nothing plugged into them.

My thought is that I can connect the sub to the receiver and turn on both A+B speakers. Is it possible to go from my sub to the receiver? If so, what is the best method and what sort of cables would I need?

Thanks in advance!

2. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

To make things easier, perhaps you can state the model of your Yamaha sub and the receiver?

ptkc_123 and Ingenieur like this.
  3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Without knowing what equipment can't help.
    It sounds like the sun is a HT model with only a LFE line input.

You can't use speaker outputs to drive it.
    What model is the receiver?

you may need something like this
    Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker-level to Line-level Adapter

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2022
    slybry2 and ptkc_123 like this.
  4. ptkc_123

Sure! The subwoofer is a Yamaha NS-SW40 and the receiver is an Insignia NS-STR514. Thanks.

5. Ingenieur

Your receiver has line outs but they won't work. No volume control.
    You need a speaker level to line level adapter, one that combines to mono if you can find one.

ptkc_123 likes this.
  6. ptkc_123

The sub itself has a volume knob--will that not work?

7. Ingenieur

No
    When you adjust for an amp volume level when you change it on the amp the sub won't change.

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

The Pinhead and Ingenieur like this.
  9. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I've looked through the owner's manuals for both the sub and receiver and...

I think the best option is to sell the sub and get something that will work with that receiver.

Trying to make it work is a kluge at best. It's part of a full surround sound speaker package designed to work with an AVR that has a line level subwoofer output (and bass management).

Look for a sub that has speaker-level inputs, and better yet, speaker level-inputs AND outputs, with a high pass filter, since your receiver is not capable of doing bass management.

THAT will sound way way better than the kluge approach.

Jeff

Alright4now and head_unit like this.
  10. jeffmackwood

Not to leave the OP hanging, here's a very specific suggestion for a sub that would work great with his receiver: the Definitive Technology ProSub 800.

A quick search finds one for sale here.

To add a little cred to my suggestion...

First off, I'm a big fan of low-priced Yamaha "YST" subs. I use a few of them in a variety of "budget" systems around my home. But as I mentioned in my previous post, the OP's sub is a very bare-bones (functionality-wise) Yamaha sub - albeit "YST."

In addition, I happen to own and use a Def Tech ProSub 800 - which I bought a few years ago at a thrift store for next to nothing.

I've used it as part of an outdoor "driveway" theatre where I showed a variety of open-air movies for my neighbours during Covid's darkest hours. (No problem with Rocky Horror at very high volume levels during my Halloween offering last year!) I'm currently using it in my just-built basement library, in support of a pair of Minimus-7 speakers. It does not get more budget than that. With its fixed 80 Hz HPF, the Def Tech sub provides solid bass support well down into the '30s, while taking the load off the Minimus-7s.

Jeff

11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

You could try this for under $20:
    1. Connect speaker leads of this adapter to the "B" terminals on the rear of your receiver
    2. Connect this "stereo-to-mono" adapter to the outputs of adapter above
    3. Connect mono adapter to the input on your sub using this cable.

Set speaker selector on receiver to "A+B". Receiver volume knob will control volume to your main speakers and also the sub. Use the level control on rear of sub to set volume relative to the mains. Hopefully, it will maintain that balance as you change volume on the receiver.

As said above, it's a "kludge" but should work reasonably well if you don't want to spend much.

Ingenieur likes this.
  12. Foster

Foster Well-Known Member

Do you have the owners manual for the sub?
    If not look online for a pdf of same.

I bet Yamaha will suggest possible or likely connection schemes.

Also, https://www.dspeaker.com/ would work, though not free/cheap.

Foster

13. jeffmackwood

Manual

As I said in my first post, the sub is part of a 5.1 surround speaker package. And as such it has but an ON/OFF button, line-level RCA input, and volume control. It is intended to be used with an AVR that will handle the bass management duties. The manual gives but one connection scheme: connect RCA cable from AVR to sub input.

Jeff

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  14. ptkc_123

Jeff -- thank you so much, this is actually really helpful. My gut is telling me to just get a different sub with speaker-level inputs... but I also kind of want to try and make this work. Thanks very much for your knowledge!

15. ptkc_123

Sounds easy enough! Think I may just try this. Thanks very much!

16. ptkc_123

This is true. I got the sub as a freebie with something else I bought so just trying to see what I can do with it.