Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_Surround

J_Surround Forum Resident

There's a guitar part in the center channel on this track that was either mixed way down or left completely inaudible on the original stereo mix. Interesting addition by Scheiner.

Tim Weidner did the 2002 5.1 mix. He's done several other 5.1's including Yes' Magnification and Seal's Best 1991–2004. I'm not a fan of the 2002 mix personally--it's oversaturated with reverb, mastered louder, and generally not as adventurous as the 2015 SW mix. That being said, I do give it one point over the new mix: "Five Per Cent For Nothing" is completely insane with the instruments flying all around the room, while SW's version is more of a static 'four-corner' presentation with the instruments pegged into different speakers.

Plan9, Åke Bergvall, jamesc and 2 others like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Cheers mate.

J_Surround likes this.
  3. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Quadrophenia today. The Blu-ray set with the original mix and master and new Dolby and dts in glorious 5.1

4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Great review. It has been awhile since I have listened to this although it was one of my first 5.1 discs and one of my first REM albums I got into as a whole. I seem to remember King of Birds being the standout surround sound track. Unlike some of the tracks you mentioned being straight forward, KOB has more layers and is borderline demo that will amaze most who care about this stuff.

J_D__, jamesc, Juggsnelson and 3 others like this.
  5. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

Happy birthday when it comes young man (I'm 60 in December!!!) . I may not contribute but I always read.
    BTW did you know there's a new Devin Townsend release - Order Of Magnitude - Empath Live Volume 1 (2CD+Blu-Ray+DVD) - had a listen on Tidal and I'm tempted apart from the Volume 1 bit. Might wait for Volume 2 1st and see if there's a Super Deluxe type thing. Decisions, decisions!!

mark winstanley likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

Cheers mate.
    I'm hoping the Devin bluray arrives this week :)

gad999 likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

My understanding was that the original masters of Going for the One have been lost, is this still the case? 90125 is a great album. In fact, in context, it is perhaps Yes's most progressive album. The way I look at it, the biggest album-to-album jump was when they put out 90125 after Tomato. The didn't dwell too long in this particular kind of sound, either. Of course, they had the audacity to become commercially popular for a time, but again - in context that's really not so different from their time in the sun with the likes of Fragile and The Yes Album, is it?

Was Rabin the biggest influence on the band as a new-joiner? People have come and gone, but I'm not sure any of them has the impact Rabin did. I remember I was a little gutted at the time, because I've always loved Rabin's first three solo albums, especially Wolf. Then we got 90125, and although I love that album, I was always into Yes anyway. I knew Wolf wasn't going to get a follow up in some time.....

8. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

Happy birthday!

Thank you so much for all of the work you’ve done, great reviews! I’m setting up a surround / home theater system and I find your thread very helpful as I begin to acquire multi-channel music.

Cheers!

9. mark winstanley

Cheers mate.
    Have fun with the music. That's what matters :)

ds58 likes this.
  10. Pauljw

Pauljw Forum Resident

Hi Mark. Is this the one in your review?

https://www.amazon.com/Fragile-Expa...rds=yes+fragile&qid=1603718038&s=music&sr=1-4

11. mark winstanley

12. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I had a couple of preorders I made in early August at Importcds that got canceled because the bank changed my card number and they stopped taking the old # in September. Since they wouldn't let me sub in a new number, I reordered in early September. But it seems that kept out pf the money for both Ultravox and Tears for Fears. I don't care that much about Seeds of Love - it's my fourth favorite TFF album at best, and I already have a Wilson mix of a better album of theirs. But I'm bummed about Vienna. Hopefully they'll make more or release it as a stand alone bluray. But, at least I got .

Santana - Santana. I really don't care about the box sets. I'd much rather drop $50 for a mix for an album that I already know is good. I thought this album was fantastic when I was 15 and I still do. Of course the mix could be disappointing, but it isn't. Plenty of percussion to go around and all four speakers get a chance to feature Carlos' guitar (3/3).

