Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Subwoofer recommendation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael Petrillo, Feb 23, 2021 at 3:29 PM.

1. Michael Petrillo

Michael Petrillo New Member Thread Starter

Looking to add some low-end to compliment B&W 703 S2's. Not looking for overly big, loud, thumping bass and don't listen to much of the "bass forward" new music. Rather wanting just a little more of the acoustic bass in Mile's Davis's So What as a Jazz example and Steely Dan's Babylon Sister for rock. Thanks

2. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

I haven’t tried a bunch but love my REL.
    I didn’t wan5 boomy bass either. Musically bass. It gives me that and is fast

3. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Music is medicine, dose often.

I love my Rythmik L12. It's extremely tunable. Get yourself a sub w/ continuously variable phase adjustment (as opposed to one with a switch to choose between 0 degrees or 180).

Audiofan1 and luckybaer like this.
  4. fish

fish Forum Resident

5. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I have a SVS SB-1000 paired with my Dynaudio Evoke 10 in a 12x18 room. Great combo - nice, tight, impactful bass.

Hazelmullins likes this.
  6. Hazelmullins

Hazelmullins Forum Resident

I really like the svs subs, particularly the sealed SB-1000.

luckybaer likes this.
  7. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I've posted a lot about subwoofers. Just do a Forum search for "subwoofer" against my name to see them all.

Jeff

luckybaer likes this.
  8. luckybaer

The SB-1000 is a very musical sub. If I had a huge room or if I were doing home theater, perhaps I'd go for a larger sealed design or a ported design with more bottom end. However, for my needs - smaller room, only music - the sealed SVS is awesome!

Hazelmullins likes this.
  9. Alright4now

Alright4now Well-Known Member

10. fish

fish Forum Resident

Does it have a Speaker-level input? I much prefer it, it implants the character and speed of your AMP to the sub amp. Otherwise you're bypassing the AMP and only getting the Preamp's characteristics. Its nitpicking but I think it matters. I use an older KRK Studio behemoth of a sub that Only has Balanced XLR inputs. I went a bought a REL Airship and use an RCA to XLR adapter. I think it sounds better.

11. luckybaer

[​IMG]
    Yes, it has speaker-level inputs.

12. fish

fish Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hahahaha :-D

luckybaer likes this.
  13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

A Velodyne or Rythmik servo sub. Once you go servo there's no going back.

aunitedlemon likes this.