Success with 2 different lead singers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chains, Nov 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Come on, wake up and smell the coffee.

"Black Lodge" peaked at 53.
    "Nothing" peaked at 89.
    "Inside Out" peaked at 95.

Those aren't hits, no matter how much you try to stretch it. Of all the hills to die on, claiming Anthrax were having hits when their singles didn't even get into the top 80 is a strange one to choose.

2. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Don't forget the Robert Fleischman...months.

seacliffe301 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Those aren’t the rock chart peaks right? I kid you not I never ever heard a belladonna era track on my local rock station until worship music came out. My local station did play bush era stuff still even in 2006. I knew they had albums out because i always heard at least one new single. My buddy worked for Camelot music . I bought vol 8 maybe 3 months after it came out and my buddy already told me the label was having issues and they probably can’t order more into the store . That says a lot to me

7solqs4iago likes this.
  4. Gov't Mule

Gov't Mule Forum Resident

Add in Steve Augeri between Steve Perry and Arnel Pineda. Jeff Scott Soto was also in there, but I don't know if he's considered a member or a fill-in.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

He has at least one lead on every album except 16.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  6. Gov't Mule

Gov't Mule Forum Resident

Exodus with Paul Baloff, Steve Souza and Rob Dukes replacing each other over various stints.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

we are going to hear none Of Those singers were successful

8. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

fair enough, i just know the hits and he seemed to disappear after Peter took over

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Lamm actually wrote more hits than he sang. Beginnings, Does Anybody Really Know and Saturday in the Park were really about it. Even in the "old days," Cetera sang the most hits, followed by Kath.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  10. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

sometimes they each took over a verse of a hit song... Danny/Chuck/Cory

11. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

UK Singles charts. Between 1987 and 1993 they had 7 Top 40 singles. UK shows went from 2 nights at the Hammersmith Odeon (10,000 tickets) to The Astoria (1,800), and from the Birmingham NEC in 1989 (14,000 tickets) to the Wolverhampton Wulfrun - 14 miles away - at 800 capacity in 2004.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

what were ticket sales after joey returned prior to them appearing with the big 4 and giving them their high profile again? you keep telling us UK stats so i'm guessing you are from there. things can be scewed. for instance over in the uk twisted sister was headlining huge festivals. here in the states they rarely played because there are fewer festivals to headline. when they played by themselves it was to maybe 2500 people. guess what though, JJ and DEE say they were more successful touring when they reunited than they were in the mid 80's. I can't see how that's possible at all outside of maybe they got more per show but that really means nothing if you can't draw by yourself

13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Ticket sales after Joey came back improved, but not by much - they were supporting Motorhead in Brixton in 2014 and Slayer at Wembley in 2018.

The key point is "success with 2 different lead singers". The John Bush years weren't very successful.

If Joey isn't singing, not that many people are interested.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. sinistrail sentinel

sinistrail sentinel Forum Resident

15. sinistrail sentinel

Berlin

From what I understand Terri Nunn was the band's original vocalist, but left before the band cut their first LP Information (with Virginia Macolino taking over on vocals). Nunn returned to the band for their second release, the Pleasure Victim EP, and well you know the rest. Kinda counts, right?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  16. Tattooed Headshrinker

Tattooed Headshrinker Accidentally Like A Martyr

If you squint hard enough, you could consider Velvet Revolver. They certainly had more G N' R members than Axl's Chinese Democracy "official" lineup.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. sinistrail sentinel

Queensryche

Todd La Torre replaced an ousted Geoff Tate, and while sales did not match the great heights of Operation: Mindcrime or Empire, I think many fans agree the new albums were an artistic success over Dedicated to Chaos!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Dave SouthernMan

Dave SouthernMan Member

Wetton bit of a stretch but Shaw as well!

19. Dave SouthernMan

Dave SouthernMan Member

Comes down to definition of Successful then we are in murky territory.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

They were massive in pockets of the States during the Mike Murphy years and had moderate national success.

Two of out three of the albums that Mike sang on made the US top 100 charts and the one that didn't - Ridin' The Storm Out - was eventually certified platinum. Bitter sweet, for Mike himself. I suppose, given that he wasn't desperately involved in the making of that one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.