Superman exists in the same fictional universe as Seinfeld

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Forget the memorabilia, Jerry should be able to meet him in person. Now pay attention...

-In a a 1957 episode of "I Love Lucy", Superman shows up and meets the Ricardos. Note that he is only referred to as 'Superman' and not 'George Reeves'.

-In a 1958 "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour", Lucy and Ricky meet the Williams family from "The Danny Thomas Show"

-In a 1963 episode of "The Danny Thomas Show", Buddy Sorrell from "The Dick Van Dyke Show" makes a crossover appearance.

-We now flash-forward all the way to 1995 when Carl Reiner reprises his role as Alan Brady from "Dick Van Dyke" on an episode of "Mad About You".

-Now backtrack to 1992, where it is revealed that Paul Buchman from "Mad About You" previously lived in the apartment of.....Kramer from "Seinfeld", thereby putting all these interconnected shows and characters in the same fictional universe.

And if you want to go crazy, you can also tie-in all the characters from "The Andy Griffith Show" "Gomer Pyle", "Friends" and many other series as well...

And it all ends with "St. Elsewhere".

Tord, SteelyNJ, ssmith3046 and 4 others like this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Icons In Manhattan Getting Corporate Sponsorship

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's a paradox, because Superman is referred to as a fictional character in Seinfeld. And there's a Seinfeld episode where Jerry mentions he's never seen an episode of I Love Lucy, so clearly Lucy and Ricky Ricardo are also fictional characters in the Seinfeld universe.

It's similar to the Adam 12/Emergency paradox. Officers Reed and Malloy from Adam 12 appear on the Emergency pilot, and later there's an Adam 12 episode where the officers go to Rampart Hospital and interact with characters from Emergency. Yet even later, there's an episode of Emergency in which the paramedics are shown watching an episode of Adam 12 on TV, indicating it's a fictional show in their universe.

6. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Ot is it a weekly **documentary**...?!?!?

:D

- Kevin

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

My recollection is that it's clear that they are watching a fictional TV drama. Can't find a clip of the episode online, but this summary of it quotes Roy as saying to Johnny, “It’s just a television show. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I know they’ll be back next week with another problem.”

hi_watt and ssmith3046 like this.
  8. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Newman!

Exotiki and ssmith3046 like this.
  9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

At the very least, if your continuity logic holds up, then what's to stop Koko the Clown from entering the same doors Kramer goes through...and Newman sexually-harassing Betty Boop-! :eek:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  10. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Kramer may have been a part of the Mad About You universe, but Mad About You was fictional in the Seinfeld universe as George and his finance Susan we’re watching an episode together.

hi_watt and ssmith3046 like this.
  11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm enjoying this thread in my universe of today which was a different universe yesterday. Looking forward to tomorrow's universe, if it exists, to catch up on this thread in real time.

vinnie likes this.
  12. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

This thread seems like an ode to writer's block.

Zeroninety likes this.
  13. dirwuf

Maybe what George and Susan are watching is a reality show.

vinnie likes this.
  14. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

And there's the proof that Kramer is in fact Jerry's imaginary friend.

j_rocker likes this.
  15. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

If true, a fact worth mentioning on the Peterman Reality Tour.

16. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Also confusing is the Murphy Brown Universe in Seinfeld.

In the Seinfeld season 3 finale, "The Keys" (May 1992) Kramer leaves for the west coast after an argument with Jerry about the keys.
    He winds up with an acting job playing Murphy Brown's latest ( a running gag on that show) secretary Steven Snell.
    So the real Kramer is playing a fiction character on TV.

Fast forward to the season 6 finale, "The Understudy" ( May 18 ,1995), after George runs over and knocks out Bette Midler at home plate during a softball game, Kramer befriends her in the hospital and helps her recover.
    That's Bette Midler playing Bette Midler.

Now skip ahead exactly 3 years to May 18, 1998 and the series finale* of Murphy Brown "Never Can Say Goodbye" ( which btw, aired 4 days after the Seinfeld finale) In that episode Murphy hires yet another secretary (the 93rd) by the name of Caprice Feldman, played by - Bette Midler.
    That's just Caprice Feldman,
    not (Kramer's friend) Bette Midler playing secretary Caprice Feldman the way Kramer was playing secretary Steven Snell.

So if real Kramer is friends with real Bette Midler and he'd took an acting job on the same show that later hired Caprice Feldman, then what's the deal with Midler. Does she no longer exist in Kramer's Seinfeld world?

Complicating matters further, Murphy Brown co worker Frank Fontana's father is played by Barney Martin who happens to be Jerry Seinfeld's father.

*that was the show's finale at that time. It later returned.

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I did not watch Murphy Brown, but I don't understand how what you're describing is confusing at all.

Kramer and Midler are established (on Seinfeld) as living in the same universe. Murphy Brown is established as a fictional TV show in the Seinfeld universe. Kramer plays a fictional character on Murphy Brown, and later Midler plays a fictional character on Murphy Brown. It seems perfectly consistent to me, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

So, is this 5 degrees of Superman, Seinfeld, Cosmo....???

19. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Ha, saw this episode last night. The Phone Machine from Season 2. And Jerry is very proud of the fact.

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Watched every I Love Lucy as a kid. Ironically, I've never watched an episode of Seinfeld all the way through.

21. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

An easier explanation would be that real life actors play fictional characters, and TV show writers don't really care about continuity with other TV shows.

22. dirwuf

But what fun is that?

23. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Absolutely none.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.