I've got my preorder for Abraxas in with Importcds. I will be seriously bummed if they don't get one for me. The speculation on QQ is that all six Santana studio quads will get the Japanese 7" treatment. If so, I will get them all even if I have to order from cdjapan. Anyway, the other thing I got even though it seems to be in short supply was the bluray edition of

Hackett, Steve – Selling England By The Pound & Spectral Mornings: Live at Hammersmith It's a concert video so I reviewed it on the other thread, but it's got a great surround mix too. If I were reviewing it here, it would be a 3/3 too.

13. mark winstanley

I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully in the next few days it will get here

14. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

:righton:

15. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

:righton::righton::righton:

" I am still disappointed that Tear For Fears The Hurting didn't get a 5.1, and Howard Jones Human's Lib didn't get a 5.1"

Both excellent albums !!!

Jagger69 and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Abraxas

[​IMG]
    Album cover from a painting by Mati Klarwein
    Studio album by
    Santana
    Released
    September 23, 1970
    Recorded April 17–May 2, 1970
    Studio Wally Heider Studios
    (San Francisco, California)
    Pacific Recording Studios
    (San Mateo, California)
    Genre Latin rock Chicano rock jazz fusion psychedelic rock blues rock
    Length 37:10
    Label Columbia
    Producer Fred Catero, Carlos Santana

-------------------------------------------------

Product Details
    Catalog No. SICP-10135
    JAN/ISBN 4547366463972
    Product Type SACD Hybrid
    Number of Discs 1
    Super Audio CD (SACD) disc is not compatible with regular CD player or drive. This disc format is compatible only with SACD player.

SACD Hybrid disc has a layer that is playable on regular CD players. Such titles are indicated as "Product Type SACD Hybrid" in Product Details. And in this case, it only plays regular CD audio quality. If you want SACD audio quality, you need SACD players.

Description
    Japanese original release. Santana's "Abraxas" becomes available as SA-CD Multi Hybrid edition for the first time in the world. The SACD layer uses a DSD master converted from the original "Quadraphonic (4ch)" master. The CD layer uses 2ch mix master from SACD (latest remastering). Features a 7-inch mini LP cover artwork faithfully replicating the quadraphonic LP (released in Japan) design. Includes cover artwork(s) (Japanese edition single) and a poster replica.

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So far we have looked at Santana (the debut album), Lotus, both of which come from this Cd Japan reissue series, Carlos Santana and Buddy Miles Live, and Alice Coltrane and Carlos Santana Illuminations, both of which have been reissued via the Dutton Vocalion series.

We did also look at the Santana Abraxas Dts disc, which we looked at a while ago and while the mix was pretty good, the sound was really questionable, and I think for the most part it suffered from lack of definition and just a rather disappointing overall sound that made the disc a little less than one would hope for.

So far the CD Japan series has had excellent sound and even where the mix may not be the most astonishing immersion, the sound more than made up for it, with their clarity and just really nice audio. So here today I am really hoping that this disc has a sound that can do this album justice in the surround format.

This disc is actually fairly new, and although the opening special with a free bonus postcard has sold out, the album is still very much available.
    Cd Japan has it for $43 Abraxas SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition [Limited Edition] [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] Santana SACD

I'm not sure whether it is available anywhere else, but I have never had any problems dealing with CD Japan at all.

The original Quad mix was supervised by Al Lawrence and engineered by Larry Keyes.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 Singing Winds, Crying Beasts Written-By – Michael Carabello 4:50
    2 Black Magic Woman / Gypsy Queen Written-By – Gabor Szabo, Peter Green (2) 5:19
    3 Oye Coma Va Written-By – Tito Puente 4:19
    4 Incident At Neshabur Written-By – Alberto Gianquinto, Carlos Santana 4:58
    5 Se A Cabo Written By – José "Chepito" Areas 2:51
    6 Mother's Daughter Written-By – Gregg Rolie 4:27
    7 Samba Pa Ti Written-By – Carlos Santana 4:47
    8 Hope You're Feeling Better Written-By – Gregg Rolie 4:13
    9 El Nicoya Written-By – José "Chepito" Areas 1:32

Quad mix Larry Keyes
    Mastered by Mitsuyasu Abe

So lets have a listen and see what we have here, in comparison to the Dts disc.

