Super-duper supergroups, which one was the most «super»?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TinMachine, Feb 13, 2022.

1. hangwire13

hangwire13 Forum Resident

Pigface

Billchi_11 likes this.
  2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Not unless they changed the band's name. They were the Stones before the lineup changes, and they were the Stones after the lineup changes, so no.

If they kept the 'Small Faces' name, then no - but since they changes the name to 'Faces' then yes, as the Faces are 3/4 of the Small Faces combined with 2/4 (or was it 2/5 - did they have a permanent keyboard player at any point?) of the Jeff Beck Group to form the "supergroup" Faces. If they had kept the 'Small Faces' name, then it would have just been Steve Marriott being replaced by Wood on guitar and Stewart on vocals.

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  3. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

So if YOU personally haven't heard of someone, then that means they aren't/weren't famous?! :crazy:

Bruce and Baker were quite well known in the UK prior to Cream as both were members together of two fairly successful and highly influential at the time bands, and Rick Grech was a bandmember on the first two 'Family' albums until he was poached by Blind Faith (which he may have regretted since Family continued for several more years without him - while Blind Faith OTOH...). Sure he was the least known member of Blind Faith, but he was hardly unknown.

BTW reportedly The Beatles dropped their original intended title for the White Album after Family released their debut album which had a similar title to they one they were intending to use.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

~Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
    ~Traveling Wilburys
    - Blind Faith
    - The Rides

jmc9091 likes this.
  5. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

If Cream is a super group, then wouldn’t the Band of Gypsys be a one too???

6. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Depends - what was Billy Cox's musical claim to fame prior to Band Of Gypsys?

7. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Woodstock; Gypsys Suns and Rainbows.

8. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

Anyone say Beck, Bogart and Appice yet?

9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I was gonna post Bad English

JohnJ likes this.
  10. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

How was that a "claim to fame"? Neither the movie, nor the soundtrack album were released prior to the Band Of Gypsys new years eve concerts, let alone the release of the resulting BOG live album. A dwindling crowd of only a few hundred saw them at Woodstock as they were way behind schedule, appearing the morning after the concert was due to end, so most of the crowd had already gone home.

So any guy who plays a concert to a few hundred people one time is "supergroup material"? Seriously?

pexie likes this.
  11. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Given the impact, yes. Super group it is! Let’s see, who has heard of the GBO? Now, who has heard of Woodstock. Thanks for making my point.

12. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

Well, if George had produced it it would have probably sounded like Gone Troppo '88.

phillyal1 and DTK like this.
  13. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Your point being what exactly - that you don't understand what a supergroup even is?

Uuan and Dudley Morris like this.
  14. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Just trying to play the game, beacuse it sounds like fun to me (yes, I get the question was rhetorical). So, it is late 80s. What would be a more big superstar household band going across different age groups? How about Miles Davis, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Joe Strummer, Johnny Cash? Or Bono, Herbie Hancock, Jean Michel Jarre, Paul McCartney, Dave Gilmour? Fredie Mercury, Giorgio Moroder, Michael Jackson, Mick Jagger, Barry Gibb? Or Barbra Streissand, Joan Jett, Agnetha Faltskog, Patti Smith, Dolly Parton? Or Paul Simon, Bruce Springsteen, Leonard Cohen, Serge Gainsbourg, Frank Sinatra?Or Jimmy Page, Tommy Iommi, Ian Gillan, Lars Ulrich, Lemmy , Little Richard (ok I am just going silly.)

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  15. downer

downer Senior Member

If you can have 'super-duper' bands, then by default you must have just regular 'duper' bands - why don't we ever talk about them...?

Ian S likes this.
  16. Jx84

Jx84 Well-Known Member

They're not the superest, and not really a group per se, but recognition must go to Al Kooper, Mike Bloomfield, and Stephen Stills. They arguably paved the way for CSY, and the title of their album, Super Session, just may have inspired the term “supergroup”.

17. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Monsters of Folk

ARK, Billchi_11 and MrCJF like this.
  18. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Humble Pie

R. Cat Conrad, Uuan and Rocketdog like this.
  19. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Here’s some I haven’t seen listed yet (I think)…

Derek & The Dominoes
    H.S.A.S.
    Mr. Big
    Blue Murder
    Badlands
    Alias
    Contraband
    Arc Angels
    Neurotic Outsiders
    Audioslave
    Living Loud
    Army Of Anyone
    Chickenfoot
    Tinted Windows
    The Dead Daises
    KXM
    The Hollywood Vampires

20. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

Electronic - Bernard Sumner, Neil Tennant and Johnny Marr

paperhat, Bulsara and ARK like this.
  21. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

The Baseball Project
    Filthy Friends
    The Parting Gifts

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The response was really underwhelming after the initial hype died down.

Uuan likes this.
  23. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

In my “world” at the time, Fugazi was a super group of sorts with ex members of Minor Threat and the Rites of Spring

ndoheny likes this.
  24. The Loner

The Loner Well-Known Member

25. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

That was one single with Tennant, the real supergroup line up (for one full album) was

Bernard Sumner (Joy Division and New Order)
    Johnny Marr (The Smiths)
    Karl Bartos (Kraftwerk)

Fruff76 likes this.