Super Furry Animals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Dec 24, 2011.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Haven't heard 'peep' from the internets about them in a while. While I know Gruff has been doing a lot of solo stuff for the past year or so, does anyone here know the 'status' of the band??

Inquiring minds wanna know!

2. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

They're not officially broken up, but they have no plans to do anything as a band at the moment.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Is this still the case ?

4. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Yes. Gruff is finishing up a U.S. tour, Cian just released a solo album (with another to follow in a few months), Guto has a new band called Gulp (who just released a single), Daf is working on a couple of projects and Bunf is reportedly nearly done with his first solo album.

5. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun

thanks for the news ralphie, at least we can still have hope they get together to record

6. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I wish they would have had some success here in the States. Fantastic group.

I think they have the same problem acts like Ween and NRBQ have - TOO eclectic! :cool:

7. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

No idea, but want to put in a word for Gruff's Hotel Shampoo. Fantastic album!

8. chodad

chodad Hodad

their debut is a gem

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I just threw on the DVD of "Rings Around The World" for the first time in ages. I listened to this album non-stop when it first came out. Was lucky enough to catch their Baltimore show on this tour. It was at a tiny club (Otto Bar) and they had the 5.1 system with them. It was unbearably;e loud but an excellent show.

This band does not get enough due.

Plinko, Greg(ory) and fallbreaks like this.
  10. I'll second the 5.1 Rings. I saw them three times in San Francisco plus a two man acoustic set at Amoeba Records on Haight Street. A great innovative bad, And Hotel Shampoo IS a wonderful solo album.

Greg(ory) likes this.
  11. enocaster

enocaster Well-Known Member

Funny, I was just listening to their best-of today. What albums should I start with?

12. TomNYC

TomNYC Forum Resident

For me, Radiator is still tops.

Alexlotl and Greg(ory) like this.
  13. Rings Around the World and Phantom Force. the song Piccolo Snare in perfect play it LOUD

14. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

If they don't come back, that album by Cian Ciaran is a fitting sendoff. Gorgeous.

Greg(ory) likes this.
  15. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

mwng is my favorite by them, and one of my favorite albums of the past 20 years or so. All lyrics are in Welch and I can't understand a word, but so what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mwng

Rekkerds and sparkmeister like this.
  16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

Nice to see fellow SFA lovers in the house . Just received an e-mail that there will be a new NEON-NEON album out in April, so, there's that.
    The wife and I were lucky enough to catch their LA show for the"LoveKraft" album.
    I'm one of the 'crazies' who bought "Rings.." BLIND solely for the fact that McCartney plays vegetables on the album. Then, I bought everything they made.... I love it all!
    On a personal note, my wife, who was a 'no-more-new-music/it-all-sucks' kind of girl, was thumbing through my iTunes collection, when she saw all my SFA. She played "Northern Lights", and she was hooked! I remember her big smile when she came to me and said, "Jeez, these guys are good! And, you know I hate saying anything new is good!"
    It was a great day!

Rekkerds likes this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't believe the super furry animals have called it quits. They're still at it. To wit:

I just saw a raccoon going through my trash can.

I guess it depends if you consider a raccoon super furry.

18. Saw them three times and the first club show when Rings came out had a surround sound set up. Really loud and beautiful.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

She'd fit right in around here! :laugh:

It does rather appear as if the good ship SFA has run out of steam of late. Ah well, they had a solid run--I particularly view the Rings-Mwgn-Phantom phase as their peak--but some of the later albums like Love Kraft felt a little less fresh to me.

20. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I maintain 'Love Kraft' is their best album.

If I was them I'd continue to lie low, it will end up being at least 5 years between albums if they do return next year... The critics and public may have taken them for granted a tad, their prolonged absence could make their eventual 'comeback' more noteworthy...

21. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

22. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Gruff's Hotel Shampoo was pretty close to what I would imagine a great Super Furry Animals would sound like. I never had a good sense of how that band operated. I always assumed Gruff was basically the main guy and that he wrote the best songs. I still think that.

23. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

I'll be sad if they have indeed called it quits. They were my favorite band of the late 90s and through the 00s, but their catalog is nearly faultless and will stand the test of time, I think

Greg(ory) likes this.
  24. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

Interesting that this came up, just yesterday I received my order for Love Kraft. I bought it used for about 4 bucks because I read that it's an unmarked SACD. And it is. 5.1 + 2.0 Stereo hybrid disk. I never listened to them before but they sound really good. Does anybody know if any of their other CD's are also SACD's?

25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

That's interesting. My copy is not SACD. They did surround DVD's for Rings and Phantom Power, but I'm not aware of any SACD's from them.