Singing Winds, Crying Beasts
    We open with what sound like a strum of the piano strings, and then on the right side, the lower end of the piano.
    We get various tinkling percussion instruments across the back.
    Guitar front left.
    Cymbals across the back.
    Congas come in the right rear.
    The electric piano comes in just right of front right.
    Cymbals swells come in either side rears.
    Gtr comes in on the left side, and sort of dials with another guitar up front.
    This is a lot more clear.
    More percussion comes in left side towards the rear.
    The atmospheric jam-like opening sounds excellent and we have a nice immersive mix that works really well.

Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen
    We get bass notes front left, and the keyboard riff rolls from the right side, around the back, to the left side. It is very effective.
    Percussion front left.
    The more percussion either side rears.
    The organ seems to be across the middle.
    The opening lead guitar comes in front right.
    Then we have a drum, trap set left rear. A percussion set right rear balances it out nicely.
    Electric piano is across the front with a little in the left side.

For the record the display says this is 5.0, but there doesn't appear to be anything in the centre speaker.

The guitar in the final melody passage rolls around the soundfield, and then we get this cool side to side effect going on with it.
    Then when it moves into the lead section this spacey side to side effect continues, giving it a suitably psychedelic feel.
    Again the sound here is excellent, and we're getting nice full frequency sound, that is clear, all around us.
    Nice mix, great sound.

Oye Come Va
    Organ left side.
    Percussion all around us.
    Such a heavily percussive track, and the surround field is really showing that out.
    Carlos is in the left rear.
    The organ break is across the back, and up front.
    Rhythm guitar comes in front right, and right rear.
    Lead organ is sort of between front and left side.
    Whereas, on the dts disc some of this stuff sounded out of balance, this has a really nice encompassing clarity and this has a full and entertaining mix.
    Excellent.

Incident at Neshabur
    Percussion and piano up front.
    Percussion and sfx seem to be all around us in the dramatic opening swell.
    Percussion is all around us.
    The piano is up front, and the organ is across the middle
    Guitar tracks seem to come in from the front and right side.
    Organ now on the left side.
    Guitar comes in right rear, and left rear, and right front.
    We have a couple of things going on here.... I think there is an effect on the right, giving a double signal, but also a doubled guitar in the left rear.
    Then a rhythm guitar comes in right rear, and a piano runs across the front.
    We move back to the triple channel lead.
    Really nice and effective mix, very involving and immersive. Excellent.

Se A Cabo
    Percussion covers an arc from left side, across front, to the right side.
    Organ right rear.
    Rhythm guitar left side.
    Lead guitar right front.
    We get a nice percussion breakdown, and then the rhythm guitar comes in left rear. Piano left front, lead guitar right front, organ right rear, swells across back.

Mother's Daughter
    Organ right rear.
    Bass guitar right rear.
    Lead guitar right side.
    Other lead guitar front left.
    Again we get that percussion all around us.
    The vocals are all up front.
    Another really good mix, and again we have a clarity and immersion that the dts disc can't compete with.
    A lead guitar comes in, in the right side towards the rear, another left rear.
    Again very effective.

Samba Pa Ti
    Lead guitar up front.
    Percussion either side.
    Rhythm guitar left rear.
    Another lead guitar comes in front left.
    Organ right rear.
    Really nice mellow groove, and a really nice mellow immersion to match.
    A chalk and cheese comparison to the dts disc, to my ears.

Hope You're Feeling Better
    Organ left side.
    Drums come in right rear, percussion balances it in the right side.
    Guitar right rear. Bass nicely holding us up front.
    Lead guitar sort of in the middle of the room but from front right.
    Sharp hand vlap in front of front with reverb to rears. Organ left side.
    This version really brings this album to life.

El Nicoya
    Percussion all across the front, and in the sides.
    Vocals right side.
    Percussion encompasses us.

