Supergrass reportedly to reunite

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I'd really like this box set but I've already got the whole LP catalog on vinyl and CD. So I'm really only interested in the rarities and live CDs and the book. Seems this will be well over $300 in my currency (Cdn).

2. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

Delighted about this, tried to get tickets for their gig in Hackney tonight but they were all snapped up in seconds on Saturday after going on sale.

Intrigued as to the contents of the rarity disc, hopefully a lot of stuff from their golden age (In It For The Money). I'd given up on a super deluxe of that album as it's been a while since they did the expanded reissue of the debut, I presumed that hadn't sold too well.

3. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

Have any US stores put the box set up for sale.... without the $67 shipping??

Disco Robot likes this.
  4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Strummergas and robbroncs like this.
  5. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

I was on the front row right by Mick! What an amazing show, they have still got it! I also got a set list fat the end of the show [​IMG]
    a greatest hit set but they sounded tight. So happy right now:pineapple: Proper review to come later...

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I really enjoyed the 2006 Supergrass show I saw. Maybe 800 people in a 1,000 club in Vancouver.

It's notable how few groups form the past decade or so have NOT broken up. Part of it is fans "allow" groups to do a few random festival shows each year without new music.

cyril sneer likes this.
  7. KaptKopter

8. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

9. KaptKopter

10. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I think I must have been standing about an arms length away from you! Was superb, the energy was great, Gaz was smiling the whole time. Nice to hear their very best songs in one tight set. There was no filler whatsoever. How Danny keeps that speed up is beyond me - he's a machine! I doubt Oasis or Blur could have pulled off a similar feat. I was very happy to hear St Petersburg and Going Out.

MitchLT, KaptKopter and Strummergas like this.
  11. Libertine

Libertine Forum Resident

I’m very excited about this reunion. I’ve pre ordered the box set and will make it my mission to see them in London next March.

My hope is that they can continue with their solo work AND we can still enjoy future recordings and gigs from Supergrass. I really feel that they haven’t received the credit they deserve, especially for being such consistently good songwriters and maybe that might change now.

miller_time22 and KaptKopter like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

For those in the New York area, so far I have only seen info for the Brooklyn Steel show (April 9)---see post #129 above.

No info on any Webster Hall show (April 8). This gig was mentioned in one article somewhere, but I'm not sure if that was accurate. If anyone hears otherwise, please post that info here.

robbroncs likes this.
  13. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I very much doubt that will happen, but it would be great if it was a more permanent reunion. Had Gaz been less successful with his solo career things could have been different, he's very happy doing his own thing by all accounts.

14. KaptKopter

Oh really! Like the Masons, should have made the Hoffman sign :edthumbs:. I could not agree with you more, all killer, no filler, and yes happy to hear St Petersburg, always a favourite of mine. They seemed to really get into the stride of things after 'Caught By The Fuzz' because it was slightly slower than on record, but it was the first song and yes Danny Goffey is a machine, As a fellow drummer myself, I always enjoy his playing especially his frenetic fills. I think they all enjoyed themselves, I liked the banter from Danny checking if hands were ok and I finally got to hear 'Alright' live! Long story short, I have now seen them 7/8 times, including the swansong gig at Brixton in 2010, but had to leave early so didn't get to hear 'Alright' so have never heard it live ,because when I did see them live, it was after they dropped it from their sets. Being at the very front to hear that was very very special for me.

Its why they are my favourite of the britpop pack, they are so good live, each member is indispensable like every classic band. I will see them again on the 2020 tour come hell or high water.

I think this reunion will probably last for a year as they all have their own solo careers (relatively successful ones especially Gaz) and this is when their calender's
    align. I am hopeful that if it goes well, we might get new material but I think with the box set and the specific focus on celebrating their 25th it will be a one year only affair.

Byrdman77 likes this.
  15. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Absolutely. I know it's "First World Problems" and all that, but it's a crying shame they're picture discs and not black (or even coloured) vinyl. I've heard that pic discs have got better in sound quality but it's still a non-starter for me.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  16. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Got a ticket to see them in Birmingham, even though I live in London. Alexandra Palace is simply too big. The capacity is 10,500 and the venue in Birmingham a lot smaller, at 3,000. Much more worth it seeing them in a smaller place, and it's only a 2 hour drive.

Definitely looking forward to seeing them. They're one of the bigger bands I like that I haven't seen live yet.

cyril sneer likes this.
  17. KaptKopter

Good call, I am going to see them in Manchester for the same reasons (only a train ride over the pennines to Sheffield for me), sometimes the sound quality at Ally Pally is atrocious.
    You will have a great time.

paulbright81 and Vern like this.
  18. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Got my Barrowlands tickets, excellent stuff

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not sure how this discussion is a "first world problem", from an audiophile point of view picture discs are not ideal. You might do them as a gimmick but if you're about to release them as only alternative to rather expensive original copies that's not a "first world problem", that's daft.

Still a great price at 165€ but since I'm only missing "Diamond Hoo Ha", I don't have to consider this.

20. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I’m still considering buying the box, too. It’s kind of a gamble. Will it sell out before the reviews come in? I have the I Should Coco reissue and like the mastering. But shouldn’t In It For The Money be a double album? In my memory it is 50 minutes plus and quite a muddy mix. Could use the extra grooves, I think.
    Anyways, I would have prefered if they have taken the route that Doves or SFA did, releasing the albums seperately. I’m not one for outtakes and the like.

Neonbeam likes this.
  21. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

It's the very definition of a First World Problem though, shurely?

I'm frustrated the reissues are on (probably inferior sounding) picture discs, or are not a CD only box set, but I'll live.

22. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... aren't we discussing sonics here? A first world problem - as I understand it -would be like "I've got 79 different pressings of 'Ziggy Stardust', should I get the new picture disc as well?"

But if a long out of print back catalogue is being reissued on vinyl for the first time ever, it's perfectly valid to discuss that.

That said, I'm not opposed to picture discs. Occasionally they can sound very good but most of them have a higher noise floor. So the fact that this Supergrass box has six of them is posing a risk. Still: If I didn't have these albums on vinyl I'd bite the bullet, pay my 165€ and preorder a signed copy. :crazy:

23. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

I'd never heard of Supergrass before seeing this thread. But after checking out a few of their tunes online, they sound pretty good.

Were they ever popular in the US? If a newbie wanted to pick up one of their albums, which would be the best to get?

24. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

Of course it's valid to discuss it. I don't like picture discs because there's usually a lot of surface noise and/or they don't sound as good as regular black vinyl. Plus it's difficult to see if there's dust on the disc. It's unlikely the record company are going to change their minds because I say they should though.
    I'm hoping the Supergrass albums are reissued on black vinyl individually, I regret selling my original LP of "I Should Coco".

Neonbeam likes this.
  25. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Don’t know if they were ever popular in the US, my guess is not.
    But start with I Should Coco and work your way up, so to speak. It’s great to hear them evolving from super catchy britpop to well, more proggy britpop and back again :winkgrin: Just dive in, you won’t be disappointed.

Strummergas and JuanTCB like this.