Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HelpfulDad

HelpfulDad Forum Resident

I also really liked Zappa Overnight Sensation 4.0

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I was terribly disappointed when that got cancelled

Audiowannabee and Galactus2 like this.
  3. mark winstanley

His catalog is brilliant. The 5.1's are very good without being the top of the line (a generalisation, for the most part)

Juggsnelson, albertop and zobalob like this.
  4. mark winstanley

I don't have any vinyl quad. I await the two Zappa albums and the five or six Elvis albums with enthusiasm

5. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

The surround mix of this album is INCREDIBLE !!! One of the best I have ever heard in my life. Essential.

riskylogic and mark winstanley like this.
  6. NorthSide

NorthSide Well-Known Member

Interesting that there's going to be a release of the Stones with a 5.1 Blu-Ray. I'll wait for a stand alone cause the number of decent tracks isn't worth the $100+ price point.

7. mark winstanley

At this stage, most of these sets don't seem to get a standalone blurays .... they seem to generally be taking advantage of the 5.1 album buyers, knowing full well that we want them, and making us pay for it .....

8. NorthSide

NorthSide Well-Known Member

"Some Girls" getting the 5.1 treatment would be the best choice for higher sales IMO.

9. mark winstanley

I would have picked many albums before Goats Head, although I think it is an excellent album.
    They have done super deluxe editions of
    Let it bleed
    Sticky fingers
    Exile on Main St.
    One would assume if logic was involved, they would have been mixed for 5.1....
    I kind of feel the Stones camp has seen the Beatles SDE success and want to give it a go

10. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

That is exactly what I thought - they have seen the success of the Beatles' big deluxe editions, and didn't want to miss the boat.

No one has ever accused Jagger and company of not finding new ways of making a buck. They may be late to the banquet, but it's not a beggar's banquet in their case. ;)

mark winstanley and zobalob like this.
  11. HelpfulDad

Mine is a DVDA recording of a reel to reel tape and it’s brilliant.

I’ve been fortunate to come across a bunch of these: BOTW, Apostrophe, Rate Earth/Get Ready, Jackson5 Hits, gordon lightfoot, 3 America albums, 3 Eagles albums, Doobies to name a few. BOTW and Overnight Sensation being the best. Dinah-moe-hum in surround!

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

Cool. I hope we get some released.

Let's stick with the legal stuff for now though :)

13. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I'm inclined to agree - I didn't give it a 4 for surround, but I thought about it.

14. HelpfulDad

Im not selling. The only unreleased is BOTW.
    not sure about that crack regarding “legal stuff”? It’s as if you’re implying you have sone knowledge that the source of these recordings is somehow illegal. How, exactly, do you know about me and how I am fortunate enough to have them?

15. mark winstanley

I am not making a judgement call on you, or how you came about them. I'm happy for you to have them.
    The forum rules say we aren't supposed to discuss releases etc that aren't official.
    Had I read them properly prior, I wouldn't have done the run down on Meddle, even though I have the set it was hidden on ....

zobalob likes this.
  16. mark winstanley

In an attempt to clear this issue.

I am not impugning @HelpfulDad 's character. Nor am I suggesting he is, or has done anything illegal.

Last week I read the forum Rules, as Mr Hoffman had placed them up on a "sticky" thread for us to read/revisit.
    I am trying to follow the rules, as many as there are, and it was stated in the rules, that we are not to discuss, advertise etc non official releases. I guess Meddle is a somewhat shady one, because it was actually released ....

But anyway - my posts were not any kind of attempt to soil @HelpfulDad 's character, and I hope this will be an end to the matter.

Cheers
    Mark

Beefalo, SteelyNJ, Galactus2 and 4 others like this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It all started in 2003, when my son bought the version of this that has a second CD with more, but rarer tracks.
    Then this DVD-A, then the Chris Bellman vinyl cut. Love them all for their various charms.
    Another Elliot Scheiner surround mix stunner.

R.E.M. - In Time: The Best Of R.E.M. 1988-2003

[​IMG]

18. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Where We Stood is perhaps the greatest value ever released in the relatively short history of surround music.

fredblue, McWolfred, JonMcK and 2 others like this.
  19. riskylogic

Yep - I'm doing the concert this weekend. It has a great surround mix too.

weekendtoy and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Jagger69

Jagger69 Forum Resident

My choices for next week :

The Doors - The Soft Parade
    David Bowie - Reality
    George Harrison - Live In Japan
    Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won

21. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

I have the DVD-A, and I'm giving it a 9 out of 10. The mix is superb, especially for something released in 2004. Yes, it's bright, but put away those wave forms and marvel at a great album released in three formats (DVD-A, SACD, & Blu ray) where we can't even come to a consensus as to which is the best. I used to think there was too much filler on this LP when I was growing up, but it all sounds pretty good to me now. Way more consistent than I thought for a double album from a guy who cranked out multiple records a year (this wasn't even his only release in 1973). Elton rules.

Beyond Salvation, Terry, Myke and 7 others like this.
  22. riskylogic

Juggsnelson and mark winstanley like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Juggsnelson likes this.
  24. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

25. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

The two Birdsong At Morning discs are outstanding, I mean really really good! Good both for the surround mix and the music.

The second album Signs and Wonders comes with full video for each song.

I really can't recommend these enough. The pending Alan Williams (solo) release is an instant buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.