This is a much more pleasurable listen than the dts disc.
    Although the mix may well be the same, the album sounds completely different.
    This version doesn't sound out of balance, and there is nothing here that makes me question the quality of the album, or the sound.
    We have a full field mix, that uses all sorts of nice little mixing nuances to enhance the listening experience and it comes across as a wholly professional affair.
    The dts disc made it sound as if it was all a little amateur, but any notions of that go out the window when listening to this disc.
    I think I can highly recommend this to the Santana fan, and the surround fan.
    The album itself is a classic, nicely balancing out the more commercial sections, with the more experimental sections. We get a full taste of Latino blues rock, in high quality sound, with a really nice surround mix to boot.
    I feel I can highly recommend this, as a very good-excellent seventies quad mix, with very good sound quality.

17. riskylogic

One of a Kind

[​IMG]

Studio album by Bruford
    Released June 1979
    Recorded January & February 1979
    Studio Trident Studios, London
    Genre Jazz fusion
    Length 46:28
    Label EG/Polydor
    Producer Bill Bruford

One of a Kind is the second solo album by the drummer Bill Bruford, and the first proper album by his band Bruford. It was released in 1979 and is a collection of instrumentals in a style that can loosely be defined as jazz fusion. The group features guitarist Allan Holdsworth, bassist Jeff Berlin and keyboardist Dave Stewart. Two of the tracks ("Forever Until Sunday" and "The Sahara of Snow") were originally performed live in 1978 by Bruford's previous band U.K., but never recorded by them as Bruford kept the pieces for himself when he exited the band. Former U.K. associate Eddie Jobson co-wrote "The Sahara of Snow" and reprises his violin part on "Forever Until Sunday". Stewart's "Hell's Bells" utilizes a fragment penned by his former National Health colleague Alan Gowen (the 3-chord pattern underlying the guitar solo). Holdsworth's "The Abingdon Chasp" is the only piece he wrote for Bruford.

Personnel
    Bruford
    Allan Holdsworth – electric guitar
    Dave Stewart – keyboards, synthesizers, electronics
    Jeff Berlin – bass guitar
    Bill Bruford – drums & percussions, Mock Turtle on "Fainting in Coils"

Guest Musicians
    Eddie Jobson – violin on "Forever Until Sunday"
    Anthea Norman Taylor - Alice on "Fainting in Coils"
    Sam Alder – narrator on "Fainting in Coils"

Track listing
    1. "Hell's Bells" (Dave Stewart, Alan Gowen) 3:32
    2. "One of a Kind, Pt. 1" (Bill Bruford) 2:20
    3. "One of a Kind, Pt. 2" (Bruford, Stewart) 4:00
    4. "Travels with Myself – And Someone Else" (Bruford) 6:10
    5. "Fainting in Coils" (Bruford) 6:33
    6. "Five G" (Jeff Berlin, Bruford, Stewart) 4:41
    7. "The Abingdon Chasp" (Allan Holdsworth) 4:50
    8. "Forever Until Sunday" (Bruford) 5:46
    9. "The Sahara of Snow, Pt. 1" (Bruford) 5:18
    10. "The Sahara of Snow, Pt. 2" (Bruford, Eddie Jobson) 3:23
    _______

The 5.1 mix was originally released as part of a pricey box set entitled Seems Like A Lifetime Ago in 2017. That’s what I have. But it was rereleased as a standalone in 2019 at a much more reasonable price. Burning Shed.

5.1 mix by Jakko Jakszyk
    I warmed up for this one by listening to Feels Good to Me again. That’s one of the last that I reviewed using my old system, and I feel like many of those need to be revisited. Especially the quads, but there weren’t that many of those. Anyway, I confirmed my previous impression that it’s a front heavy mix with some keyboards in the rear and Annette Peacock vocals in the center. Also, some occasional guitar in surround, and the cymbals show up in back sometimes too.

"Hell's Bells"
    Yes, this is the same sort of mix. One keyboard part in front, one in back. Some guitar in surround.

"One of a Kind, Pt. 1"
    Same deal, but seems like keyboards more in rear. The guitar is in surround again. The thing about this music is that almost everything is staccato. Holdworth’s guitar is the only instrument with some semblance of a sustained note, so that what Jakko uses for immersivity. Doesn’t really work, but then I tend to think immersiveness is overrated.

