successful fix on cantilever

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by twelvealo, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twelvealo

twelvealo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was wondering if anyone on here has successfully straightened a cantilever that was cockeyed at the suspension. I had an accident on my at540ml and noticed it was slightly moved to the side. I went for broke (no pun intended) and straightened it back to the middle. I put on a test record that i use as a listening sample after i’ve done alignments or adjustments, and it sounded fine. It ate at my mind so much that i used a geo-disc to fine tune it, and to my surprise it was pretty much dead on. I say pretty much since i barely put pressure on the cart body to get the cantilever perfectly straight on the line. Played the same test record after the geo-disc and found the results to be better than before i had the accident!..played a few more records and was shocked by the amount of detail and the way it handled sibilance and IGD... I feel like i can walk away from it and keep playing records till the stylus has reached it’s worn replacement period. What do y’all think and also, i’d like some feedback on the results of geo-disc alignments. Thanks

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

If it looks and sounds fine theres nothing to it, its fine. Im not aware of any harmful cart behaviour that is not visually or audibly detectable.

twelvealo likes this.
  3. twelvealo

twelvealo Forum Resident Thread Starter

thank you for the feedback. i’m gonna keep it spinning till the stylus is done. the hard part is to not think about the fact that i “fixed” it. i’m probably gonna get the vm95ml when it comes time to replace it...and be a heck of a lot more careful around the turntable, especially if i’ve been drinking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.