Success with 2 different lead singers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chains, Nov 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

You left out Toto's 2 most successful lead singers....David Paich and Steve Lukather

2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Via Scotland.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. Well, someone has to say it:

Queen

Whether you like Adam (or Paul Rodgers), very successful tours and now a no 1 live album. Just a great testament to the power of those songs and the ability to put on a great show.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yea I am not altogether sure that in the case of Inxs that the replacement singers ever came even vaguely close to the success the band had with Michael Hutchence.

ARK and Luisboa like this.
  5. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Little Feat - their biggest commercial success was post Lowell George.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think it is fair to say the band was successful with Syd on lead vocals, and was then successful with Roger and Dave sharing most of the lead vocals.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Bad Company

Matthew Tate and ARK like this.
  8. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Marillion - it has been a long haul and while they are not quite back at arena level they are definitely getting there. Sadly (for people who like listening to the music) the O2 inevitably beckons.

Fischman, MrCJF and carlwm like this.
  9. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Filling the Albert Hall is still a big deal in UK touring. Maybe half the size of Wembley Arena where they did the last Fish tour and the first H tour, but still pretty big.

danielbravo and Bassist like this.
  10. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

Blood, Sweat & Tears

11. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Ok. I was thinking of this more of a Waters/Gilmour change, my mistake :righton: . Anyway Barrett was for sure the lead singer but afterwards there was not at all a lead singer figure.

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

Iron Maiden
    Paul Di' Anno » Bruce Dickinson (Not Dickinson » You Know Who)

13. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Perfect examples.

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

The Monkees

Although all four of them had lead vocal cuts on their albums, Peter Tork never had a solo lead vocal on a single-The closest he came of course was the lead and answer vocal on with Micky Dolenz on their hit "Words"...

The three remaining Monkees all had successful lead vocals on charting singles, with Micky Dolenz and Davy Jones having the most leads.

15. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Santana
    Tower of Power

Both bands had success with numerous lead singers over the years. However, with both bands (unlike most bands), the lead singer wasn't the focal point of the band.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Earth, Wind & Fire
    The 5th Dimension

17. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

Joy Division / New Order ?

Different bands I suppose.

hangwire13, jimmytheshoe and Luisboa like this.
  18. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Rainbow

Joe Lynn Turner
    Ronnie James Doo
    Graham Bonnet

(Not sure of the order)
    Hit albums with all three. But as with Santana, the guitarist was always the main man.

Matthew Tate and danielbravo like this.
  19. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Faith No More

NapalmBrain likes this.
  20. Essan

Essan Forum Resident

Runrig

newelectricmuse likes this.
  21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Undoubtedly they are/were successful. What I meant was that I am not sure how successful they were during the brief time Judy Dyble was their lead singer.

22. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

Re The Hollies

Allan Clarke sang lead on most UK / USA hits

however

Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks, Graham Nash all took verse leads on 'Carrie Anne' in 1967

while 'Just One Look' and 'Here I Go Again' (both 1964) were sung by all three in harmony - Graham Nash singing the bridge vocals on 'Just One Look'
    ('I thought I was dreamin' but I was wrong...' etc)

Tony Hicks has a featured lead vocal section on 'Look Through Any Window' ('and you can see the little children all around...')
    otherwise sung by Clarke and Clarke-Hicks-Nash in 1965

Graham Nash took initial lead vocal on 'On A Carousel' and 'King Midas in Reverse' before Clarke joins in...and Nash sang the 'intro and outro' vocals on 'Dear Eloise' otherwise sung by Clarke (all in 1967)

Graham Nash has a featured vocal section on 'Listen To Me' ('please listen...listen to me') otherwise sung by Clarke and Clarke-Nash in 1968

Terry Sylvester sang a section of 'Gasoline Alley Bred' in 1970 ('I'm a gonna heat me some water, put a shine upon my shoes...' etc) otherwise sung by Clarke

Mike Rickfors sang 'The Baby' and 'Magic Woman Touch' (Sylvester sang the bridge section on the latter- 'I've made up my mind on what I'm gonna do...' etc) both in 1972

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    CheshireCat and Crimson Witch like this.
  23. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

The Moody Blues

'Go Now', 'I Don't Want To Go On Without You', 'Everyday' etc - with Denny Laine (also 'Bye Bye Bird' in France)

'Nights in White Satin', 'Question', 'Blue World' (UK), 'Once Upon A Time ('You're Wildest Dream) (USA) - with Justin Hayward

other songs featuring John Lodge, Ray Thomas and Mike Pinder taking harmony lead vocals with Justin have been hits worldwide too plus Mike on 'Melancholy Man' in France

24. Success with three different lead singers - Nightwish with Tarja Turunen, then Anette Olzon, then Floor Jansen.

Limopard likes this.
  25. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

They've also had Richard Thompson, Dave Swarbrick, Simon Nicol and Chris Leslie (among others) singing regular lead vocals apart from Sandy Denny and Judy Dyble. I don't think they had much time to be successful while Judy was with them, but they've had several singers since Sandy.

carlwm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.