Sundays With Alec Baldwin- new ABC talk show premiering on ABC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bartels76, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Anyone catch this after the Oscars? They showed the pilot with Jerry Seinfeld and Kate McKinnon. It is now available On Demand or on ABC.com.

It's a "Dick Cavett style" talk show modeled from the 60's and 70's. Alec devotes about 30 min each to each guest. A nice breath of fresh air from the 5 minute interviews that we usually see on Late Night now.

Very similar to David Letterman's show and it seems like they filmed them both at the same time.

Looks like it's getting mixed reviews but I am enjoying it. Not sure when the next episode is airing.

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I stumbled upon it by accident Sunday night and loved it.

3. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I enjoyed it also.
    He's a good interviewer, as long as he knows his subject.

jerol

4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

He should interview Trump. Seriously, I think the Pres would go for it.

5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Should Alec do it as Alec or Trump?

Ethan B likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Interesting - didn't he have an oh-so-short-lived slot on MSNBC a couple of years back? If he couldn't score with that audience, what makes ABC think he wouldn't be a polarizing figure to a general audience, even within his subject of expertise?

7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Up to him. But if Alec acts like Don, then maybe Don could impersonate Alec. I mean, we're sort of just about at that point now anyways...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

That would be the most insane Presidential interview of our time. Than again, an insane and surreal interview sums up this era pretty well.

Mark E. Moon. and 905 like this.
  9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Alec could interview DT as Burt Lancaster. he does a dead-on, toothy smile and all.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Great show, thanks for the heads up!

11. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

His "Here's The Thing" podcasts from WNYC are actually really good, he does a lot of musicians.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I enjoyed it. Not sure if he will only have entertainers as guests.

Don't know if anyone read Alec Baldwin's autobiography, but at the end of the book, he had a list of actors who he enjoys watching. Some of them would make interesting guests....Sean Connery, Chow Yun-fat, etc.

13. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Love Baldwin. Funny as hell and if you can judge a person by the people that hate them, then Baldwin is doing pretty good imo.

14. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i hear ya. i really liked his performance in Hunt for Red October though.

Zep Fan likes this.
  15. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Will an actual episode ever air? All we've gotten so far has been the Jerry & Kate preview.

MikaelaArsenault and George P like this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

When it does, let's start a new thread, one for people who actually like him.

17. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Well if the ratings stink then this could be the excuse they need to get rid of him - with a payoff of course. Wonder if he will get $60 mil plus?

18. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

If the ratings aren't there, they'll pull it anyway. ABC is notorious for wanting instant results and will cancel a show before giving it a chance to find an audience.

19. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Saw him interview Jeff Bridges last week. Very enjoyable show.

somnar, chacha and George P like this.
  20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I realize it takes a certain coat of armor to be a person living and thriving in the world's biggest city and home to so much self-importance. But as a spider once told me, with great power comes great responsibility - then he bit me.

How is it people who know they got to the top by being likeable (ahem - movie stars...), don't keep their overrated senses of self locked up inside themselves, rather than having to work that much harder to reclaim any notariety they may have lost acting like a tool. We're talking about a head of steam built up over the right to park in a city most people not named Baldwin, aren't allowed that sort of perspective.

I can't judge Baldwin's worthiness to carry a show based on this public performance, Wasn't there. But, the fact that he exists and is well-known, isn't a standard I judge my show hosts on, either. But, if he makes a reputation for compelling conversation that's rewarding to watch, that's the only criteria I'd need to consider giving him a chance. IF I were interested in that sort of thing, and I don't know how high on my list involves my host needing to show the world how mighty he is when he needs a place to leave his Beemer.

21. rockclassics

22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I see present and future health problems

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Ive really enjoyed the show so far. Feels very unlike a network success ( which is a good thing). Hope it sticks around. If not , would love to see Alec back on TCM. He’s wonderful there.

somnar and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

rockclassics likes this.
  25. rockclassics

Yep this just gave them the excuse to ditch it.

Wonder how much his contract payoff will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.