Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Juggsnelson and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. mark winstanley

Captain and Me is great, and was nearly up this morning.

4. mark winstanley

I would love some of those. There is some Zappa also that I would absolutely go nuts over ... whether any of it sees the light of day remains a mystery

Galactus2 and lennonfan1 like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Ironic that I'll be selling 8 quad vinyl titles this afternoon, because unlike Can't Buy A Thrill, I don't hear anything ' special ' when played back as stereo, and I damn sure need the space.

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Poor Mark, working his fingers to the bone, first so diligently on the Joe Jackson thread, now one one that's gonna take far too many fingers (two sets on the left, two sets on the right, ten in the middle...and, I don't wanna guess as to what you'll be using for the sub! ;) )

And - it goes without saying - we're gonna need one helluva lot more Sundays...! :cheers:

7. mark winstanley

Yea, if folks enjoy it, it'll be a long ride lol

MikeF63 and Juggsnelson like this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'll get right on lobbying Congress for the new 8-day calendar...

Tim Bucknall and mark winstanley like this.
  9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

"Running on Empty" is a great 5.1 release. The live cuts are mostly band in the front, audience/ambience in the rears, but the hotel room and bus stuff is the choice demo surround material. The extra bits included with this release make this a must have for JB fans stereo and surround. This was one of those DVD-A's we almost didn't get. It was announced and we waited and waited until it finally came out. Thankfully is arrived as a CD+DVD-A package instead of a DualDisc. If only WEA had started out with CD+DVD-A instead of DVD-A only I think more folks would have ended up with DVD-A's they might have eventually got around to getting players for.

Anyway, this IIRC was a Grammy winning surround mix. Jackson's next release was also set for DVD-A release ("Naked Ride Home"), but sales of DVD-A's and sales of that title torpedoed it's release.

Nice thread!

10. mark winstanley

Well this is working for me anyhow.
    Recalibrated my speakers, and listened to a ton of stuff today :)

Tim Bucknall and Juggsnelson like this.
  11. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

This is a 5.1 favorite of mine and one of my DVD-A titles that gets played often. This was a nice selection to kick this thread off with for a variety of reasons. The fact that this album features live performances as well as intimate moments captured in a hotel room, immediately gives a 5.1 novice an idea of how the format can be used to enhance the experience.

The live tracks featuring ambiance and crowd reactions in the rear speakers give you the feeling of being at the show. On the more intimate recordings, the listener is treated to bring "in" the room with the band. It's hard for me to fathom that anyone listening to this would not feel rewarded by the surround experience offered. This album was made for the format. It is a great introductory listen because it stays away from certain creative choices that chase people away from surround sound music...Namely gimmicky placement of instruments or not staying true to what you would hear in a live experience. I happen to love radical mixes of familiar songs (done tastefully) but this seems to be the biggest complaint by those who thumb their noses at 5.1.

The two bonus tracks are worthy additions to the album. The photo gallery is a nice touch too.

This is a great album made even greater in surround. If you enjoy this type of music than this set is a no brainer. The fidelity is excellent and the mixes suit the songs perfectly.

12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Looks like a good thread to follow. Right now I don't have the time to do a 5.1 review or comparison with the stereo mix.

Some of my favourites are Donald Fagen - The Nightfly, Sheryl Crow - Globe Sessions, Talking Heads - Fear Of Music and Naked, Steely Dan - Gaucho and Everything Must Go. I would love to someday own 5.1 discs of (original lineup) 10cc albums.

15. mark winstanley

For the purposes of this thread, I'm not sure that stereo comparisons are particularly necessary, but certainly if someone wanted to do them, that's cool. I certainly won't be lol

I really hope we can get some 10cc in 5.1. I would like Sheet Music through to Look Hear?, but it seems unlikely. It would be very cool to get Godley and Creme Consequences through to Ism Ism, but that would seem even more unlikely.

16. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Surround music revitalized my love of sitting in front of speakers. I’m a complete convert and wish there was more support in the marketplace. Steve Wilson and everything he does was my gateway. Thanks for starting the thread! Only problem is that I went to buy Running On Empty and it’s OOP. Might be a problem for newbies since these titles come and go pretty quick.

thgord, PDK, chaz and 5 others like this.
  17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Yes, count me in. I've got more than a couple of years' worth of Sundays in my collection but they're spread over a narrow range of artists and I suspect that I will be adding to my wishlist more often than I'm participating in the discussion.

18. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

I have to get that

head_unit and mark winstanley like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Sadly OOP can be a problem.
    If running on empty appeals to you, you can get it here, second hand. It actually isn't much more than it originally was new, which is rare.
    Jackson Browne - Running On Empty (CD, US, 2005) For Sale | Discogs

I have had to pay some stupid prices to get some titles

20. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

If you're "sitting in front of speakers" when listening to surround stuff, you are doing something wrong :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. Vic333

Vic333 Forum Resident

I would love to hear the surround mix of Phaedra, but that box is more than I can justify price-wise. It looks pretty amazing, though.
    It looks like it's only available as an import, which I guess makes the DVDs region 2?

22. mark winstanley

I costs about 150 at import cd's which is more affordable. If the discs are dvd-a's they won't be region coded. They are actually blurays and are almost certainly not region coded

Juggsnelson likes this.
  23. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Ain’t that the truth. Try to get the Scheiner 5.1 mix of Layla without taking out a second mortgage.

24. Juggsnelson

I believe the DVD's are universal (region 0?). There should be no issue playing these back domestically. It is expensive for sure. Unfortunately I doubt these mixes will be available seperately. Maybe as downloads down the road?

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. Juggsnelson

Importcd's is having a sale right now! Ten percent off with code SAVE10. Every little bit helps!

frightwigwam and mark winstanley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.