Surprising Bargain Pickups

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by AnalogJ, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

I was at a Bullmoose today. I often will wander into one if I'm nearby a location. Same with Newbury Comics.

I head to the sale bins.

I was surprised with what I was able to pick up, all new, sealed.

Sonny Clark Trio - The 1960 Time Sessions. 2LP set. This was, I believe, a previous RSD release. I got this at 25% off $33.97

Cassandra Wilson/Billie Holiday - You Go To My Head. This was a 10" RSD promo for, at the time, an upcoming BH tribute album. Was $15.97, but I paid $2.97 for a new copy.

Lalo Schifrin - My Life In Movies. 2LP set. This is the composer for, among other things, Mission Impossible. I got this for 75% off $27.97.

Janis Ian - Breaking Silence. Analogue Productions 33 1/3rpm copy, sealed, pressed at QRP. The 33 was mastered by Doug Sax and has been around in the AP catalog for decades. The more recent 45rpm of this title was mastered by Kevin Gray and supposed to be considerably better than the 33. Still, the 33 has long been considered a demo quality record. I got this today for 75% off $37.97.

Nice loot for about $46 total.

George P and PhantomStranger like this.
  2. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Nice haul, AnalogJ.

Of course you have to live near or travel to a place that has a store like Bullmoose or Newbury Comics. There are a couple good ones in the Sacramento area but nothing like those two places!

AnalogJ likes this.
  3. Billchi_11

Billchi_11 What would DBoon do?

My bargain bin finds today @ Reckless Records in Chicago

Robyn Hitchcock Black Snake Diamond Role
    Cat Power The Greatest
    Paul Weller Wild Wood
    Macca Chaos and Creation
    RedRed Meat Jimmy Wine
    Les Savy Fav Inches
    Boo Radleys C'mon Kids

All for $1.99 or $0.99

MitchLT, drift, AnalogJ and 1 other person like this.
  4. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show

Recently got Beatles Rubber Soul in Mono- the loud cut that was withdrawn.

Not in great condition, but no skips.

Was only €3, not sure why it was so cheap.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. kpever

kpever Forum Resident

Got a Dylan Unplugged from the dollar bin today. Missing Record 2, but still a NM cover and Record 1.

MitchLT likes this.
  6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Spooky Tooth”s Ceremony (remaster) at HMV for £2.99. Not a great album but an interesting curio.

Gumboo likes this.
  7. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Got a used but still in great condition cd of Achtung Baby in a That's Entertainment closing down sale for £0.20!

MitchLT likes this.
  8. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Years ago at a flea market, a seller tried to charge me $8 for a trashed Ummagumma missing the live disc because "it's Pink Floyd". Shockingly, that same seller sold me a Quadrophenia, with only one noticeable pop on side four, complete with photo book, for $2. I guess the Who weren't in his "these are the vinyls that are worth a lot" article he was checking.

Used to go to a record store which mainly dealt in CDs. Their LP stock was small and consisted of roached Elvis and Barbra Streisand LPs and/or a few boxes of new LPs. Anyway, their CD prices were through the roof. They seemed to think the MSRP was the minimum amount to mark something at. $4 for a one-track promo CD single? $24 for a Motley Crue CD in a disintegrating longbox? $19 for a digi-sleeve CD which was held in one of those awful anti-theft foot-long plastic things, completely deforming the sleeve (and possibly the disc)? Yet I got two unbelievable deals there: a Waterboys semi-official/semi-bootleg live album, which I had paid $40 for a copy with a disc so scuffed the last track wouldn't play properly, and a sealed Elvis Costello Brutal Youth Rhino 2CD, both for $25. I have to guess they bought out the unsold stock of a store that went under. Those are absurdly rare discs and I got factory sealed ones for a fraction of what I had previously paid for used copies online.

A much better store had the two-track Wish You Were Here CD behind the counter. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it was a huge deal - I think it was $55 or $60. They seemed to know it was sought-after, yet surprisingly they didn't look to see that all copies available for sale were listed at $300. I bought it, listened to it, realized that I wasn't very much of an audiophile, and sold it to someone on here who appreciated it more for about $100. A win-win!

MitchLT likes this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959 Thread Starter

So the following may or may not be a bargain - we shall see/hear:

I found an original mono LP of Simon & Garfunkel's Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme at an antique shop for $5. The corner of the cover looked like it had been chewed. The LP had mold all over it as well as what looks like lots of surface scratches. On the other hand, there was still plenty of surface sheen, few spindle marks, and when the LP was held at an angle, few of those scratches were visible. I have enzymatic LP cleaner. If this LP cleans up well, the $5 will have been very well spent. If not, 5 bucks wasted. We'll see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.