"One of a Kind, Pt. 2"
    Pretty everything in front, but keyboards in rear with a little cymbal reverb too. Percussion rear left towards the end.

"Travels with Myself – And Someone Else"
    Very little in back, some synth. Bass solo left front. Guitar opens up in surround after 4 minutes. Some keyboards in the back at the end, but this track might as well just be stereo.

"Fainting in Coils"
    There are no vocals on this album, but this track starts off with voices male left front, female right front, and male in the rear – which possibly makes this the best surround track. One keyboard part in the back plus a little percussion after that.

"Five G"
    Starts off with bass in surround, plus major keyboards in the rear. Drums and guitar in front.

"The Abingdon Chasp"
    Keyboards parts front and back, most everything else in front. Guitar takes a few turns in the rears too.

"Forever Until Sunday"
    Violin and most everything else in front – some synth in the rear.

"The Sahara of Snow, Pt. 1"
    Synth in surround – a soundscape of sorts that sort of seems out of place on this album. But it gives have to keyboards first in rear and then front too. Some of it sounds like harmonic percussion (i.e. a xylophone or a yangqin), but it’s keyboards. Everything else in front, but this is a nice surround track.

"The Sahara of Snow, Pt. 2"
    Percussion in the rear, keyboards left and guitar right both spilling into rears. Swirling synth at the end – another nice surround track.
    _____

Both of the first two Bruford albums are very good, but I wouldn’t call either of them a classic. The main difference between this album and Feels Good to Me is that the former got some mileage out of the center channel. It still has some significant keyboards in the rear on most of the songs, plus some guitar in surround. There are also a couple of tracks (“One of a Kind, part 2”, “Travels”, and “Forever”) here that don’t use the back speakers hardly at all. Sahara parts one and two sort of make up for it though, so it’s still a nice version to play on a surround system and even though it was when I bought it, it’s not expensive now. But, if I were to go for just one of the two in surround, it would be the first one. (2/2)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  18. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Thanks for the review.
    I found it at ImportCDs for $11.99 and TENOFF works as a discount code.
    Bruford One Of A Kind: Expanded & Remixed Edition [Import] With DVD, Expanded Version, Remastered, United Kingdom - Import on ImportCDs

How could I not order this at this price?
    Pre-Crimson post-Yes Bruford with Holdsworth & Berlin in surround.
    I have several Jakko surround mixes I appreciate.

There are dissenting opinions, savaged viciously in this review:
    Why Bruford's Classic One Of A Kind Album Disappoints On Surround Sound DVD

The QQ forum poll has only a sprinkling of votes, but they range from 2 - 9 out of 10, as wide a divergence as you'll ever see there.
    For eleven bucks brand new I'm happy to take a flyer and make up my own mind.
    Can always listen to the CD upmixed to DPLII or five-channel stereo. :cool:

19. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Listened to Frank Zappa - Halloween DVD Audio yesterday. It’s usually a tradition for me every Halloween to listen to that one.

mark winstanley and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  20. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

If you have a streaming service with the new Halloween 81, highly recommended, one of his best bands doing new material.

The 11/01/81 show will get another spin from me today in fake surround at concert volume.
    Frank's observational humor songs from 39 years ago seem apropos to the current chaos.

21. mark winstanley

Reference to the albums

Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic
    Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Alan Parsons Project - Tales Of Mystery and Imagination
    Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky
    Alan Parsons Project - Ammonia Avenue
    Alison Krauss and Union Station - New Favourite
    Allman Brothers Band - Idlewild South

Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East
    Allman Brother Band - Eat a Peach thanks @Galactus2
    Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here thanks @riskylogic
    Anathema - Weather Systems thanks @riskylogic
    Anathema - Distant Satellites thanks @riskylogic
    Anderson, Ian - Homo Erraticus
    Anderson, Ian - TAAB 2
    Argent - In Deep thanks @riskylogic

