Super Furry Animals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Dec 24, 2011.

1. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Broke down and got mine from Amazon. I've put a moratorium on buying from Amazon. No one else has it in Toronto and was getting twitchy. Not sure the record sounds great, sure this has more to do with the recording, than the mastering or medium. I've really liked the XTC records by the same mastering house. Mine has no defects on a cursory listen. Feels surreal to have this on vinyl after all these years.

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This is about "Rings"? Played it again yesterday and thought it sounded very good. Even though I'd like to hear an original as well. Maybe prices are coming down a bit. Even though they probably won't in the current climate... :unhunh:

Preston likes this.
  3. Walter9000

Walter9000 Active Member

He’s working on Das Koolies stuff with Daf, Cian & Guto but not sure about anything solo.

joey essex likes this.
  4. joey essex

joey essex Forum Resident

OH, that's great. I was starting to worry they'd called off the Das Koolies project after the silence; Cian seems pretty active politically lately, so I'd assumed he'd taken up his time with that.

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

There is also Mr. Right and Wheels.

6. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Mr. Right was a radio session and Wheels was recorded years later for a comp.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  7. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

joey essex likes this.
  8. joey essex

9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Wondering if I should grab this. I have the original 12" but it was somewhat mangled in shipping.

10. SUPER_MARIO

SUPER_MARIO Well-Known Member

I wonder when will hear more from Das Koolies. It's been almost 2 years since the single was released and since then the a-side has vanished from all digital platforms. Obviously the pandemic has disrupted things but we must be hearing more at some point this year? More Gruff is always welcome but Das Koolies are still an unknown quantity and that's way more exciting to me.

11. joey essex

I'm excited for Das Koolies, but it almost seems like the band's peacefully retired at this point. Ciaan has been posting some wave form screenshots on his Twitter the last few days...

He always promotes the new stuff rather cryptically/terribly, so I think this may suggest a release.

https://twitter.com/cianciaran/status/1478260471253901313

SUPER_MARIO likes this.
  12. joey essex

Allchurch likes this.
  13. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

If memory serves, Rings may be one of their albums that used the CD master for the original vinyl. I don't have an original either (those prices were always too much for me), but the reissue sounds much better than my CD (IMHO).

14. joey essex

Pale Blue Dots imminent. I noticed copies for sale on Norman Records. Dunno if their shipping's any better:

The Pale Blue Dots. Vinyl, CD and tapes by The Pale Blue Dots at Norman Records UK.

New single ft. Gruff. I wonder if I should read into these collars he's doing with African musicians. I remember hearing he wanted to do another multimedia project in Africa a long, long time ago, after his first two projects.

And Cian continues to post wave forms:

[​IMG]

Groovy likes this.
  15. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I ordered the PBD LP. Wound up costing a fortune with shipping to the US, but I'm happy to support the endeavor.

16. joey essex

Good. I really want another Bunf LP. He rules. Tho I suppose Das Koolies will be his next thing.

17. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Just listened to 'Thermos' and liked it more than some of the other previously available songs.

It was debuted here, Purple Radio , on The MJ Price Moment, around 48 minutes into the show.

There's a suggestion that you can listen back to previous programming but I'll be damned if I can work out how to do that.

18. joey essex

Here it is
    Mixcloud

Groovy likes this.
  19. joey essex

I think this is the best Pale Blue Dots track and it's just a demo:"

Chris Bernhardt and zakyfarms like this.
  20. joey essex

Norman Records units are being provided by the person who funded the Bandamp release, so all clear if you prefer to order that way. Wanted to make sure I wasn't running around him somehow so I asked...

21. joey essex

Only 30 copies of the PBD vinyl left. Glad to see they were able to get folks to buy it. I was starting to worry they were going to be stuck with lots of records! Maybe that'll inspire Bunf to finally finish that solo record...

22. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Wow, that is good news!

23. joey essex

Thermos is kind of awesome.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  24. joey essex

I'm really impressed with the new track and desperate for more now. I've always liked his stuff, aside from "Back on a Roll," and this could be one of his best songs so far. I had a feeling he had some really good songs to write after "White Socks/Flip Flops" came out. The ambient effects, guitar playing and songwriting on this track are really unique and his voice sounds stronger than usual (it typically has this kinda reedy, off-key element).

Ultimately, adding a solid 6-minute track to Lots of Dots turned a pretty decent little EP into a very good album. I told the guy who put the album together that I'm shocked the bonus track is so good. I expected a middling little ambient noodley thing. That's usually what happens with these releases. At least I paid 2X the price for a quality track.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  25. joey essex

Might press some CDs if there’s any demand.