Subwoofers : what if...thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Pinhead, May 25, 2023.

1. sepsism

sepsism Degenerate Metalhead

Move house and get two SVS PB16 ultras dude :pineapple:

Or two Klipsch RP-1600SWs :D (or whatever their "beast" sub is, yet to be announced).

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL Thread Starter

In another life maybe, with a bigger budget, a bigger home, etc.

3. sepsism

sepsism Degenerate Metalhead

I hear ya. I'm absolutely maxed out for space in our lounge at the moment, 12" subwoofer is the biggest that will fit squished into the corner.

One day ... one day ...

The SVS SB-1000 pro sounds like the goer!

Rick58 and The Pinhead like this.
  4. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

This. You can always get rid of the couch and just put your cushions on top of the subs.

Aftermath, The Pinhead and sepsism like this.
  5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

That’s what I have, highly recommended.

Figure out your lowest room modes and use the app to DECREASE the output at those frequencies. Result is smooth flat bass to 20Hz.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: my room does also have treatment including corner bass traps, highly recommended.

33na3rd, Glmoneydawg, Kyhl and 4 others like this.
  6. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

If you can get a Rythmik sub, it has a 1 band parametric EQ. Set it to 44 Hz and dial down the gain, adjust that and Q to taste (if adjusting Q is possible).

Your room has a couple modes around 44Hz and the next one is close to 65Hz, your possible crossover frequency.

You can also just use 1 or 2 of the EQs in the SB1000 Pro.

Actually, my crossover is at … 50Hz and the strongest mode in my room is at 63Hz. I don’t know for sure what my 63Hz notch filter is doing but things don’t rattle at 63Hz like they do otherwise (with frequency sweeps and spot tones). I think my speakers being out into the room a bit helps suppress their output at that frequency too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    33na3rd and The Pinhead like this.
  7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Dimensions? Pictures? Stack one on top of another? I will say we really like an SVS SB-2000 Pro we run in a very large and cathedral ceiling room. Sounds great with many varieties of rock and jazz and country, and movies like Master And Commander. To recreate Motorhead's insanely loud Another Perfect Day tour, eh, don't know that it could do that. Break your windows or call neighborhood elephants to gather...nah.

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Nor do I, so I can’t say I blame the sub.

I am on my second pair of SVS subs. First I had a pair of SB2000’s and 6 months ago I upgraded to a pair of SB2000 Pros. My listening room is approximately the same dimensions as yours. When I bought my first SVS SB 2000, I bought just a single unit. It was adequate for my purposes, but I did have to move it around a bit to get the best positioning and make it disappear. Back then SVS had an upgrade program where you could go dual within a certain time period and the second one was discounted. This was the route I took after a couple of months and I was able to get the two subs to disappear and give smooth sound. The new SB2000 Pros are faster than the SB2000 models and the app is great. It is fairly easy to get your subs dialed in, but if you want to go in under the hood and really tinker you can do that too.

SVS has great customer support and I have recommended SVS to several friends. They called up the toll free number and / or used the online chat function on their website. They said the people they talked to were very helpful and they did not feel like they were being upsold to more than they needed. This is what I suggest that you do too. Call them armed with the dimensions of your room, a list of the equipment you are going to pair with the subs, your desired listening level etc. Some pictures of the room might be helpful or a diagram of the room. Call them and tell them of your concerns and see what they have to say. I would caution you that this weekend might not be an ideal time to call them. This is a three day holiday weekend here in the US in honor of Memorial Day which is Monday, May 29th. SVS typically has a big sale on this weekend.

Do I think a single SB-1000 could work? Yes I do depending on your expectations. Will it be able to give you some decent bass extension like you are used to? Probably as long as you don’t try to drive it to nightclub-like, ear watering levels. Also if you have the level set correctly you should not hear your sub in action. You should notice it more when it is turned off and you will notice something is missing. Natural sounding bass is possible, but it you are looking for enhanced bigger-than-life bass, I think the SB 1000 will struggle to do that. But see what they say. Another consideration would be placement options. If you were able to get your previous single sub to disappear in the room, the same should be true of a single SVS sub.

If you do pull the trigger, I would suggest springing fro the SVS SoundPath Sound Isolation System. These are 4 replacement feet to help decouple and isolate the subs from the floor. This should help cut down on buzzes and rattles in the floors and walls,

Good luck in your hunt!!

Sibe717, 33na3rd and The Pinhead like this.
  9. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

I’ve listened to the SB1000 Pro in a room that’s about the same size as yours. It’s not great for HT. Can dig low but not super punchy. If you aren’t trying to recreate what you hear in a good cinema, it will work fine. It does have nice textured low end. Around 40Hz.

10. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I can vouch for the SVS Soundpath Isolation feet as well. I have them on both SB-2000s and they isolate them very, very well.

11. 80smusicsean

80smusicsean Forum Resident

I have an SVS SB-2000 (not Pro). I believe I paid $500 about 3 months back. I've kept the box and everything with the intention to potentially use their upgrade program. I'll get that $500 back to be applied to the upgrade I choose, which is awesome!

My room is about 21' x 13' (but it's really got a dining room open to make it an L-shape, so probably 26' x 13' (with the sub at the corner of the long end of the L and then my listening space is 21' x 13 -- and that's the small side of the L). Confused yet? Anyway, I listen to a lot of 80s, but I also have modern hip hop like Kenrick Lamar and Tyler the Creator and Mac Miller . . . I love good bass.

I want the Pro version for the app and want to better understand placement perfection. As I think about using the upgrade program, I am deciding between the SB-1000 ($100 upgrade) or 2000 Pro ($400 upgrade). I don't need overkill, but I want to make sure I future-proof in case I move. I never considered the PB versions since they seemed to be more for home theater listening and I am just vinyl 2.1 channel. My Emotiva BasX TA2 does allow me to isolate bass as a frequency I select to send only to the Subwoofer.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    Sibe717, The Pinhead and timind like this.
  12. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have the SVS Soundpath Isolation feet on both my subs.......I don't know the difference as I never used them with the supplied feet. But my subs disappear in the room, regardless how loud I play my jam

Sibe717, The Pinhead and 33na3rd like this.
  13. Sibe717

Sibe717 Active Member

I love mine. Just got the isolation kit.

14. Sibe717

Sibe717 Active Member

my room seems about the same as yours and I just got the sb 1000 pro and isolation feet. It performs very well. I too have the Emotiva but in their BasX monoblocks and Monitor Audio Silver 300s.

80smusicsean and timind like this.
  15. 80smusicsean

80smusicsean Forum Resident

Okay, you've helped me decide. At some point in the coming months, I'll get the energy to box this back up and upgrade and live without a sub for a few weeks. ;-)

Sibe717 likes this.
  16. Sibe717

Sibe717 Active Member

I have the sb 1000 pro in a room a little larger than that and they do the job nicely. Definitely not timid. Their isolation feet do wonders as well.

33na3rd and The Pinhead like this.
  17. The Pinhead

Right. Mine is ported and I'm afraid the 1000 will be weak for the volumes I crave (up to 85dbs peak; reference levels) Weirdly enough, I hate feeling bass; just want to hear it. Some reviews on Amazon are terrifying:

This is sealed subwoofer and doesn’t fill the room. You would barely feel that you have subwoofer.

This sub either needs a large wattage receiver or its a blend in subwoofer, because you have to turn up the volume all the way to hear bass

the bass gets drowned out even at 80% volume on the sub.

the volume was way too low even at max volume. I then decided to try the Monoprice 12” 400W RMS and was blown away on how loud and nice the Monoprice sub

The quality of bass is tight and good but there simply isn't enough of it, even at max gain. Pair it with an efficient speakers and you can barely hear it... in a small room, at normal listening levels. Should have bought the Monolith 10in

ZERO presence, completely dull and flat and still disturbingly subdued at that

Although the bass sound is very clear, but I was very disappointed that the power for the volume is over rated. The volume is much less than my old M&K 75 watt subwoofer.

tIANcI likes this.
  18. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

I'll say it again. The SVS rep said the SB-3000 was a big jump up the line. All the "problems" listed above are not present with the 3000. 325W vs. 800W. It's barely bigger than the 1000 in size. Grab one of the scratch and dent one's if budget is an issue. Just had "The Woof" - as the wife calls it - cranking last night and all her friends were laughing and twerking like it was a frat party. No brainer.

33na3rd likes this.
  19. The Pinhead

They only import the smallest one due to tax restrictions.

20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I would take those Amazon reviews with a grain of salt. A good sub for music should not make itself obvious and it appears most of those reviewers believe otherwise.

This idiot seems to think the receiver has something to do with powering the sub.

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  21. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

This is why I prefer subs with an input gain control or high level inputs. Many a time, the amplifier’s output via RCA is kinda low.

The Pinhead likes this.
  22. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Wow!...calling someone an idiot on here?You must think very highly of yourself.If you're really that bright you should perhaps consider being helpfull...or at least try to keep these kind of opinions contained inside your cranium.

23. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

LOL at you.

24. The Pinhead

I think the guy meant the sub's vol controp, which is a recurrent complaint with this model. I think I'd go ported, used to one as I am.

25. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Perhaps, but I doubt it.

What I don't doubt is those folks seem to think a music sub should make itself known like a HT sub. They want thump, thump, boom.

Regardless, I hope it works out for you.