Ayreon - The Source thanks @riskylogic
    Ayreon - Transitus thanks @riskylogic

Band - Music From Big Pink ... I did this twice ... must occasionally sleep lol
    Barclay James Harvest - GoneTo Earth
    Bass Communion - Loss thanks @riskylogic
    Beach Boys - Sunflower
    Beach Boys - Surf's Up
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
    The Beatles - Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Beatles - Abbey Road
    The Beatles - Love

Be Bop Deluxe - Futurama
    Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish
    Beck, Jeff (group) - Rough and Ready
    Beck, Jeff (Group) - Orange
    Beck, Jeff - Blow By Blow
    Beck, Jeff - Wired
    Beethoven - 3rd Symphony Eroica
    Beethoven - 5th Concerto (Emporer) - Barenboim/Rubenstein
    Birdsong At Morning - A Slight Departure thanks @risky logic
    Bjork - Vespertine
    Bjork - Medulla
    Blackfield - IV thanks @riskylogic
    Blackfield - V thanks @riskylogic
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Blood Sweat and Tears - Blood Sweat And Tears
    Blood Sweat and Tears - Mirror Image/New City thanks @riskylogic
    Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
    Blue Oyster Cult - Agents Of Fortune
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    Bowie, David - Young Americans
    Bowie, David - Station To Station
    Bowie, David - Stage
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty
    Bruce- Jack - Shadows In The Air thanks @riskylogic
    Bruford - Feels Good To Me thanks @riskylogic
    Bruford, Bill - One Of A Kind thanks @riskylogic
    Buddy Miles Express - Booger Bear thanks @riskylogic

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink thanks @riskylogic
    Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings
    Church - Forget Yourself
    Clapton, Eric - Give Me Strength The 74/75 Recordings
    Clapton, Eric - Slowhand
    Clapton, Eric - Reptile
    Clapton, Eric - Back Home

Cobham, Billy - Spectrum
    Cobham, Billy - Spectrum (Quad) thanks @-dave--wave-
    Coltrane, Alice/Santana, Carlos - Illuminations
    Crosby, David - If Only I Could Remember My Name
    Crowded House

Davis, Miles - Sketches Of Spain
    Davis, Miles - In A Silent Way
    Davis, Miles - Bitches Brew
    Davis, Miles - Live Evil
    Davis, Miles - Tutu
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Deep Purple - Stormbringer
    Dekker, Desmond - Anthology thanks @riskylogic
    Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
    Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
    Depeche Mode - Violator
    Depeche Mode - Delta Machine
    Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other assorted love songs
    Derringer, Rick - All American Boy and Spring Fever thanks @riskylogic
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
    Djabe - The Magic Stag thanks @riskylogic
    Donovan - Fairytale
    Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street quadio
    Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
    Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits quadio
    Doors - Strange Days
    Doors - Waiting For The Sun
    Doors - The Soft Parade
    Doors - LA Woman
    Doors - Best Of thanks @riskylogic
    Drake, Nick - A Treasury
    Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
    Dubliners - Definitive Transatlantic Collection
    Dukes Of Stratosphear - Psurroundabout Ride
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde
    Dylan, Bob - Slow Train Coming

Eagles - Hotel California
    Earth Wind And Fire - Way Of The World/Spirit thanks @riskylogic
    ELO - debut album
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Tarkus
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

Fagen, Donald - The Nightfly
    Fahl, Mary - From The Dark Side Of The Moon thanks @riskylogic
    Ferry, Bryan - Boys and Girls
    Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics thanks @riskylogic
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975)
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Fleetwood Mac - Mirage
    Foreigner - Foreigner
    Foundations - Very Best Of
    Franklin, Aretha - best of

Gabriel, Peter - Up
    Gallagher, Rory - Big Guns (Best Of)
    Gaye, Marvin - Lets Get It On
    Genesis - Overview of all thanks @MikeF63
    Genesis - Foxtrot
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
    Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    Genesis - And Then There Were Three
    Genesis - Duke
    Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory
    Gentle Giant - Free Hand
    Gentle Giant - Interview
    Gilmour, Dave - On An Island
    Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead
    Guns And Roses - Appetite For Destruction

