Suggestions for the Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RK2249, Oct 15, 2017.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'd really like someone to put out a good looking edition of "Female Perversions" (1996). No blu-ray release in any region that I know of, and the digital versions on Vudu, iTunes, etc are standard definition cropped to 4:3. Maybe P&S? The movie deserves better. I remember it as the first time I saw Tilda Swinton. Also really like Frances Fisher and Laila Robbins in this.

Catchy box art, which is what caused me to grab the VHS off the shelf at Blockbuster back in the old days.
    [​IMG]

will_b_free likes this.
  2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I forgot that I posted this request back in 2017. I was so happy when they announced it & I preordered it. Thank you Criterion!!!

Pinknik likes this.
  3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"Gigot" (Jackie Gleason)
    "At Play In The Fields Of The Lord" (Tom Beringer/John Lithgow/Daryl Hannah/Aidan Quinn/Kathy Bates/Tom Waits)
    "Inherit The Wind" (Spender Tracy/Frederic March/Gene Kelly/Dick York/Norman Fell)
    "Birth Of A Nation" (Lillian Gish/Donald Crisp)
    "Your Cheatin' Heart" (George Hamilton/Red Buttons)
    "The Alamo" (John Wayne) (With the missing 30 minutes restored back into the film)
    "The Amazing Colossal Man" (Glenn Langan/Cathy Downs) (Should include "War Of The Colossal Beast" as a bonus)
    "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" (Phoebe Cates/Judge Reinhold)
    "The Abyss" (Ed Harris/Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) (This one needs to be restored right & released!)
    "A Star Is Born" (Judy Garland/James Mason)

4. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Impossible in the current cancel-culture landscape. Unfortunately, Amazon has chosen to remove the film from sale on its websites, although it is still available through other outlets.

This film was previously with Twilight Time in the United States, and is now with Kino Lorber. In the U.K., it has been issued by both Eureka and the BFI. It is available in several perfectly fine BD editions, so there’s really no need for a Criterion edition anyway. I’m sure they wouldn’t want the negative publicity, or to have their product effectively censored from public sale by the world’s most popular online retailer.

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Good enough indeed! They had the same issue with trying to release better quality music on new formats but the cd was good enough for most. I have been replacing my pretty substantial movie collection starting back to laserdisc and ced (boy, wasn’t that a fun format)! Blu-ray is the last stop for me. It looks great on my 150” projection system. I’m thrilled to be able to say “it’s good enough” after spending my 30’s to 50’s chasing better formats. I’m sure 4K looks spectacular, but they are never going to release near the number of films on that format that are on blu-ray. In fact, it seems like since the pandemic, they are actually stepping up blu ray production and finally releasing some sorely missed titles. Paramount has stepped it up with their deluxe packaging of iconic films as of late.

If they stopped releasing physical product today, I would be fine except for missing out on what is for me the rare new film I would want.

polchik and audiomixer like this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Fast Times would be fun, though the last release did have a great commentary with the producer.

7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Nicholas Roeg's "Eureka", which I think is his best film, and the most successful of his non-linear approach to plot.

Plan9 likes this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There's a Blu-Ray that looks pretty good (but it's not Criterion) : Eureka Blu-ray - Gene Hackman

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  9. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Raising Arizona
    Paterson

The Hud likes this.
  10. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

yeah, but I think its deserving a Criteron depth and analysis. Surprised Critereon hasn't gone for this yet. Most of Roeg's films demand at least a 2nd view, if not 3 or... to fully absorb and comprehend.

11. stepeanut

I am about as big a Nicolas Roeg fan as exists, and I’m perfectly happy with the Eureka Masters of Cinema BD of Eureka. The extras are great. Not sure what additional value a Criterion edition would bring.

Plan9 and TwentySmallCigars like this.
  12. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Ironweed

13. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

They did a nice job on Pepe Le Moko; I just wish they'd do the same for the US remake "Algiers". It was Hedy Lamarr's first US film plus it had a stellar cast. It cries for restoration.

14. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Two films that I suspect Criterion has the rights to but haven't released yet are "West Side Story" and "The Defiant Ones"

15. Andrew Furlong

Andrew Furlong Well-Known Member

The Fog Of War

16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Thanks for that insight. And since he's passed on, probably no more insights from Roeg either.

Probably shouldn't wait any longer as the Blu Ray might be as good as it'll be.

Plan9 and stepeanut like this.
  17. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Criterion's nice job on PEPE LE MOKO was on DVD twenty years ago.
    Now I want them to do a nice job on the film for blu-ray.

18. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Roman Polanksi's PIRATES and Roman Polanski's AN OFFICER AND A SPY.

Most importantly:

All three versions of Peckinpah's PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID
    complete with editor Seydor's final revisions and adjustments which WB
    wouldn't give him time to finish back in '05 when they did the DVD. New
    2K transfers, of course.

19. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

year of the horse
    catch 22
    burn!
    the naked spur
    the trial
    marat sade
    the last emperor (2.35:1 w original color timing)
    amadeus (theatrical cut)
    the tenant

20. stepeanut

The Tenant was released on BD in the United States less than six months ago, via Shout Factory, so I very much doubt there will be a Criterion edition anytime soon.

Catch-22 is a Paramount Pictures property. I can’t see them licensing this title to Criterion, but you never know. Paramount are just really, really slow at getting their product out there on home video. Look how long it took them to release Roman Holiday, one of the jewels in their library.

The European StudioCanal BD editions of The Trial have been OOP for a while now. I have a feeling something is in the works for this title, whether it’s a StudioCanal SE, or a reissue from a different label. It is too important a film to let fall into obscurity. Of the titles you’ve mentioned, this is the most likely to receive a Criterion release, IMO. The film has always languished in public domain hell in the United States, but Criterion loves Welles, and they may see it as a passion project to restore this one, as they did with Mr. Arkadin, Othello, etc.

21. Beatles_Apple

Beatles_Apple Forum Resident

Phantom Tollbooth
    9/11 naudet brothers documentary

22. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

lol i have that SC blu of the trial .... as well after i posted i thought oh wait a min i think the tenant WAS released lol
    my wishlist was mainly based on that ... wishes, and a hazy memory lol

out of all those films the ones i would really like to have on HD are marat sade & the naked spur

but thanks for details .... i used to send email suggestions to mulvaney @ criterion all the time ...... one of which was “if ....” a paramount property! so i have a bit of hope for catch 22

stepeanut likes this.
  23. stepeanut

It is one I’d like to see receive an HD upgrade, whatever the label. I have the old Paramount DVD, which is something, I suppose.

24. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I just finished watching Mixed Nuts with Steve Martin and Madeline Khan on the not so stellar DVD. It could use a release to BD. It looks like it was shot very well. It could shine on a better format.

Pinknik likes this.
  25. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

yup same here! good ole 480p lol

stepeanut likes this.