Suggestions For Jazz Please! (Hard Bop Vinyl)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tAC0, Sep 4, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tAC0

tAC0 ...for the record, I’m a vinylist Thread Starter

I’m quite new on this forum and this is my thread starting debut.

I’m also kind of new in the beautiful world of jazz. This seems the right place to expand my horizon a bit... Nothing more personal than taste, so here are a few examples what I like and listen to frequently (I prefer vinyl):

Donald Byrd ‘Royal Flush’

Miles Davis ‘Kind Of Blue’

Cannonball Adderly ‘Somethin’ Else’

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers ‘At The Jazz Corner Of The World vol 1&2’
    (I’m lucky to own both the original RVG pressings. Note: it’s not the ‘Meet Me At...’-version).

I like Gregory Porter and Trijntje Oosterhuis when I feel like vocal jazz...

When it comes to jazz fusion I like some Ponty, Stanley Clarke and some of Allan Holdsworth work.

What I DON’T like is when it’s getting too... how do you say it in good English... paranoid, freaky, unrythmic. I sometimes listen to some of Coltrane’s work, but some of it is too ‘freaky/difficult’ for these untrained ears.

Can someone give me some titles (available on vinyl) for ‘easy to listen to’ hard bop? To narrow it down a bit let us not get into the fusion part and vocal jazz, shall we? I’m mainly searching for records like the four titles I mentioned in the beginning. I’ve heard some other Miles stuff (Bitches Brew, Sketches...), but it’s not my cup of tea. Too experimental for me maybe?

If you have info about a specific pressing then please add that as well.

Love to get some nice suggestions...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Dan Steele and ohnothimagen like this.
  2. tAC0

Anyone?

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Anything by Horace Silver would be a start. Sonny Rollins also.

4. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

You can't go wrong with the original Dave Brubeck Quartet Columbia albums. I prefer mono, but that's a personal preference. Red, Hot Cool, Time Out, Time Further Out, Newport, any of the Jazz Impressions Of albums. It's all essential listening in my opinion. Look for the six eye pressings on some, if you can get them. Still cheap in the overall sceme of things.

McLover, Bobby Buckshot and tAC0 like this.
  5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Art Blakey is consistently amazing. Most of the Prestige/Riverside titles would probably fit your needs. They sound great, are easily found online at decent prices and are a great place to start investigating hard/post bop. After that lies the whole BN catalogue. If you can grab a copy of the All Music Guide to Jazz (any edition really) it can seriously help you map out your listening experience. Pick a few favorite albums and focus in on the band members. For me that was key to discovering some great albums when I turned on to Jazz a few decades back.

6. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

as your first five likes feature trumpet then i think you'd be on safe ground with any of Freddie Hubbard's Blue Note albums.
    the Blakey live set features Lee Morgan on trumpet... he has an enormous Blue Note catalogue both as leader and sideman.
    the saxophonist on the same date is Hank Mobley who was also prolific for the label. start with Soul Station.
    i found it useful when getting into jazz to check the personnel on the stuff you really like and look for other albums with the same players.

7. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

my advice too.

blutiga, eflatminor and tAC0 like this.
  8. tAC0

Great advice! And thanks for the suggestions...
    now I know how to start my search to build a collection of the jazz that I like :righton:

9. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

Get this book:
    Hard Bop: Jazz and Black Music 1955-1965
    by David H. Rosenthal

This is a great read, very informative and well written.

Then, consult the long list in the back of recommended hard bop albums. It is an excellent list that I've used over the years to add to my collection.

On_the_dunes, Bobby Buckshot and tAC0 like this.
  10. Alan Beasley

Alan Beasley Forum Resident

Horace Silver ‘Song For My Father’
    John Coltrane ‘Blue Train’

These got me hooked 30 years ago.
    The Coltrane is not difficult, it’s one of the most beautiful recordings I have heard. I just got the Music Matters release yesterday and it sounds fantastic. Dexter Gordon ‘Go’ is another one to check out.

