Supergrass reportedly to reunite

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Sep 3, 2019.

1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

Britpop stars Supergrass called it quits in 2010 after releasing six albums, but the UK’s Daily Star reports that they are reforming for the 25th anniversary of their 1995 debut, I Should Coco. The Daily Star says they’ll play their first show in nine years on Friday (9/6) as special guests at the one-day Pilton Party festival in the UK’s West Country, and will then announce a 2020 tour.

Stay tuned for more details and let’s hope this tour includes North American dates. Meanwhile, check out some Supergrass videos below.

Frontman Gaz Coombes released World’s Strongest Man last year.

Supergrass reportedly reforming for 25th anniversary tour

2. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Saw this earlier! Please come across the pond.

3. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

There's definitely some unfinished business here! And loads of it too!! So: About foking time!

(Even though Gaz's solo albums and shows were really good!)

5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

6. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

7. Neonbeam

(I never understood why they called it quits in the first place. It's not as if they were creatively exhausted like some of their contemporaries. "Road To Ruen" is a terrific album that points to several possible ways of recording more mature material. Still - more than - "Allright"!)

CrawdaddySim1, ARK, Fuzzbee and 11 others like this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

'In It For The Money ' is a great album. Just had to throw that in here.

9. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

The only time I saw Supergrass live they were great. I had some of their records but wasn't a huge fan - but that gig is up there with the very best I've been to. Same cannot be said for the performance of their support band The Libertines - although at least I can say I can saw them at the very height of their notoriety (they were on the cover of NME that very week - Is this the most "messed" up band in the world? - was close to the headline) - and they were rubbish.

drivingfrog likes this.
  10. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

I think they started to loose popularity sales-wise at that time. Reunion will give them needed publicity boost and media attention. Gaz's solo records are great, so I am looking forward to hear more music from them.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    drivingfrog and Arnold Grove like this.
  11. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Which year it was, sir?

12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

ARK, Fuzzbee and drivingfrog like this.
  13. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Hopefully this turns into some recording as well. Would be a shame to reunite just for an album anniversary when they still have unfinished business. They should complete Release The Drones at least...

14. Neonbeam

I'm aware of it but that's the one Gaz related album - Supergrass or solo - I never really "got". Even though it was recorded around the corner. At Hansa....

Mal likes this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, they need to record a new album. It would be unworthy of their talent to just do a nostalgic tour just for the money. They probably needed a hiatus after Diamond Hoo Ha, but hopefully they can now come back fully re-energized.

Revolver, mcwlod, RickH and 3 others like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Fantastic. I was blown away by how good that was on release. A great band. I saw them on that tour too. For some reason I only saw them live a couple of times. The other one near the end.

17. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Supergrass played the Leeds University in 2002, 2004 and 2005 - the only one that the Libertines could have supported them at was the 2004 gig.

Edit....

Actually just googled both bands and found I was wrong it was in fact 18th October 2002 Leeds University, Leeds, ENG (supported by The Libertines & Rocket Science).

CrombyMouse likes this.
  18. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Woo!

Hopefully it also means some much needed vinyl reissues.

19. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident

I always felt Supergrass was the most criminally underrated act of the BritPop era just ahead of the Bluetones.

Sure they had some very significant success, but they never seemed to get the kudos or huge success that Blur, Oasis, Radiohead, Suede, or Pulp got.

To me they were the BritPop equivalent of the Small Faces of the 60s post British beat scene. Maybe, because they just focused on making great records, being a great live energetic act, and seeming to have a good time instead of having an iconic image.

20. dixiedixie69

dixiedixie69 Forum Resident

I think Micky had some health issues, plus they weren't selling records.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  21. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I think Danny hated the direction they were going in with Release The Drones.

Flippikat likes this.
  22. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

23. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

No real need for them to reunite as Gaz has proven himself, though I can't really get into him solo - Supergrass were my band growing up since I was 18, saw them 25 times. So talented.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think that they were the best UK band to come out of the 90s. Glad to hear that they will be back!

kinkling, Revolver, Guy E and 3 others like this.
  25. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Saaaaa-weeeeeeeet-aaaaaahhhhhhh