Supertramp Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Joey Johnson

Joey Johnson Forum Resident

One of my favorite concert songs of all time is "Rudy". The train scene that was projected behind the band was brilliant.

2. Br. Scott

Br. Scott Well-Known Member

I did not realize this until I started searching for Supertramp CD's on Ebay, it seemed like most of the copies were being sold from Canada. I really wanted the Very Best Of Supertramp CD's, but I was leery to purchase them due to how they were mastered and who mastered them. I checked the DR Database (which is not always a perfect indication) in relation to Supertramp The Very Best Of I & II CD's and they listed the Canadian Polytel CD's to be a good dynamic range. So, I found them and purchased them and really enjoy their sound. Maybe Canadian Supertramp CD's are the way to go? These worked for me.
    I love Even In The Quietest Moments and Breakfast In America, among their albums.

Chemguy and CybrKhatru like this.
  3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Fittingly, the first time I become aware of Supertramp was in Canada in late December 1979 at age 11. We were visiting my Aunt's family in the Vancouver area and as they were driving us to their place from the airport, the song "Take the Long Road Home" came on the radio and my cousin was singing verses and raving about the song and the band. I also distinctly remember everyone musing about Canada's then recent conversion to the metric system, something us Americans have never got around to.

MortSahlFan, Chemguy and CybrKhatru like this.
  4. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

It's as simple as that. ^^^^
    The only thing I said with any passion was that I do not wish to be involved with this thread because the OP set a tone and ground rule of not just "pop is bad, prog is good" and "Supertramp has no right to betray their fans by including a pop song on an album and they are bad for doing so" but that the OP's opinions are unassailable. They are stated as extremes of "never liked it, never will". Not an open, friendly environment.
    Just to be clear, it's not your comment
    that I found amusing. It's that after I stated my position, you would imagine that your far more extreme condemnation of a song I said I loved would make me feel more that this is a place I would want to have discussions about Supertramp's music and want to interact with people that are reasonable and open to discussion. You blame one song for basically ruining a whole band's integrity! The idea that you are making this a more reasonable thread is what I found amusing.
    More importantly, after saying
    you then defend a song by saying "I take offense at "Bloody Well Right"! :waiting: That is (supposedly) Supertramp's most played song for a reason..."
    You are contradicting your own earlier position/statement by using the popularity of the song as proof of its value!!!
    I do hope you can understand some doubt that your own "arguments" are based on any sound or consistent reasoning.
    Finally, this clip from a concert on Supertramp's final tour with Hodgson, in your very own country. The tens of thousands of audience members have just quietly listened to a performance of Rick's "Bloody Well Right" and given it an enthusiastic round of applause. Then Roger starts off "It's Raining Again" and suddenly the audience isn't quiet anymore. The sound of a hundred thousand hands clapping, the sight of thousands of people just unthinkingly smiling as wide as their mouths will stretch, you have to ask yourself why something that makes that many Supertramp fans feel that good fills you with such contempt and makes you feel that bad.

(Playing this on YouTube should take you to the right place, but if not it's about 18:40 in)
    Do you think that perhaps if your entire "prog community" could have gathered outside the venue and explained to the fans before they went in why "It's Raining Again" is such a bad song, that you could have prevented this?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The Canadian vinyl of Crime...is great, as is the Canadian Audiophile pressing!

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I have a concert tape from a show that Supertramp did in Calgary, McMahon Stadium, back in 1979...maybe 1980. We recorded it on a boom box! You know, it still sounds really good.

And boy, were they ever excellent! Sigh.

Ryan Lux likes this.
  7. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm bloody sorry :)

On radio? I would just guess in general that a song like "The Logical Song" or "Give A Little Bit" or even "Take The Long Way Home" would get more play. I don't know anything about streaming sites, but it would be interesting to see all their rankings in terms of listens.

Thanks and cool! Hope you had a nice listen - curious to read what you think.

8. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

As a young kid, I used to get promo 45s from the local record shop in town, cause they knew I loved music (and 45s in general)... one of those promo 45s was "The Logical Song" when it was a new release. That's what started it for me. I was 8 years old in 1979. Then I heard "Goodbye Stranger" on KFI and completely flipped. I had to have this.

Turns out the B-side of "Stranger" was "Even in the Quietest Moments". B-side of "Take the Long Way Home" was "Rudy"....

No looking back after that !!!!

MortSahlFan likes this.
  9. MortSahlFan

Had no idea "Rudy" was a B-Side --- it's probably in my Top 5 Supertramp songs.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Yes!

I guess A&M decided while Breakfast In America was flying up the charts, they would use the B-sides of singles to highlight album cuts from previous records... :)

MortSahlFan likes this.
  11. MortSahlFan

Never knew that! Makes sense, especially in retrospect.
    Thanks!

