Supertramp's Even in the Quietest Moments - why no audiophile reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dart56, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Dart56

Dart56 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Curious if anyone knows the reason why this album gets skipped over for audiophile reissues? Are there issues with the master tapes that would make it not feasible to do one?

The original vinyl sounds really nice, but from what I've been reading on the forum, it seems like the existing selection of digital reissues didn't quite capture that sound.

I would love to have an MFSL SACD of this album like they did with Breakfast in America.

formu_la, Espen R, JDeanB and 8 others like this.
  2. Greg Vickers

Greg Vickers Forum Resident

I second that!

I think we need proper remasters and repressings of all the Hodgson-era albums. I was disappointed we didn't get a proper vinyl box for the 40th of Breakfast In America.

Bring on the reissues. As long as they don't butcher it like they did with the 2014 reissue of Crime Of The Century. That thing is unlistenable.

Porkpie and Dart56 like this.
  3. I would add the same for Crisis, What Crisis although Even In The Quietest Moments is my preference of the two. Interesting to note that all posters so far are Canadian. Lol. I think Supertramap was much more popular here before they became superstars.
    I have all The A&M Audiophile 1/2 speed Japan vinyl reissues from the 80's for all these but agree the originals sound good.

4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Here’s another Canadian chiming in for a reissue by Mofi or AP.

Until then, my dbx vinyl of this one will do…and it’s really, really good!

slowhand1964, MOON and Dart56 like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling we pound the earth like drums

It exists. The old West Germany for US mastering.
    Nice EQ, natural bass.

Tim 2, g.z., JDeanB and 7 others like this.
  6. mfcmad

mfcmad Touch and Go

I'm happy with the MFSL version. Sounds wonderful.

7. Greg Vickers

Greg Vickers Forum Resident

I gather Supertramp were much more popular in Canada and France before Breakfast In America became the global hit that it was.

Crisis? What Crisis? is my favourite Supertramp album. I soooooo wish they would do a remaster re-release.

Macman likes this.
  8. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I have that one. Also all of the Canadian/Japanese audiophile vinyl series except for ‘Paris’. Still on the lookout for one of those…

9. Dart56

According to the Charts section on Wikipedia this album went Platinum in Canada, only Gold in the US and Silver in the UK. So it does seem that it was proportionally more popular in Canada at the time. I never would have guessed that was the case. Go figure!

10. Dart56

Interesting, I have never come across one of those. Looks like there's only one copy for sale on Discogs, $513CAD plus shipping from Bulgaria...yikes! Would be good to get a modern reissue that's more readily available, hopefully with a good digital version too. Did you manage to get a copy before they became so expensive?

11. alanhed

alanhed Forum Resident

I think my original LP and old 80’s CD sound Excellent!

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No, that doesn't exist.

mfcmad and Jack_Straw like this.
  13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My favorite Supertramp album.

Carlox, g.z., JDeanB and 4 others like this.
  14. Snow1

Snow1 Forum Resident

It really is a wonderful album!

Although Crime is my overall favourite album of theirs, Even In The Quietest Moments has their best 2 tracks (IMHO) Fool's Overture and the title track. The former is an imaginative, superbly built epic and the gorgeous, emotive title track is my favourite song of the band - in my top 30 songs by any artist.

yohalfprice, Northwind, Gugaz and 2 others like this.
  15. Found a copy last year while on vacation for $65.00. Well worth the money.

Simon A likes this.
  16. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident

Can you provide the UPC for that one please, or a link to the discogs? this is my favorite Supertramp album, with Crisis, What Crisis a close second.

c-eling likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

18. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Yeah, that's the AM+ version (at least mine is).

g.z., c-eling and abzach like this.
  19. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I've always wondered that as well.

20. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Is it a possibility that the tapes were destroyed in the Universal Studio's fire?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2024
  21. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

The AM + is perfect nothing to change.

PH416156, abzach and Larry B like this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling we pound the earth like drums

Same UPC I believe. I don't have the US mastering so I can't give a comparison, but the peaks are different.
    It's a good possibility the US PDO silver might contain that same mastering as they liked to share mastering's within the company.
    https://www.discogs.com/release/11967029-Supertramp-Even-In-The-Quietest-Moments

Larry B likes this.
  23. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Unlikely, since most A&M tapes were stored at Polygram in New Jersey. It appears that Polygram holdings eventually got moved to Iron Mountain.

24. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Supertramp is listed in the news articles.