Supertramp Crime of the Century

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floatupstream, Jun 23, 2020.

1. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

[​IMG]

2. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

They are well respected and appreciated. They are regarded as classics. Not by the punk and indie and "connoisseur" crowd but certainly they are well loved and fondly remembered by most public and media.

3. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The UK original press with the sparkly A&M label ? I had one of those. Whenever I see used copy in the "record exchange" I always check if it has it, not seen one in years.

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Can't recall anything off-hand that'd qualify. Only similarity would be great sound quality and great production.

Madman Across The Water is a little longer and has a bit of a jam section in the middle. Maybe that's what you heard?

JulesRules likes this.
  5. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is it just me or does anyone here just a hint of Supertramp’s School in Another Brick in the Wall?

6. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

The 90's remaster is a bit peak limited, it has the levels typically boosted up, the original sounds much better, more natural.

c-eling and Dodoz like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

AFAIK
    One old worldwide mastering for this great album on compact disc.
    Few of the later US re-issues were manufactured with the rear art flipped up-side down, geesh :laugh:

Tim 2 likes this.
  8. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I've seen him perform three times, and I find it very impressive he can still sing great. It would be hard for anyone to be able to sing the songs he wrote for Supertramp, especially in that high register.

pablo fanques and Strat-Mangler like this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

They both talk about the same thing, more or less ; how teachers mold students into drones and rob them of their innocence.

JulesRules and MortSahlFan like this.
  10. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

JulesRules and Strat-Mangler like this.
  11. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

No it’s not, it’s brilliant.

12. The Bishop

What a spine tingling moment it is when the title track kicks in. And then the sax solo: it just builds and builds...

That’s not right.

JulesRules likes this.
  13. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

I just can't help but saying that it's just me that hear almost a ripp-off from "Man With A Harmonica". Kudos to them anyway! Needless to say the Tramp guys actually had good taste if that's true...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  14. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

I can hear that CoTC's jazzy feel on "Tower Of Babel".

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    JulesRules likes this.
  15. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

What do you mean by ‘sparkly A&M label’?

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I mentioned in another thread that Waters must have listened verrrrry closely to CoftC when writing The Wall

pablo fanques likes this.
  17. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

LOVE this album! I did a semi-re-evaluation of the "Tramp and some of their albums a few years back and I'm really taken with "Crime" and also "Brother Where You Bound", but "Crime" is certainly a classic especially for the 70's lineup. Favorites are "Rudy", "Dreamer", "Asylum" and of course, the radio hit, "Bloody Well Right". Big fan of Rick Davies, Rodger is great too and they complimented each other well, but sometimes I dig Rick's material just a little more. I'll have check out other ones such as "Crisis, What Crisis?" and "Even in the Quietest of Moments". "Breakfast in America" I owned a long time ago because of my love for "Take the Long Way Home"(still a favorite to this day) and "Goodbye Stranger" and I do think this album is pretty good with their other 70's output, but "Crime of the Century" is the tops for now...

pablo fanques and JulesRules like this.
  18. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The label on the copy I had the lower part of the label had a sort of metalic effect that sparkled (for want of a better description) when moved around, almost holographic.

Neonbeam likes this.
  19. The Bishop

True. And Quadrophenia.

pablo fanques and sekaer like this.
  20. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

The label's design uses very small squares or diamond shapes over the entire surface. The colour tones blend into one another with this pattern being consistent over the entire surface. The space between these square shapes appear to be linear and lighter in tone to the squares so there are parallel lines that run perpendicular to each other
    Light from a source seems to illuminate the lighter areas between the squares causing a glimmer (sparkle) effect that is attenuated by the laminate on the label.
    The effect is not holographic to my eyes but there is a definite specular pattern of light.
    I hope I made myself clear. Looking so closely at my UK first pressing is wrecking my already poor vision!

pablo fanques, Pastafarian and Deek57 like this.
  21. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

By Crime of the Century songs, only School has that atmosphere which is on Breakfast in America the album.

22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Great album, no doubt! But some of the praise in this thread seems slightly over the top to me.

Rick Robson likes this.
  23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

COTC is a definite Desert Island Disc for me

JulesRules and MortSahlFan like this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Disagree. If anything, it'd be Dreamer but even then, it's a bit more of a story than a real pop song.

abzach likes this.
  25. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Nope. School. I mean, that moody atmosphere that has addored entire Breakfast in America the album can be heard in School the song.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Rockford & Roll and Dodoz like this.