Supertramp Album By Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrJerry1876, Aug 10, 2021.

1. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager Thread Starter

I've followed an album by album thread recently and I have learned a lot of knowledge about the artist and his albums. I have recently been listening to a lot of Supertramp and have been liking the albums I've listened to and would like to learn more about the albums than the average Wikipedia page can give me. I would also really love to hear other members' opinions on the albums. Let's take a week to discuss an album starting on Friday the thirteenth (I don't know what time, but probably before Noon, Eastern-standard time) with the self-titled and go from there. Thanks in advance to anyone who participates!

PS: I don't know if this has been done before. The search didn't show me any threads like this. Also, this is my first time managing a long term thread. Sorry if I miss a day or two. I'll stay on top of this as best as I can.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Wonderful band. Great run of albums.

You can do it mate.

Boognish, Wimbo, Ryan Lux and 12 others like this.
  3. The Starclipse

The Starclipse Forum Resident

Im Excited About This!

Ryan Lux and A Local Bloke like this.
  4. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

I'll try to follow. Not so familiar with the first two, but after that it should be fun.

Ryan Lux and JulesRules like this.
  5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Love me some Supertramp...I'll check in when I can.

6. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

Fan of Supertramp, looking forward to this. Wouldn't mind a reunion concert on YouTube.

7. jeffd7030

jeffd7030 I can't complain, but sometimes I still do.

I've been getting into Supertramp lately too. This will be an interesting thread - great idea. You can do it!

Ryan Lux, JulesRules and MrJerry1876 like this.
  8. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Nice. I'll check back for 'breakfast in america', and 'famous last word'.

i think i heard some of 'brother where you bound', but never listened to anything after that.

later

9. MrJerry1876

Here is the schedule for the albums:
    August 13- Supertramp
    August 20- Indelibly Stamped
    August 27- Crime Of The Century
    September 3- Crisis? What Crisis?
    September 10- Even In The Quietest Moments
    September 17- Breakfast In America
    September 24- Paris/Live In Paris '79
    October 1- Famous Last Words...
    October 8- Brother Where You Bound
    October 15- Live '88
    October 22- Some Things Never Change
    October 29- It Was The Best Of Times/Live, 1997
    November 5- Slow Motion
    We can also discuss Hodgson's solo works afterward if you'd like and what the 70-10 Tour album(s) are. I don't know much about them. (Then again, I know absolutely nothing of post-Brother Where You Bound Supertramp)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  10. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

11. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

That's great!

12. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

I don’t know the first two that well, so this will be a good way to get acquainted.

JulesRules likes this.
  13. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Any reason their final studio release on A&M Free as a Bird was skipped in that list?

GoodKitty likes this.
  14. MrJerry1876

Sorry, I must've forgot it. Thanks for pointing it out! Here's an amended list:
    August 13- Supertramp
    August 20- Indelibly Stamped
    August 27- Crime Of The Century
    September 3- Crisis? What Crisis?
    September 10- Even In The Quietest Moments
    September 17- Breakfast In America
    September 24- Paris/Live In Paris '79
    October 1- Famous Last Words...
    October 8- Brother Where You Bound
    October 15- Free Bird
    October 22- Live '88
    October 29- Some Things Never Change
    November 5- It Was The Best Of Time/ Live, 1997
    November 12- Slow Motion

15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Great!

16. MrJerry1876

Alrighty! Let's start down the long road with their first album, Supertramp![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Supertramp, also known by a few other names, was the group's first album. Roger Hodgson does all lead vocals on it. I shall begin my review:
    1. Surely
    My take: A neat little poem. Doesn't do much for me, but it makes a nice bookend.
    2. It's A Long Road
    My take: One of my favorites. Not just off this, but in general Supertramp.
    3. Au Bade/ I'm Not Like Any Other Birds Of Prey
    My take: I'm not a big fan of it.
    4. Words Unspoken
    My take: Again, don't like it as much as some others.
    5. Maybe I'm A Beggar
    My take: I really like this. My only complaint is that it may be a minute or so too long but I like the fade out into
    6. Home Again
    My take: Another poem. I don't like this as much as Surely however.
    7. Nothing To Show
    My take: Another one of my favorites. Great rocker.
    8. Shadow Song
    My take: It's good, but not that good. Too slow and quiet for my tastes.
    9. Try Again
    My take: The best off of here. I've always liked Supertramp's epics (Fool's Overture, Brother Where You Bound) and this one is no exception. After the last set of vocals end, I hear a guy say 'Oh Yeah!'. Has anyone else heard this?
    10. Surely (Reprise)
    My take: I prefer this to the first Surely. It has the complete poem and I really like the outro. Davies writes really good outros and even Hodgson sometimes.

My take as a whole: Really strong. Some lows, but the highs make up for them. What are your thoughts?

17. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I look forward to hearing the comments and responses on the first two Supertramp releases as I have never heard them. I didn’t get into them until Crime of the Century (which I love) up until Famous Last Words (where they lost me). But the core four (Crime, Crisis, Quietest Moments, Breakfast) are some the best stuff this band ever pumped out. So I will follow with particular interest to see if others here with knowledge of the first two can sway me into adding them to my collection.

