Supergrass reportedly to reunite

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I'm not the one losing sleep over band reunions.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  2. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

Honestly, I don't think the Libertines wanted to be there. I was quite surprised I saw them so early, they definitely had a lot of column inches in 2002 - but as you say - maybe confined to the music weeklies.

Supergrass couldn't be further away as a band - certainly in terms of professionalism. I am up for the occasional car crash of an evening's entertainment, but when I saw them, the Libertines weren't even that.

3. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Not sure how my statement confused enough that you felt the need to post a sarcastic comment. However, I never said I was troubled by their audacity - I'm one of their biggest fans. If you say you are splitting up (not on hiatus, not on a break) and you do a farewell tour to boot (billed as such), 9 years doesn't seem a huge amount of time to be back on the road reunited. I mean it's been six years since Pearl Jam put out an album but they didn't split up. So no, there are no rules, but there are my reasons, hope you are less confused now.

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

A great collection. Own all the albums on vinyl.

5. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Because I see tons of sanctimonious posts and statements by fans who either say things like it's "too soon" for a reunion, or "they should just pack it in already" when a band is still playing together in their 60s, or "cash grab" when artists who have had contentious relationships start playing together again, or whatever. The musicians alone are the ones who get to determine what they're going to do, regardless of their reasons for doing so. The fan can then decide if they're going to support said endeavor. It's pretty cut and dry in my eyes. Goes against your code of rock and roll purity? Don't support it. But don't be all pious about what should be or shouldn't be done by artists with the music they created, want to begin creating again, or want to continue creating even if they've been at it for 50+ years.

EDIT: I'm sorry if I've been harsh over your post. I'm glad that you're happy about the reunion, but that being the case, I'm just surprised it makes a difference how long (or short) a time it's been since they last played since you get to see them perform again. But the behavior I described above is a major pet peeve of mine, and so it doesn't take much for me to get riled up when I see or read such talk.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    drivingfrog and Paul R like this.
  6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

"We're not going to Grass up the special guest at the Pilton Party, but we're pretty sure they'll be Super"

Fuzzbee and octophone like this.
  7. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Cracking band, should have been bigger than the average continent.

I see what they did there. :D

drivingfrog and Haristar like this.
  8. dude

dude Senior Member

Yes here's hoping another album comes out of this.

9. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Supergrass are my favourite 90s band after Oasis and Blur. I enjoy all their albums and I think the first two are particularly fantastic.

I really hope they are reuniting and make some new music.

10. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

More chance of that than the Stone Roses getting their shi! together...

youngchoulin likes this.
  11. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

True, but I guess Supergrass are more likely to need a pay day at this point.

12. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

for me it's
    Gene
    Pulp
    Supergrass
    then the rest of 'em

drivingfrog likes this.
  13. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

And it's official!

(Don't bother clicking on the link for anything other than the barest confirmation, fwiw)

cyril sneer likes this.
  14. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

This is also a great album.

E_Braunn_Fan and cyril sneer like this.
  15. Fuzzbee

Fuzzbee Forum Resident

When they broke up, they had almost completed recording a new album. I wonder if they will release that.

16. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Some hot takes from out there in twitterland:

The "official" announcement won't come until right before the band actually takes the stage. So a few more hours.

Someone tweeted a photo of a Pilton Party t-shirt. The back has the roster of bands. Supergrass is right below Wolf Alice.

Edit: And here it is.

[​IMG]

Now for the set list and tour dates...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  17. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

drivingfrog and miller_time22 like this.
  18. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

19. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Hopefully they will reissue all their albums on vinyl

20. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The catalogue was moved to Warners after the sale of EMI but I'm not sure if Warners have offloaded them to the likes of Castle or Cherry Red which has happened to some EMI Group artists.
    While some limiting may be baked into the mixes they did sound better by varying degrees to the cd issues, I'm not sure if the dynamics can be improved further which would be an additional incentive for vinyl reissues.

21. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Really hoping for a new LP. I know they were working on one when they split.

miller_time22 and Fuzzbee like this.
  22. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

[​IMG]

WELCOME BACK!

They opened with "Fuzz". Apparently, the NME is livestreaming it but that might just be for the UK only.

stevemoss, ARK, drivingfrog and 5 others like this.
  23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Oh, I like!

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member