Supertramp's Crisis? What Crisis?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IMMusicRulz, Mar 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Ha
    hahaha i thought the same thing.

IMMusicRulz and Pianoman99 like this.
  2. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

My copy probably bought in `75 does NOT have Made In England.

Yes, the label of mine looks like this:

[​IMG]

No idea, but mine is a shiny yellow paper inner sleeve, so corresponds to this discogs entry:

Supertramp – Crisis? What Crisis? (1975, Vinyl)

but with the labels as shown above, and which appear to conform to this discogs entry (which must be first because of the poster offer):

Supertramp – Crisis? What Crisis? (1975, Vinyl)

There is an entry on discogs with labels like mine, but does not show the inner sleeve.

Mine is blank.

IMMusicRulz and beatleswho like this.
  3. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

[​IMG]
    just happened to be spinning this...

IMMusicRulz and beatleswho like this.
  4. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

But the shirt is different ;-)

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  5. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I’ve been trying to find one of those for years...

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I like this album very much. Like every song on it. Bought the CD when it came out.

It's not a Classic, but it's a very good LP.

4/5

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    IMMusicRulz likes this.
  7. MetalGuruMessiah

MetalGuruMessiah Forum Resident

It's often my choice for my favorite Supertramp album. Favorite song is Just a Normal Day.....love the contrast/dynamic with Roger and Rick alternating vocals.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  8. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

found that and breakfast same day about 5 years ago...

moomaloo and IMMusicRulz like this.
  9. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

that’s the one I’d like to find but it’s super expensive and I never buy anything under NM for classic rock albums, unlike jazz records these were played to death...

is there a verdict on the 2 Japanese pressings...?

great record, I have the cd but need a vinyl copy, I’m on the hunt!!!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  10. stevef

stevef Senior Member

A friend had a copy of Crisis! What Crisis? back in the mid-70's, and he always raved about it. I never thought too highly about his "musical" judgement haha... but I guess I was wrong. Not about him but Supertramp. Once I eventually discovered Crime Of The Century, I went back and picked up all their albums. Love them now. CWC is a solid album and my favorite track lately is "Sister Moonshine". I have the MFSL discs of COTC and BIA, and some of the original AM+ CDs. Never picked up the remasters as this AM+ discs sound really good. Here is hoping some audiophile versions are eventually released with a surround mix. Have a few really good Roger Hodgson CDs too.

Johnny Vinyl and IMMusicRulz like this.
  11. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I had a co-worker in the 90s who LOVED this album, so I finally picked up a copy of it based on her enthusiasm. I'm sorry I waited as long as I did! I'd gotten copies of Breakfast in 79, Words in 83, Crime and Quietest Moments in 89.... Crisis is wonderful. Sister Moonshine and The Meaning are probably my favorite cuts.

Johnny Vinyl and IMMusicRulz like this.
  12. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Probably going with a monarch pressing, NM, 20 bucks, worth a shot...

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  13. Fred1958uk

Fred1958uk Forum Resident

You are completely spot on with these three. I have Soapbox opera on 1!

John54 and IMMusicRulz like this.
  14. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I have always wondered just how much of Crisis was written in the same sessions as Crime. When they played Crime live in early 75 they interspersed the two sides of the album with four from the then unreleased Crisis ( as evidenced by the Crime deluxe bonus live disc) and I did not know if these were "hot off the presses" or if they were unused songs from earlier. For a time I thought of Crisis as the slightly less loved younger sibling of Crime but it stands up well as its own album.

Boognish and IMMusicRulz like this.
  15. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Timely thread because I just listened to this LP for the first time in years, listened to side 1.
    What a great album side, it's killer.
    This has always been my favorite Supertramp album. So many great songs.

What I really would like to know is how the A&M Canadian Audiophile pressing stacks up with an early UK.
    I have a Japanese copy and the Canadian and there is no comparison.
    I started with the Japanese LP today and it is very bright to the point where you can't crank it. When I say bright I mean it, I was using my Unison S6 EL-34 based tube amp and it sounded bright, and that is hard to do.
    The Canadian Audiophile is much better, a nice top end but with a little mid-bass bloat. It is very easy to listen to and satisfying.

I'd like to try a UK at some point and was wondering if anyone can compare it with the Canadian.

jamesc and Boognish like this.
  16. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

You can see my post above, the Japanese copy I have is stupid bright.

17. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

2nd favourite supertramp album after 'crime ...' for sure. i have an old canadian VG+ LP i picked up used years ago .... still sounds fab !

18. Ziggy72

Ziggy72 Active Member

I have a UK pressing of this, A5/B5 and on "A Soapbox Opera" there is what appears to be a very distinct tape drop out at the line "Will they listen when it's time to go". I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and whether it's on other pressings. I'd love to get a UK pressing without it if possible.

19. Milk and kisses

Milk and kisses Forum Resident

My introduction to supertramp was Autobiography of...
    Interesting but there were no tracks off crisis on that album. Many years later i found a 2nd hand vinyl copy, sounds great, I think it's a great album, I think their 2nd best after crime for me

Boognish likes this.
  20. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I had it on recently in the record store where I work, young guy came up to me and told me how underrated this album was. Even the younger Supertramp fans have inherited the trope that Crisis What Crisis fell between the cracks. That said, it may be a regional thing... But we certainly get this record in a lot. I expect it was a sleeper hit of sorts, perhaps it sold well after Breakfast in America, Paris etc. had burst open the door for the songs on this album. Another Man's Woman also became a live monster. Just a Normal Day is heartbreaking, but on this album the gel is magnetic between Davies and Hodgson, still. All songs hold up very well against each other. I suppose the only one I could do without would be Poor Boy. But the clarinet is mastered very well on that track. Lol.

Boognish likes this.
  21. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

I have to agree with your friends. Sure, its a pretty good record, but hardly near COTC or EITQM.

22. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

“Sister Moonshine” is one of my favorite Supertramp songs.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.