A bump for the thread. Thanks MrJerry1876 for this thread. I’m happy to take the long way home and read along!

Ryan Lux, JulesRules, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  18. Supertramp are one of those bands I don't listen to for long stretches of time and then when I do, can't believe I haven't because they are just so good. I have specific albums I particularly love and play often, and we can go through that when we get to them in the thread.
    I think it's also an obvious thing to say but Roger has one of the most uniquely distinctive voices in modern music. With the band, a special sound for sure.

Good luck with the thread!

19. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

The eponymous first album is a far cry from what the band would ultimately sound like. Yet the sound is very intriguing, extremely chill and nearly pastoral at times. The songs almost fit together like one long suite with various tempo and mood changes along the way. It's sometimes difficult to separate one song from another since there is a lack of distinction between them. However, that similarity is what creates the incredible mood of the album. It's a quiet, introspective piece of aural art. It livens up just often enough to keep from being sleepy. I really enjoy it.

Those who were raised on later albums, or who haven't listened much past Breakfast In America, will not recognize the group heard here, other than familiarity with the vocalists. But I think this is a terrific debut, and one that I'll seek out more often.

20. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

A lovely album which I feel is underrated (to use an overrated word) maybe because it's so different than anything else they ever did. A light, breezy early prog-ish, psych-ish album which always puts me in a pleasant mood when I listen to it. I've written before that I've always thought "Nothing To Show" is an astounding song which, with a bit of editing and a proper promotional push, had the potential to be a hit single. I would imagine that the free-form section of "Try Again" is too much for lots of people, like the similar section in King Crimson's "Moonchild". But I like that sort of thing in moderation, so it doesn't hurt the album for me.

OK then, so yes, this is one of my favorite Supertramp albums. :)

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they never made a bad album, the first, like many firsts, is a wee bit on the weak side, and each subsequent album gets better and better.

a very very under-rated band worthy of hall of fame consideration that they will never ever get.

JulesRules, Dog Ear, The MEZ and 4 others like this.
  22. While the lead vocals are mainly by Roger, on Maybe I'm A Beggar and Try Again, Richard Palmer-James takes the co-lead, as does Rick on Nothing To Show and Shadow Song.

Underrated, solid debut, more in a soft prog vein, not as commercial as the following ones since it lacks a catchy Top 40 song, even with some beautiful ballads on it, like Aubade / And I Am Not Like Other Birds Of Prey, Words Unspoken, Maybe I'm A Beggar and Shadow Song.
    Fine prog-rock material, with very good instrumental work from this early line-up, with the core 1969-82 team of Rick and Roger (playing bass), also Richard Palmer-James as their lyricist/lead guitarist and Robert Millar on drums.

Quite different from their classic sound, but fans of early Yes (1969/70) may enjoy this one.

MGM, squittolo, JulesRules and 7 others like this.
  23. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Supertramp - They hadn't really found their style on their first album but it's good anyhow.

Ryan Lux, JulesRules, polchik and 2 others like this.
  24. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Song by Song thoughts:

Surely - Just a snippet that introduces the overarching mood of the album. Nothing to see here.

It's A Long Road - Really nice up tempo jam that mellows out towards the end and sets the stage for subsequent tracks

Aubade - Mellow with a languid shuffling beat and a lovely vocal. It's amazing how Hodgson's tone evolved over time, this is very understated compared to what would come later.

Words Unspoken - This feels like a natural follow-on to Aubade. Another beautiful vocal with a beneath the surface rhythm that propels the song forward. It's kind of catchy, though it never would have worked a single.

Maybe I'm A Beggar - This one is a bit too pretentious. The vocal in the first section is forced and the backing instrumentation tries to shove it forward, it doesn't flow naturally. Then when it explodes into an electric jam, the effect is jarring. The ongoing back and forth between quiet and loud doesn't work at all here.

Home Again - This is rather slight. Short and doesn't overstay its welcome, but nothing I'd seek out.

Nothing To Show - Doesn't fit with the other songs on the album very well. Feels like an early attempt to craft something that is radio ready. It's decent but definitely not ready for prime time. The jam in the back half is fun, though.

Shadow Song - This is a very pretty ballad, with vocals that are a bit ragged, but serve the song very well. It's nice to hear their vocals in a form that's not overproduced and polished. One of my favorites on the album.

Try Again - A stretched out epic that works terrifically. All the pieces fit together, and it feels like it's heading towards a destination rather than simply existing as an instrumental and vocal showcase. The noodling in the back half disrupts the momentum somewhat, and I'm not sure why it needs to be there.

Surely (reprise) - The song would have been better served to end in a similar fashion as it did at the album open. The additional instrumental outro adds nothing, and kind of disrupts the gentle flow of the ending.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Will we also be reviewing the Supertramp turntables?

MrJerry1876 likes this.