Sugden British Handmade Amps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rattlin' Bones, Jul 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer Thread Starter

Tell me about Sugden integrated amps. Seems to be a small boutique British hi-fi amp manufacturer. I found an interesting Optima 80 Integrated for sale, but don't know much about Sugden or the reputation of these amps. I did an extensive Google search and turned up some info, but not a lot.

Daedalus likes this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

One of the premier names in Class A SS amps, very good reputation.

bluenosens likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Doesn't look like that model is in their current lineup. I'd try to figure out when it was made. Could be 20+ years old. Don't be surprised if it needs TLC at this point. New Sugden gear is expensive FYI, like $3K+ for an integrated.

4. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Sugden go back to the late 1960 s.
    Very reliable sonically superb in particular, their class A integrated amplifiers.
    Their Masterclass cd players also
    Top notch.
    I realised years ago that class A
    Is sweet and dynamic and will have you on the edge of your seat.
    Irrespective of volume setting.
    I don't t use their products

No particular reason why not.
    MUSICAL fidelity another manufacturer
    Who used to build some class A amps,
    May still do for all I know.

5. Rattlin' Bones

1997-1998. Yup 22 years old.

6. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Their class a amps do produce a fair amount of heat from what I’ve read. Their current amps are on my wishlist but may be too pricey.

Archguy likes this.
  7. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I think all of the current MF Amps are class a/b , not positive, owned by Project now.

8. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I'm a Sugden dealer, but came on board well after the particular model you are asking about. Their current gear is quite good, and really a pretty good bargain as the price points are not crazy high. The A21SE and ANV50 are 2 of my favorite integrated that I sell.

Stonehenge and Ivand like this.
  9. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

I have an A21 SE Sig. and it is a fabulous integrated amp., though only about 30wpc. It does run hot, but comparable to the Pass xa30.8 in sound quality, though not as powerful .

GoldprintAudio and bluenosens like this.
  10. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

curious what do the 21se models go for?

11. Rattlin' Bones

I think $3,500 or thereabouts.

12. Rattlin' Bones

If the Optima 80 is Class A and runs hot then I really can't use it in my system.

13. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Sugden's a21 is considered a classic amplifier. It is the only one that is pure class A and runs hot. Masterclass too but these are newer amps. Optima will be class A/B and run cool.

Before becoming a reviewer I was shopping based off the hi-fi press in the mid 1990s and I compared the Arcam Delta 290ia which got raves in Stereophile and other magazines touting it as the greatest affordable integrated ever made. Sugden didn't advertise and was an unknown to me then. I preferred the sound of the A21 from Sugden over anything else in the store but wound up buying the Arcam because of the the press hype.

That was a mistake which I regretted because the Arcam was pretty tin can sounding (like most class D and SS I have heard over the years) and because the buttons would fall off and the speaker connectors broke easily. Meh. One of the reasons to become a reviewer is when you realize you have vastly better taste and hearing than the people writing reviews. The Sugden walked all over the Arcam but the latter got all of the press. I never bought the A21 but I did buy the A48 which was, oddly enough, more valve sounding than the A21a. It was a 65 watt class A/B amp but had more depth and ambiance than the Musical Fidelity A300 and beat out an ARC set-up at the time. The A48b was $350 Canadian second hand so it was no brainer. The A48B isn't a hi-fi sounding amplifier so the A300 had more air and a bigger soundstage on the Paradigm floorstanders I tested it on - but the Sugden was better at depth and tone.

The only issue the Sugdens have today is from steeper competition from tube amplifiers. For instance the Audio Note OTO Phono SE I purchased back in 2003 sounded better than the Sugden A21 and I could live with a 10 watt amp - I mean the Sugden was around 20 watts so if you can live with 20 you can probably live with 8-10. Now in 2020 both amps have gone up in price but it still the same thing - the OTO sounds better and costs the same. There has also been a big increase in the number of tube amplifiers available today from Line Magnetic, Octave, Melody Valve, Audio Space, etc so if buying new you sort of have to determine how these amps will compare to the Sugden. For me I would only go the Sugden route if I really just don't want to deal with tubes.

The Optima amps came out after the A48B which was early 1990s. The B designation was an upgrade on the A48. So in theory the Optima should be improved models - there was 140 and 80 the latter had less power.

UHF Magazine covered the Optima 140 - and this magazine has always been big on Sugden and YBA - UHF magazine was and is one of the only review outfits that gave out very negative reviews of products (Paradigm and B&W and Arcam still don't send them reviews!!). They are based in Canada and only put out 3-4 issues a year. They measure gear and have a crosstalk section where 3-5 reviewers will opine about the product under test.

I regret selling the A48B. For $350 Canadian - that was a steal.

Here is the Sugden Optima 140 Sugden Optima

bhazen, IRG, bluenosens and 1 other person like this.
  14. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Sugden a fairly well known brand here in the UK, but still niche compared to the big brands.

The A21 is an all-time classic. It has had some fabulous reviews in the UK. The lack of a remote control put most consumers off.

bluenosens likes this.
  15. shug4476

Also from memory the A21 never did reach 25W - it maxed out at 19W. Not one for large rooms/insensitive speakers. Also had poor load tolerance.

16. bluenosens

bluenosens Forum Resident

UHF magazine reviewed their class A at different times and always gave them good reviews. They even used their top pre-amp in their ref setup years ago.

shug4476 likes this.
  17. shug4476

The other thing I've always found handy about Sugdens is the manufacturer will deal with you directly for repairs, and they don't charge a King's ransom either - good prices for servicing.

18. Rattlin' Bones

Thanks. Now making me consider the Optima 80 very seriously. It's only $360 shipped. Comparing now to a Schiit Vidar+Saga, which would be around $960 shipped. Do I want to spend extra $600 for new unit with warranty, or take risk with used Optima unit that may sound great, or could have issues in 3 months such that I end up spending as much as I would have going with much higher ended unit like Croft Phono Integrated. Maybe a new thread :)

19. GoldprintAudio

The A21SE retails for $3250. (in the US)

20. GoldprintAudio

And the standard A21 retails for $2400.

21. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

thank you. Significant differences between the two? Might add it to the list for whenever I go shopping.

The AV50 looks awesome too. Probably well outside of what I should spend. I could see this being an end game kinda amp though.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  22. GoldprintAudio

Really....both are quite good. 21SE adds a bit of power a little more traditional style class a sound.

IRG likes this.
  23. Rattlin' Bones

What the heck $360 shipped. I bought it. Maybe I'll start collecting niche British hi-fi as a hobby.

It should be here later this week.

Thanks, everybody, especially Richard!

IRG likes this.
  24. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Sugden’s are lovely old amps, well known over here in the hi-fi community of old, so hopefully you’ve got a bargain. As others have said, the original A21 is considered a classic.

25. Jens

Jens Forum Resident

Proud owner of Sugden A21. It is 2 years old signature range. I think it is now 23watt class a. I have had Gryphon, Pass, densen, Perreaux an many other high powered and much costlier. But this Sugden is amazing and I have No problem with only 23 watt. They were All Nice amps, but Pass and sugden for long time listening

Kemosabi1 and GoldprintAudio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.