Hackett, Steve - Voyage Of The Acolyte thanks @riskylogic
    Hackett, Steve - Broken Skies, Outspread Wings thanks @riskylogic
    Hackett, Steve - At The Edge Of Light
    Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
    Hancock, Herbie - Sextant
    Hendrix,
    Jimi - Electric Ladyland

Inxs - Kick
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death

Jeff Beck Group - Rough And Ready
    Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
    Jethro Tull - A Passion Play/ Chateau d'Herouville
    Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
    Jethro Tull - Too Old To Rock and Roll ...
    Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses
    Jethro Tull - Stormwatch
    Jethro Tull - TAAB 2 thanks @riskylogic
    Joel, Billy - The Stranger
    Joel, Billy - 52nd Street
    John, Elton - Elton John
    John, Elton - Madman Across The Water
    John , Elton - Honky Chateau
    John, Elton - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
    Johnson, Eric - Ah Via Musicom

Kansas - The Absence Of Presence thanks @riskylogic
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - The Traveller
    King, Carole - Tapestry
    King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King 40th and 50th
    King Crimson Islands
    King Crimson - Lark's Tongues In Aspic
    King Crimson - Red
    King Crimson - Beat
    King Crimson - Thrak
    King Crimson - The Power To Believe
    Knopfler, Mark - Sailing To Philadelphia
    Knopfler, Mark - Shangri La
    Kooper, Al (with Bloomfield and Stills) Super Sessions
    Kraftwork - 3d catalog - Autobahn
    Kraftwerk - 3d Catalog - Man Machine

Led Zeppelin - Song Remains The Same
    Lennon, John - Imagine, Ultimate Edition
    Living Colour - Collideoscope
    Love And Rockets - Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven thanks @riskylogic
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
    Manheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire 8 thanks @riskylogic
    Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear
    Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
    Marillion - Brave
    Marillion - Afraid Of Sunlight
    Marley, Bob - Legend
    McCartney, Paul - The McCartney Years
    Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
    Monk, Thelonius - Supreme Jazz
    Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed
    Moody Blues - In Search Of The Lost Chord
    Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance
    Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
    Morrison, Van - Moondance
    Mussorgsky, Modeste - Carlo Ponti - Pictures At An Exhibition+
    Motorhead - Ace Of Spades
    Mozart - 40th Symphony
    Mozart - Rene Jacobs - Le Nozze Di Figaro (The Marriage Of Figaro)

Jagger69 likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

Nektar - Journey To The Centre of The Eye Thanks @riskylogic
    Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus
    Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
    No Man - Schoolyard Ghosts Thanks @riskylogic
    No Man - Together We're Stranger Thanks @riskylogic
    Numan, Gary - Anthology

Oldfield, Mike - Ommadawn
    Oldfield, Mike - Five Miles Out
    Oldfield, Mike - Crises thanks @Sordel 's overview
    Oldfield, Mike - Return To Ommadawn thanks @riskylogic
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries thanks @riskylogic
    Opeth - Deliverance / Damnation thanks @riskylogic
    Opeth - Pale Communion
    Opeth - In Cauda Venenum

Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day
    Pineapple Thief - Dissolution
    Pineapple Thief - Your Wilderness and 8 Years Later
    Pineapple Thief - Versions Of The Truth
    Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
    Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
    Pink Floyd - Endless River
    Pixies - Doolittle thanks @Galactus2
    The Police - Every Breath You Take the dvd
    Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream
    Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
    Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (deluxe version 1) - Update on fixed copy
    Porcupine Tree - Deadwing thanks @riskylogic
    Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
    Presley, Elvis - 30 #1 hits
    Pure Prairie League - Two Lane Highway/If The Shoe Fits thanks @riskylogic

Queen - A Night At The Opera
    Queen - The Game
    Queensryche - Tribe thanks @riskylogic

