Subwoofer suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I thought so but my RELs have integrated better than the two subs that had variable phase, one with an app- (JL Audio D110, Martin Logan Dyanmo 800x). I literally could not get either of them to integrate after years of use as I have been able to integrate the RELs after two months. Something about the speed of the signal through the REL amp that causes no delay to the main speakers.
    I was skeptical about them but talking to owners (here) and my dealer convinced me to give them a try.

bever70 and Helom like this.
  2. avanti1960

The RELs are more subtle than sledgehammer home theater subs. Once the level is set you can forget it. When recordings call for bass you will get the right amount and it will sound like it should. Another aspect is distance from wall. If your sub is to close to the wall, it most likely will have a sharp peak in the response that will cause you to want to turn it down when that note is played.
    Keep the sub 12" from the wall and there will not be a peak to worry about.

3. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Rel fills all your criteria...except for the remote control. Why would you want remote control for a sub ? Once a Rel is setup, it's setup for life, no need for a remote. Do you want to fiddle with adjustments for each recording to adjust for your own taste instead of hearing how it was recorded/mastered or why would you need a remote ?

rischa and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  4. avanti1960

agreed. i have found that subs that start "blasting" too loudly on a given recording are not positioned properly- usually too close to the wall- which gives them a very high peak at a give note. When that note is played- you think "turn it down" ! . Move the sub from the wall and all is smooth and well.

Yellow Rubber Jacket and pdxway like this.
  5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I agree that it may not be easy to integrate typical subs without a preamp with distance adjustments. After doing preamp's auto room setup, I can see that in distance menu, the subs distances were set at twice the physical distance of my subs. That means there is delay of signals through the subs as compared to speakers.

6. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

This is a good point for all wanting a sub. I think many believe a sub will act like a bass knob control, turn the knob to the right and you will hear more bass...which is not accurate.
    If you are not hearing low end in your music it is probably that the music was mixed with little low end added, so it simply is not there to hear. Or your system is not capable of reproducing say 50hz and below, either from the cartridge or other downstream gear. Adding a sub and crossing over where your mains cut off will enhance the low end. SVS and I think Rythmic go below 20Hz, so they can recreate those ultrasub frequencies that help give you that full freq range of music....why cut yourself short? You will need to buy a T9 to get a 10" driver.

bever70 likes this.
  7. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

This :edthumbs:

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Read the OP. Can't use it so it doesn't fit my criteria.

9. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

10. Strat-Mangler

11. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

I supposed it is possible. But built-in high level input on subs maybe also is extra connections with similar implementation?

SVS has 45 days trial (at least in US, not sure about Canada). I supposed you can also return that wire to RCA adapter if it doesn't sound good to you.

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

I don't have a specific model to recommend, but will say I won't have a sub without remote after using my SB3000.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

No American company has that over here. The shipping fees to and from would be crazy.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Just got one of these for a system in a house near the beach, big cathedral ceiling, Focal Aria 936/CC 900/surrounds. Currently the 5.1 is running fullrange. REALLY NICE. Impressive from the packaging on, well thought out engineering.* Adds just a lovely je ne sais quoi to the sound, more solid, more full. Not at all boomy; I'm really picky about that. AND has some equalization capability to help match the room, useful with your amplification which does not.

As for the app, it's also running on iOS. I really wouldn't worry about the app much. I'd bet SVS will keep running the same app going forward, no reason to change it wholesale, and there are always cheap used phones. You can even run an extra SIM-less used phone as a kind of dedicated remote if you like. The app is easy to use-there's a gain setting and you can just +/- for songs and volume levels that need it. If you feel really paranoid you can then turn off WiFi so it never updates and wipes the app somehow by accident (the app runs on bluetooth)

*example of a cool tiny detail: box finish is glossy piano black. Grille matte. ?!?! I think to myself-it should match!! But when I sat on the couch, I realized the FRONTS of the speakers are NOT gloss because they are matte grilles. If the sub grille was gloss it would actually look terrible. So nothing against REL or JL or whatever, but I'll highly recommend SVS.

15. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

That's interesting. I've come to believe that with subs, integration is nearly everything; and what integrates best is quite different in every situation.

16. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

The Vandersteen 2WQ is an incredible bargain on the used market, and is the most invisible, seamlessly-integrated subwoofer that I’ve heard. It basically just extends your speakers. There is no booming, unless the source material contains booming. It’s fast, it’s accurate, and it’s musical. They can be run as a single sub or in pairs. They work with virtually any speaker except really high efficiency speakers (100db+). No remote, but why would you need one? Huge bargain used - I just sold a pair for $300 each. New version (Sub Three) is even better, but more expensive.

17. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

If your sub is dialed in properly you will not need a remote. No matter how loud you turn it up it's not going to magically fill in musical notes that aren't there in the recording. It's going to sound artificial/off.

Subs help by fleshing out those bottom octaves of the recording that your speakers are incapable of producing ~ not making up for something that isn't there in the first place.

The whole idea of proper sub integration should be that it is set seamlessly with your mains and then forget it's even there ... in my listening space you do not even realize I have a sub until I turn it off.

If you need to change the sound of a recording try an EQ like the Decware Z Rock II or Schiit has an EQ as well, but the Decware is specifically made for bass shy recordings.

Mike-48 and bever70 like this.
  18. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

This is a good time to say, the objective of a sub is to integrate, not stand out. I have two HUGE subs with 18" drivers in each one, perfect for a Star Wars movie, but hey, if I could go back and do it all again, give me the little 10-12" driver in a modest size sealed enclosure, that is all 98% of the people need, unless you are one of those people watching the Star Wars movies, certainly not necessary for beautiful stereo music enjoyment. I probably use 1/10th of the amps power, I never turn my subs up, wish I could just jump into a couple of nice small SVS subs in gloss black cabinets, it's all I would ever need, and probably all you would ever need! I would gladly leave the earthquakes to the movie crowd! :righton:

19. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Have you contacted SonicBoomAudio, Canada's official SVS rep? They're in your neck of the woods (Canada-wise). I bought my PB13-Ultra from them. They've also helped with parts for a used SVS sub that I bought.

Jeff

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. marysdad

marysdad Forum Resident

The SVS SB-1000 is a 12-inch and has high-level inputs. Meets your criteria except for no remote control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.