Supertramp...which issue is this..A&M 69967??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Just received my copy of "Famous Last Words" by Supertramp. It looks like an import. It's A&M CD 69967 and on the back it says "audio master plus series". There is a sticker on the front that says "CODE N, SPECIAL PRICE, PRIX SPECIAL, UNIVERSAL UMGENST08ST". Can anyone tell me which issue this is? Is this the original mastering?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, it's after Uni bought A&M. I've not actually heard the disc so I have no idea when it was actually mastered, or from what. Most of the A&M versions were mastered from the dubbed EQ proeuction copies...

3. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I'd always been temped to grab Famous Last Words, but never did. I got a vinyl of it around here somewhere- maybe I'll spin that tonight.

I just remember most of the magic being gone by then.

chris

4. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Dang. I thought I was buying the original disc when I saw this one. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. Do you have the catalog number of the correct disc?

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

A&M SP-3732 :)

6. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Oh...strike that. I thought you were talkin' about the LP.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Play it first; it could be the original mastering in a later cover..

8. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Prix, that's a Canadian CD. That explains the french price code on the front. I don't have any idea of the mastering, though, sorry.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

In the U.S., the Audio Master Plus was only used on earlier 80's CDs. NO clue about Canada though...for all I know, they could be using stale packaging (outdated AM+ logo, in other words). In the U.S., I have discs from 1987 and 1988 that don't have the AM+ logo on them, so that even predates A&M's buyout by Polygram.

Far as I can tell, CD-69967 is the only Canadian release (as of 2001, based on the A&M book I'm looking at). CD 3732 should have been the originally released version. (I also see a listing for SP 3284...? A&M sometimes shuffled albums around numerically to fit their pricing categories.) In 1990, it was also reissued under Polygram's numbering system, 75021-3284. AFAIK, that may have been the last released CD version domestically. Any releases since 2001 aren't in my book. As for mastering, no clue. I'd almost guess that the Polygram reissue might just be a repackaging of A&M's original CD release of it. If CD 69967 sounds good, hang onto it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.