REM - Document
    REM - Green
    REM - Automatic For The People
    REM - Monster
    REM - Around The Sun thanks @riskylogic
    Renaissance - Turn Of The Cards thanks @riskylogic
    Return to Forever - Musicmagic thanks @riskylogic
    Rich, Charlie Behind Closed Doors
    Riverside - Love, Fear And The Time Machine thanks @riskylogic
    Riverside - Wasteland
    Rolling Stones - Goat's Head Soup
    Roxy Music - Roxy Music
    Roxy Music - Avalon
    Rundgren, Todd - Liars - Thanks @riskylogic
    Rush - Fly By Night
    Rush - 2112
    Rush - A Farewell To Kings (Wilson version)
    Rush - Hemispheres
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Rush - Signals
    Rush - Snakes And Arrows

Santana
    Santana - Abraxas dts disc
    Santana - Abraxas cdjapan
    Santana, Carlos - Miles, Buddy - Live thanks @riskylogic
    Santana - Lotus
    Shankar & Gingger - One In A Million thanks @riskylogic
    Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits
    Soord, Bruce - All This Will Be Yours
    Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
    Squire, Chris - Fish Out Of Water
    Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle
    Storm Corrosion (Wilson and Åkerfeldt) thanks @riskylogic

Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food
    Talking Heads - Fear Of Music
    Talking Heads - Remain In Light
    Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues
    Talking Heads - Little Creatures
    Talking Heads - Naked
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
    Tangerine Dream - Ricochet
    Taylor, James - JT
    Tchaikovsky - The Nutcracker - Neeme Jarvi
    Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair
    Tears For Fears - Seeds Of Love
    Temple Of The Dog - Temple Of The Dog
    Tesseract - Polaris thanks @riskylogic
    Thomas, Michael Tilson - Orff, Beethoven, Gershwin - Carmina Burana, An American In Paris, Rhapsody In Blue + more
    Thompson, Richard - Rumour And Sigh
    Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes
    Tomita - Firebird
    Toto - IV
    Townsend, Devin - Empath

Townshend, Pete/Lane, Ronnie - Rough Mix
    T Rex - Electric Warrior

Uk - Night After Night
    Ultravox - Vienna
    Uriah Heep - Gold From The Byron Era
    Uriah Heep - Best Of vol II

Velvet Underground - Re-Loaded

Wakeman, Rick - Six Wives Of Henry The Eighth
    Waters, Roger - Amused to Death
    Wayne, Jeff - War Of The Worlds
    Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
    Who - Tommy
    Who - Quadrophenia
    Wilson, Steven - The Raven That Refused To Sing
    Wilson, Steven - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
    Wilson, Steven - 4 1/2
    Wilson, Steven - To The Bone
    Wings - Band On The Run
    Wings - Venus And Mars
    Wishbone Ash - Bare Bones thanks @riskylogic

XTC - Drums And Wires
    XTC - The Black Sea
    XTC - Oranges and Lemons

Yes - The Yes Album
    Yes - Fragile
    Yes - Close To The Edge
    Yes - Tale Of Topographic Oceans
    Yes - Relayer
    Young, Neil - Harvest
    Young, Neil - Greendale thanks @riskylogic

Zappa - Quaudiophiliac

Zappa - Halloween

23. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Have you considered giving the list of surround albums a rating that reflects only the quality of the surround mix, like from 0 to 10.
    To me Sea Change would be a 10, some the Springsteen's would be a 0.
    It might be useful for members as a guide where their money would get the most use.
    Another question, has there ever been a complete 5.1 mix of Hey Jude ??

J_D__, Jagger69 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. mark winstanley

I am no good at rating stuff.
    Risky has his rating system.

I try to summarise whether I think the mix is worth it or not in the post song paragraph/s, with some kind of rationale as to who would be most likely to like it.

My problem with rating is it wouldn't be very accurate due to my nature... I know it may sound like a cop out, but it's as honest as I can be really.

I don't think Hey Jude has received a full mix yet.... though if what i read recently is correct, or i understand it correctly, Giles has mixed everything, or is in the process of doing so. So it seems like the whole Beatles catalog is coming at some point.

25. riskylogic

It was actually both pre- and post-King Crimson. The Fripp-Wetton-Bruford KC trio preceded this group. Wetton and Bruford formed U.K. after that, then Bruford and Holdsworth left that the form the group Bruford. After that, Bill went into the KC with Belew.

I can see why some people wouldn't like it, especially if you are looking for "immersive".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.