Bobby Buckshot, patrickd and tAC0 like this.
  11. patrickd

patrickd Forum Resident

While I hear you saying you find some Coltrane too freaky for your ears, let me encourage you to give Giant Steps a serious listen - some of it is very beautiful and lyrical. Fine if you don’t like it but I suspect some of it will appeal. I find it an album that worked its way into my head and heart to the point that I sort of sing along with it.

12. tAC0

Sounds like a good read! I’ll check it out... thanks

13. tAC0

There’s quite some consensus about what I should listen... or read... I find those suggestions (e.g. Horace Silver, Coltrane) really helpful!

14. Sydster

Sydster Forum Resident

Try Hank Mobley’s ‘Soul Station’ or Dexter Gordon’s ‘Go’. Both hard bop classics and nothing off-kilter that will jolt any listener.
    Shameless self promo—tons of mini reviews of jazz LPs on my Instagram feed @jazzandcoffee ...perhaps you’ll something there that strikes a chord.

15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Some more recs not yet mentioned:

Donald Byrd's Fuego
    Joe Henderson Mode For Joe (or any of his Blue Notes)
    Kenny Dorham Una Mas
    Benny Golson Gone With Golson
    Tina Brooks Back to the Tracks (or any of his from Blue Note)

For fusion, try some of Herbie's releases like Thrust or Headhunters etc., Bob James' Heads, or Weather Report's stuff like Tale Spinnin'

Edit to add: Go for some Hank Mobley Blue Notes from the 60s as well. Very soulful, same with Lee Morgan. I also think you'll really like some Benny Golson. Blue Note never signed him so he's somewhat neglected outside of jazz circles but his albums are typically awesome.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Dan Steele, tAC0 and Alan Beasley like this.
  16. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

I'd think Song For My Father would be a good one for the OP.

17. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

There are several Andrew Hill titles. Point of Departure is the one that everyone talks about but it's hardly the only one. I'd recommend Smokestack, Black Fire, Passing Ships and Judgment.

As a related aside, I find the user reviews at Amazon, along with their star system, helpful for trying to find appropriate titles by a given artist.

I'll have more to contribute to this thread later but I have to get to work right now.

tAC0 likes this.
  18. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

How are all those new jazz vinyl records I see, with the hype sticker saying something like "Limited Edition on audiophile grade 180g vinyl"
    or something like that. "Audiophile grade 180g vinyl" sounds not very trustworthy to me. Also, I've seen some of those with different
    covers, like a "Kind of Blue" with Miles sitting on a chair smiling. Are those greymarket releases like those "20 Mingus albums on 4 CDs"-releases?

19. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Yep, gray market. I wouldn't buy any of those on LP unless they were like a buck and I wanted the vinyl for some reason. Same for the CDs, better be a super bargain or I'm not touching it.

tAC0 likes this.
  20. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

A small list of hard bop albums that I think you may like :

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet ‎– In San Francisco

Nat Adderley ‎– Work Song

Clifford Brown ‎– Memorial Album

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris

Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

Thelonious Monk ‎– Brilliant Corners

Bud Powell ‎– Blue Note Cafe Paris, 1961

The Wes Montgomery Trio - A Dynamic New Sound: Guitar/Organ/Drums

21. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Yes, or otherwise unavailable and not on Spotify either. Then I would make an exception.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  22. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Silver is one of the most important musicians of the style. Other two great hard bop albums are 6 Pieces Of Silver (1956) and Serenade To A Soul Sister (1968).

blutiga and tAC0 like this.
  23. tAC0

please do ...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  24. tAC0

I have some from Monk as well, forgot to mention him in my original post... Pure Monk (solo) and with a quartet (forgot the title).

Plenty of helpful info around here, highly appreciated.

I’m going to make a list of all your suggestions and listen a few of them each time I visit my local recordshop (see what they have first and ofcourse there’s something called ‘budget’)

I love vinyl, so I’m not narrowing down by listening to digital snippets or youtube or anything...

These things are worth my time.

25. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

You need this record!

[​IMG]

McLover, frightwigwam and tAC0 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.