CybrKhatru likes this.
  12. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Wasn't Jim Callaghan a fan of "Crisis? What Crisis?"

kundryishot and Randoms like this.
  13. Peasant Valley Sunday

Peasant Valley Sunday Active Member

Fun fact, in Canada in the late '70s, a federal regulation made it mandatory for every household to own at least one Supertramp LP.

CybrKhatru and Chemguy like this.
  14. Peasant Valley Sunday

Peasant Valley Sunday Active Member

Clever ploy by A&M - put a song from an older album on the B-side to lure you into the Supertramp cult! :)

RickH and CybrKhatru like this.
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

16. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Supertramp are a class act.
    Few bands can match their consummate style.
    They make such pleasurable music. In many ways they never seem to be anything. Maybe that's what makes their music so alluring.
    I only go up to Breakfast with them.
    Supertramp are one of the most accomplished bands of all time.
    They are a pleasure.

Left Hand likes this.
  17. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

I got this one too as a promo. Just like yourself I heard it on the radio and was blown away.
    My local record store used to almost give away promo discs. I got this one for 15p.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  18. MortSahlFan

Breakfast in America (Studio Sessions)
    This is SO cool.. Especially the interviews. About England vs. America. The music scene. The band. Listening to them play in the studio.

kundryishot, ledsox and CybrKhatru like this.
  19. MortSahlFan

This is a short interview, with some nice footage of the band, and some music in the background. The title is a little misleading, unless that was the name of the program

CybrKhatru likes this.
  20. Spinone

Spinone Forum Resident

I love Supertramp too.

Crime and Crisis are in my top 30 favourite albums of all-time.

Back in 77, I was disappointed with Even in the Quietest Moments, although it's really grown on me in recent years.

By 79, my tastes had moved one way, and Supertramp the other. Whilst I was pleased to see them have a huge seller in Breakfast in America, I didn't own a copy until about ten years ago.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  21. MortSahlFan

I put this in the wrong spot (album). Sorry.

An amazing piece of footage. I have all the video on VHS/DVD from Supertramp/Hodgson. I've been a fan for over 20 years, and there's very little video. I don't even know of more than a few audio interviews, too...... I just keep searching every month or so for my favorite 20 things on YouTube for new uploads.

"Hooked On A Feeling" sounds just like "Ain't Nobody But Me"

proedros and CybrKhatru like this.
  22. I don’t think “It’s Raining Again” is a bad song it was just another hit single styled pop song that Roger wrote (and the fact that it’s written about Rick is even sadder). It’s enjoyable and Roger clearly means what he says in the lyrics. It’s a terrific single and catchy even if it ism’t up to some of Roger’s other songs (IMHO).

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  23. Nah Crime clearly sounds like a Rick song to me. The thing is that, even when they wrote apart, there were moments where they contributed ideas to each other’s songs. For example, there was an interview with Roger where he stated that Rick came up with a counter melody for “The Logical Song” (if my memory is correct). I have. Hard time believing that other band members also didn’t contribute ideas to each writers songs. I don’t doubt thatRoger came in According to him) with his songs more fully realized than Rick’s (according to Roger again-Rick would being in his songs play them and ask for feedback, the. Go back and make changes and present the final version) but, again, we only have Roger’s word (since Rick has never discussed any of this that I know of) on how things were in the band.
    As to the long running ‘feud” about Supertramp playing some of Roger’s hits in concert, I think it’s rather silly-it’s no different than any other band playing material (Pink Floyd springs to mind) material fans want to hear. Now, I do think that Rick or someone should have announced that they were playing “Breakfast” or “Logical” were Roger’s songs and they were playing it in tribute to HIM being in the band butI doubt that Roger would have been appeased with that either. Their agreement to not play Roger’s songs (according to Roger) should have been honored but I still think Roger has a chip on his shoulder around d the whole thing.

24. My ranking:

Even in the Quietest Moments
    Breakfast in America
    Crime of the Century
    Brother Where You Bound?
    Slow Motion
    Crisis? what Crisis? (The production let’s me down a bit)
    Some Things Never Change
    Famous Last Words
    Supertramp
    Indelibly Stamped
    Free as a Bird

The first three change slots from time-to-time but that’s where they are today. I like most of Brother Where You Bound which, if combined with In The Eye of the Storm’s best tracks, would have been one of their best albums. Heck, the two albums combined would have been a terrific double album.

25. MortSahlFan

Especially since Roger trusted Rick enough not to have his lawyers get involved and get everything on paper.

Sets a bad precedent in the music business and society with dishonesty.

wayneklein likes this.