Super Furry Animals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Dec 24, 2011.

1. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Well, I seem to remember extra speaker stacks at the back of the floor facing forward, and also a very long techno jam during The Man Don't Give A....
    Neither of those things happened this time.

2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I'm disappointed that they haven't recorded anything new yet and don't even have plans to at this point. Gruff mentioned recently that they might record something, but that it most likely would not be an album, which is what I think most SFA fans want.

3. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I just don't know what's been going on since 2009. I never got a chance to read the full article in Mojo last year. I'm sure plenty are waiting for something new. Maybe they'll be inspired after touring. SFA-show me magic!

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I love SFA but it's been awfully quiet for a while now...

5. zakyfarms

Lots of great side projects:

Earth Band
    Gulp
    Cian solo albums
    Gruff solo albums
    Neon Neon
    Pale Blue Dots

probably some I'm forgetting.

WilliamWes likes this.
  6. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I don't know if I'd say that. They're touring right now and have some big shows in the UK coming up in April opening for Noel Gallagher, then back to the US for more dates in May.

7. WilliamWes

Geez, I've lost track. Thanks. Some future research to do it looks like.

8. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I meant in terms of new material. Is there anything on the horizon there?

9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Gruff has only indicated that they might record something this year, but that if they do, it probably won't be an album. So, who knows. Maybe they'll do an EP or a soundtrack? It sounds like they don't have anything planned, but maybe they're just playing their cards close to their chests, so to speak.

10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Super Cagey Animals... :)

11. WilliamWes

I know they were working on the re-issue Mwng.

Found an interview from the time they played New York last summer (now I find out!!), with Huw Bunford; quick excerpt...

AF: I guess my last question would be, what’s next for you guys? A new album?

HB: Yeah, it’s just super loose. We don’t know. We’re taking it a week at a time. Well, not really, we’re doing almost like a festival tour up until the end of the season really. And then after that we’ll do something next year like the festivals and some of the things we didn’t get a chance to do, and that’s about as far as we’ve really stuck our necks out. But it’s good; it’s a nice feeling.

AF: But that’s nice, not being stressed out.

HB: Like I said, you know, people don’t really listen to albums anyway, so wha’ts the point of writing one? (Laughs)

AF: I do!!!

Hmm....

12. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

A new SFA album would be fantastic. Then again, Gruff's "American Interior" was just as good as anything they've done in the past, in my opinion.

noahjld likes this.
  13. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I love Gruff's albums, but they're not as sonically as SFA's, IMO.

Preston, Purplefowler and vince like this.
  14. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Oops ... not as sonically lush, is what I meant to say.

15. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

I knew what what you meant.....
    like all GREAT bands, they are greater when working together!

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  16. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

According to Guto Pryce, Gulp are working on the second album. I guess it means no new SFA album in the near future :(

17. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Not to sidetrack the topic but I'm a big fan of 'love Kraft', how does 'rings Round the world' compare, especially the 5.1 mixes

18. Matt A

Matt A Forum Resident

Along with Brian Wilson, they're playing the Pitchfork festival in Chicago.

19. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Haven't heard it 5.1 version and as an album I rate RATW a bit higher then LoveKraft. RATW is more stylistically diverse, and McCartney contributed to one of the tracks ("Receptacle for the Respectable") :) I have US expanded edition with some bonus tracks, it sounds quite compressed, but I never had the vinyl of it and it's nowhere to be found, unfortunately.

Rekkerds and Preston like this.
  20. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The 5.1 is just superb. As is "Phantom Power".

Rekkerds and vince like this.
  21. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

Saw them do a short headline set at music festival last Sept, felt a bit short changed as they only played about an hour as they were co headliners with idelwild, off to see them at Cambridge, it's a small venue for them only 850 capacity in between the NGHFB gigs

22. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

The regular UK CD of Love Kraft is actually a SACD with a great 5.1 mix, but it's not mentioned anywhere on the cover. I bought one on Amazon for less than $4.50 (including shipping) from England.

noahjld likes this.
  23. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I already bought a ticket for Pitchfork. Pretty incredible that SFA and Brian Wilson are playing the same date. Should be fantastic. I always enjoy going to one day of Pitchfork, but anymore is overkill for me.

Also, someone mentioned Gulp working on a second album. I certainly wouldn't say that that means that SFA won't be recording anytime soon. They're all juggling different projects, but I figure if they can make time to tour together, they shouldn't have a problem making time to record. It would be a real shame for them not to release something new given the momentum they have going right now with all of these live shows, some of them quite big.

realkilroy likes this.
  24. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

+1 Rings Around the World is one of their best albums, IMHO.

25. zakyfarms

Can't speak to the 5.1 mixes, but RATW is their best album, hands-down.

noahjld likes this.