Superman - Cavill Out!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

I'd love to see The Spectre on the big/little screen!

2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

People are always going to complain but I'd wait and see what the final product looks like and how it performs. If it makes a billion dollars, none of the "lightweight" opinions will matter.

GodShifter likes this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Henry Cavill offered a cryptic response to the rumors in an Instagram video.

Vidiot and David Campbell like this.
  4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Is Nic Cage still available?

razerx, Michael and David Campbell like this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Jon Hamm seems a poor, comedic, alternative to someone else.

My advice is give it some room to breathe. DC seems to be a massive failure as opposed to Marvel. As a Marvel fan as a kid, I’m a bit befuddled as the product now is schlocky crap. DC should have the edge here, but, for whatever reason, has blown it.

dkmonroe likes this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think DC is inexplicably STILL hung up over the 1966 Batman TV series and the Christopher Reeve Superman movies - they're afraid to let down the gritty pose because they think people still think Batman is Adam West and Burt Ward. Also they seem to think that The Dark Night Returns is the gold standard for Batman and they're always trying to reach for that goal. And if it works for Batman, why not make the whole thing brooding and dark? Marvel, on the other hand, grasps the fact that what we ALWAYS wanted from comic books was fun. The best Marvel movies all have that lighthearted aspect to them - their heroes are complicated, partly messed up people, but they're also clever and confident and crack a joke once in a while. And maybe that's what DC is reacting to - they might think they're in danger of looking like a Marvel-rip off. But seriously, I can't even look at the cinematic Aquaman without laughing. If he were in the traditional orange and green jammies it would be less distracting.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

unfortunately he's too old.

8. Michael

it's possible it was just a ploy...

Encuentro likes this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Always, I'm sure...bet he takes his phone to the set with him every day, rings up his agent to ask, "Well? Was it Warners...?!"

"...oh, what...? Ummm, what IS it then...a 'Benji' re-boot, huh...? And Steve Carrell can't free himself from his 'Maxwell Smart, Circus Clown' project, huh...? I...guess it means my contract says, if Steve Carell is busy, no matter WHAT the part, I'm legally-obligated to test for it, riiight...? *sigh* Tell Michael Bay I'll be in to read for him next Wednesday..."
    *click*
    "DAMN...I wish I'd never trusted a man on a lonely crossroads in the middle of nowhere...shoulda read-up on my Robert Johnson (oh dear God I hope nobody heard me say that...I hear Tarrantino's looking for his next epic, and that sounds like something nobody in his right mind ought to do...!)

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

LOL...tough getting old.

11. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Actually, Batman the Animated Series is the Gold standard for Batman!

DiabloG, bherbert, Jim B. and 5 others like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Time and gravity take their toll.

Michael likes this.
  13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

You have captured what I believe is the case. My wife and I rented Superman vs Batman and Justice League this week. S vs. B was so darkly filmed, it was hard to even see what was on the screen. I couldn't get into the movie. It seemed to take forever for a story to evolve. I gave up about 30 minutes in and we stopped watching. Justice League was a bit better. Wonder Woman and Aquaman actually rescued that film. Aquaman at least injected a bit of humor into the show. Again, very dark story and not told very well. Afflek is just horrible as Batman, with his deliberately low Batman voice. I enjoy almost all the Marvel movies, and I'm not even a big fan of superhero movies (but my wife is). As you have said, the Marvel movies are fun. But I wasn't to pleased with Infinity War. Too many Superheros and lesser (unsuper) heros in that one for me. I didn't know who many of them were and it just diluted the story. But overall, Marvel has it figured out. I get the sense that Warner Brothers doesn't really care about the franchise but they are just looking for pushing out films and trying to find the blockbuster that will make them big dollars. They need some good story telling.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

When asked by my kid who is the best Batman?
    The cartoon one, I replied.
    He loved the answer and agreed.
    It is a great series.

DiabloG, David Campbell and GeoffC like this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

More interested in Cavill playing James Bond. What with the next Bond film delay ..Cavill should be in Bond 25.

bherbert likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I like "TAS" but I honestly think it's viewed as better than it is. It's good but I don't think it's that good! :help:

The Nolan movies are my pick as the most effective filmed Batman!

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think Cavill would be a bad Bond. Sure, he's handsome, but I have yet to see evidence that he has any real cinematic charisma - he just seems dull in everything he does!

18. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Apart from the characterisation in BTAS the stories were so good, and it has to be said that Mask of the Phantasm (or Return of the Joker) is the best Film too.

DiabloG, David Campbell and Olompali like this.
  19. Michael

yes no one escapes it no matter how hard they try...and boy do they try!

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

So at this point no one knows the truth about Cavill's future as Superman. Reading between the lines, it seems that this all stems from the Shazam debacle. I do believe there was a problem with money for Cavill so he balked at the whole idea. This escalated into the story that he was done with the Superman franchise BUT....nowhere have I seen any official reports or announcements so my guts telling me that this little uproar about Cavill leaving is a totally unplanned by-product. I don't think the studio, or Cavill for that matter, expected this groundswell of support. If I'm correct, this whole thing may unexpectedly be the most positive thing that's happened to them since Wonder Woman!

David Campbell likes this.
  21. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

The fans in general, even the ones that didn't like the films he was in, like Henry in the role and genuinely want to give him the chance to be Superman in a movie worthy of the character.

Money aside, i think the problem Cavill has is that the studio expects him to be on call to cameo in other characters movies with no firm plans to give him another in the immediate future, and he just doesn't want to be the "special guest star". That and he wants more say over the future direction Warners wants to take Superman. He's been a team player with WB and Snyder until now, but understandably he has grown impatient with WB as they haven't done the character any favors, so he wants more quality control and a producers credit to go along with it. I'm guessing that's the reason why WB wants to move away from Cavill.

It's a shame because he obviously has a lot of affection for Superman. Unlike most of the other actors who have played Supes, he is an unashamed comic book geek and has loved the character from childhood. He even named his dog Kal. He is passionate about the character. I sort of cynically wonder if that's in part why Warner Bros wants to replace him. Cavill has been pretty frank in interviews since just before JL that he felt things can be better for the character. Odds are he won't be a team player from now on when it comes to WB's questionable decisions on Superman.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Time to reconsider Kevin Smith to reenergize the Superman franchise.

agentalbert and David Campbell like this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A four Bond film stint would suit the young actor well. Henry Cavill that is.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And yet: Robert Downey has made short cameo appearances in other Marvel films, as has Samuel L. Jackson. I would argue that either of them is a much more famous movie star than Henry Cavill.

Simon A, GodShifter and Michael like this.
  25. If you want to see him intense, watch The Town, Baby Driver, Mad Men, Beirut. He could carry it.
    This is all about money and the possibility that Cavill is anxious to work or move on. DC is so disorganized. It also appears that DC is now throwing its weight behind Supergirl at the expense of Superman. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Both could be done as terrific films.

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.