Suggestions for gritty NYC in the 70s movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Edgard Varese, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Warksman

Warksman Forum Resident

I watched Smithereens today. Had never seen it before. Aw, i actually really liked the character Wren, played by Susan Berman. Yeah she has her flaws but very likeable at heart really.

64FALCON likes this.
  2. Another unconventional recommendation—the partially animated, partially live action Ralph Bakshi flick Heavy Traffic.

3. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

SUSAN BERMAN from "Smithereens" was later murdered in 2000 via gunshot by dirtbag Robert Durst.

barryalan likes this.
  4. chumlie1

chumlie1 Forum Resident

Suicide Kings.

formu_la likes this.
  5. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

1973's Live and Let Die was heavily influenced by blaxploitation films, and part of it's set in a suitably-gritty-for-this-thread Harlem.

6. Warksman

Warksman Forum Resident

I think that was a different Susan Berman.

Susan Berman - Wikipedia

64FALCON likes this.
  7. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I reckon you're right, Warksman. I've seen SMITHEREENS and yet I didn't catch it not being the same 'Susan Berman'.

Warksman likes this.
  8. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Filmed in Salem and Depoe Bay, Oregon.

9. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Member

HA! :uhhuh:

10. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Member

The Every '70s Movie Blogspot does not take its title lightly. The author Peter Hanson defines pith with depth * (he's written books on the subject) and seemingly holds a specially reserved admiration for films capturing NYC grit during the period in question (and the bizarrely obscure jewel). The very occasional reader comment can sometimes rival the review for caliber of pith. Awkwardly arranged .. alphabetized .. almost un-navigatable. It just doesn't matter.

Careful
    - this site is a time sink as only someone who spent a week sick in bed - in a rented Paris apt. while on vacation no less - reading hundreds, if not close to a thousand of these snappy reviews on an iPad, can attest. I could. not. stop. :help: And enjoyed every minute. :nyah:
    You have been warned.

Seriously, I hope you find them as enjoyable as I have.

* sample a mini- (yet comprehensive) review .. 7Ups, French Conn., Taking [..] 123, or any other above. He wants to know if you can cite one he hasn't listed. Regrettably, many seem to no longer be available (some lost forever, some blocked legally, etc.).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  11. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Although I consider it (at best) a very mediocre film Dressed to Kill definitely captures that vibe. In particular, the scene where our "hero" is chased into the subway is pretty similar in tone to Death Wish or The Warriors, and does a pretty marvelous job of capturing the steaming cesspool New York City was in the 1970's and early 80's. For my money, there's no better example of the place as character than the NYC of that period.

BrentB and Spokeless like this.
  12. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

I never experienced it myself but the Seven Ups typifies that grim, depressing grey 70s New York of the imagination for me.

BrentB, 64FALCON and Bluesman Mark like this.
  13. Danswift

Danswift Forum Resident

64FALCON and Bluesman Mark like this.
  14. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Member

or Serpico - a definitive review.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  15. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Excellent site, been reading it for years

Spokeless likes this.
  16. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

The Godfather, Serpico & Godfather II, were the 1st three films I saw Pacino in, & in that order, as released. That's an incredible trio of great roles & great films.

Spokeless likes this.
  17. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

The January 1980 movie release WINDOWS has various interesting shots of NYC in 1979. Plus, it has Elizabeth Ashley going hilariously off the rails at the end. And a frozen puddy tat, too.

18. Graham

Graham Senior Member

More so if you throw in The Panic In Needle Park beforehand, Scarecrow within, and Dog Day Afternoon immediately after.

19. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Shame it’s not particularly good though. It certainly looks great. Gordon Willis’s only directorial credit.

64FALCON likes this.
  20. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

@Graham: I noted you're in London, UK.

WINDOWS was never released on VHS here in the U.S. so many moons ago -- before "Windows" was issued on disc here -- I bought a UK Warner Home Video PAL-format tape of it. → The BBFC was not impressed with 3 minutes and 35 seconds of the movie because they demanded it be trimmed out. I believe most of the /cuts/ were to the scene near the beginning where the goofy cab driver 'Obecne' pulls the knife on Talia Shire and makes her breathe heavily and talk in to the cassette recorder so Elizabeth Ashley can get her rocks off later. Such an absurd movie! :D

Graham likes this.
  21. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I imported the US Kino blu-ray a couple of years ago so I could see the film. It was a one-time watch for me so I sold it on eBay.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    64FALCON likes this.
  22. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Member

He’s up there with PKael (sp?), Ebert, Siskel, etc. in my book. So enjoyable.:edthumbs:

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  23. Warksman

Warksman Forum Resident

Watched Taxi Driver again today. First time again in many years . Jodie Foster is really great in the scene in the cafe with De Niro. Her true talent at that young age is clear to see.

24. Spokeless

Spokeless Roaming Member

I had not realized his density of output at that time. Truly impressive.

As a less tasty experience, I saw him once on stage/NYC - and his performance was, umm, appalling. Not sure .. medicated? .. tired? .. bad mood? He whisked away afterwards (when many actors prefer to linger, sign autographs and chit-chat with fans/attendees) before anyone may have gotten close. Of course, everyone is allowed a bad night now and again, I suppose. But we should have gotten a refund for that stinker.

It was Salome .. and my wife nailed it in the cab back* :

“Pacino was doing Mel Brooks .. doing King Herod.”
    [Pacino, lazily, almost slurring]: “.. saaa - luuuh - MAAAY .. “

That *%#& grating sound will never leave my poor head.

And yes, a spindly brunette vixen (Marisa Tomei for us, IIRC) gives a bare nip/breast flash as your climax .. but don’t blink or sit in the cheap seats, AMHIK. On recall, not a particularly erotic memory.

Virtually all the other performances we saw were sterling.

* I just have to brag - we were probably heading back to the Beacon Hotel, across from Fairway Market, on the Upper West Side. We had two amazing trips to NYC :love:packed with theatre visits, during some salad days in the mid/late 2000s. What a lovely hotel that was and presumably still is.

25. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I can't add much to the thread, however I wanna say that I absolutely loved The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3. My late mom repeatedly told me I should check it out and when we finally watched it together, it was a great movie night. Such a stylish, slick, gritty film!

Oh, also Across 110th Street. Awesome film.

BrentB, Spokeless, RoyalScam and 5 others like this.