DCC Archive surrealistic pillow

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ultron9, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues... Thread Starter

Just purchased a 1969 stereo second pressing copy of "surrealistic Pillow."
    This sounds better than any Cd version I've Heard so far. While the recording lacks true low end, it is far better than recent versions might lead one to believe.

Any thoughts or comparisons?

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

My thought: a "bad" mono version is still better than a "good" stereo version.

3. Mart

Mart New Member

Care to expound? This sounds damn peculiar. Did you perhaps mean "a good mono version is still better than a bad stereo version"? Otherwise you may be called a single speaker snob. :D

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I think Patrick means that the MONO mix of "Pillow" is much better than the STEREO mix. Less funky tunnel echo and all.

So, a scratched up mono LP is better to play than a clean stereo LP.

5. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Yeah, it's true that a lot of the early airplane stuff sounds pretty bad, but as far as Surrealistic Pillow in stereo is concerned, you haven't heard a good one until you've heard the DCC vinyl.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Yeah, most people are used to the sound of the wacky tunnel STEREO sound. Then when you hear the mono a few times, you realize they were playing really tight, driving rock and roll, not chamber music. I agree with the Mono comments. One could spend his whole life looking for a decent copy in mono. Seems like the whole world treated records like they were free...like love...

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have a mono copy of "Surrealistic Pillow" (VG/lots of up Freq. crackle) and I think the music is more realistic than the stereo version. It sounds more like a band playing rather than a studio production (like 'Rubber Soul' stereo/mono differences). I've always been wondering what the DCC version sounds like. That must have been a tough project for Steve to get something amazing out of that reverb-explosion mix. Can anyone descibe what it sounds like?

Todd

8. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Steve hit the nail on the head! Exactly what I meant. :D

9. Sckott

Todd did too with Rubber Soul in Mono. Hearing "Drive My Car" in mono without screwy echo is great. Another moment where yo have to "detox" yourself from what you've been used to. Great, solid sound. Shows off just how tight it really was!

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I have a VG+ version of the original LP. It blows away all the recent versions. If someone (Sckott??) wants a straight burn with no indexing I'll send it out. Then they can do their magic with it.

Joe

11. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Sorry, an original MONO copy of "Surrealistic Pillow".

Joe

12. Sckott

You can if you want to, Joe. Non indexed is NP.

-Sckott [​IMG]

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Sckott ]

13. Joe,

How can I get a copy of Pillow in mono? I would love to compare it to my stereo LP.

John

14. Ultron9,

I have a stereo LP of Pillow that I bought in the 60's. How do I know if it is a first or second pressing?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Echo?

I do like the way they rode the piano in the mono mix, but I don't remember big differences in echo. And also, while the remix is fairly flat (in terms of the piano), the original stereo mix is closer to the mono. When I put in the original stereo mix recently, I was like "wow, I guess that's *not* just in the mono mix".

16. Sckott

No, That's true. It's easy to hear it in "Drive My Car" from the vocals, even from a clock radio!

What most people may have known is the version that's on the EMI Cds now.

17. Unknown

Unknown Guest

I have an excellent mono lp copy, the gold disc, and Steve's stereo version. My verdict? the mono, hands down.

18. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Joe,
    Fire one up for me and I'll declick it manualy (that's the only noise reduction I use)and send you back a copy.
    Larry

19. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues... Thread Starter

Orig. 1967 release has black label with silver lettering. 1969 version has orange label.

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: ULTRON9 ]

20. Mart

Mart New Member

It's too bad that the monaural standard CDs couldn't encode it so it would convert the duplicate 44.1kHz channels to a single 88.2kHz. Hmmm ... I wonder if it would do too much harm if one did it anyways to blend more detail in the room with one channel lagging the other by 11 micro-seconds. It would make for an interesting experiment, but I'm sure the results must be published somewhere in the acoustic journals.

21. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

I think that would be exactly equivalent to moving one speaker back however far sound travels in that time. Not really a big improvement.

-j

22. Mart

Mart New Member

This 4mm eccentric distance gives me hope. With that little distance, there may be more good than harm as most imaging cues won't be too skewed except for those frequencies that would probably benefit from the additional data mixing won't improve. Or, so does my concepts lead me to believe.

23. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

The point is, there is no additional data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.