Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

yea, sorry. terminology.
    Thanks for clearing that up

2. mark winstanley

same here

Deek57 and Audiowannabee like this.
  3. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Dont have pet sounds but have all 7 core moody blues in surround...DOFP i have DVD cuz Sacd going for big $$$... But MB are really derived from Quad 4.0 not 5.1 so learned on other forum to play as quad 4.0. Disconnect / mute center n subwoofer play as 4.0 may help...of course ymmv due to your system but seems to help...i have 4 full range speakers...probably wont work as well if ur speakers rears/surround s r lil n u use bass mgmt

Tuco, Galactus2 and mark winstanley like this.
  4. mark winstanley

It has been a while since I had a listen, but I actually enjoyed the Moody Blues sacd's ... I was really pleased they found In Search Of The Lost Chord

5. Audiowannabee

MB some of my favorite sacd...in search of lost chord biggest disappointment...love music but latest box set w bluray NOT very discreet...my worst MB surround purchase

The stereo versions on that set r nice though

Love my Sacd s of other albums

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Ed Hughes and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

Very possibly. I have only had a chance to listen to it once

7. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Totally disagree. Surround mix of In Search of the Lost Chord is immersive and discreet. They worked miracles for not having the original multis. I do agree the stereo mix is also fab. The set is cd and dvd only. No Blu-ray.

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Ok, that's all well and good that they're derived from a Quad source......then they should not be promoted as a "5.1 surround mix," as DOFP is. That's a bit misleading. There are other titles out there (Bitches Brew) that are accurately portrayed, labeled and marketed as 4.0 mixes. A little truth can help to make a happy consumer.

And there's no need for me to disconnect or mute anything; the receiver does the work as to where the sound goes -- based, of course, on the source.

We start disconnecting or muting stuff, and doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a 5.1 surround mix?

9. highway

highway Forum Resident

Love this thread. Just getting into surround and learning a ton!

4_everyman, TGH7 and mark winstanley like this.
  10. mark winstanley

Awesome!

11. Audiowannabee

Ur right is dvd...havent really played since bought...but my least favorite MB surround mix...your opinion may vary mine remains

12. Audiowannabee

Fwiw they took the QUAD n inserted a fake center n LFE channel to remix it to 5.1 n it actually makes less discreet...a lil muddy

Do what u want...im just relaying info ive read n ive done it on my setup

Dont shoot the messenger

13. mark winstanley

14. Jumpin & Changin

Jumpin & Changin Forum Resident

If you rip the Quadrophenia Blu-ray, you can bring the 6-channel mix into any audio software and "remaster" it by amplifying the .1 (LFE) channel. Let's say you amplify it by 3 decibels, just rename the album to indicate the difference:
    Quadrophenia (2014 Blu-ray 24-96 5.1 mix)
    Quadrophenia (2014 Blu-ray 24-96 5.1 mix +3db LFE)
    You still have the original, but also have additional options for listening. You can also use this same approach for other channels. For instance, if the lead vocal is primarily in the center channel, you can silence the center channel and listen to a more instrumental version of the song/album.

15. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

Much easier to put a note in the blu-ray case reminding you to go to your amplifier (or blu-ray player) settings, select speaker volumes, and turn up the subwoofer.

Of course it is important to remember to go back after playing the album and turn it down back to its original setting.

Even easier, if you have tone controls, is just to turn the Bass setting up for when playing this album.

16. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I am not a big fan but LOVED 7th Sojourn. Fantastic SACD in both stereo and surround.

17. mark winstanley

That's probably my favourite Moodies album. I bought the sacd's on the strength of loving that album, and the Australian vinyl compile Eternity In An Hour... magnificent piece of work in its own right.

18. Audiowannabee

My favorite is on threshold of a dream...heavy rotation of that one

19. mark winstanley

20. mark winstanley

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Ray Charles - Ray Sings, Basie Swings - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    The Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Yes - Close To The Edge Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Queen - A Night At The Opera Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    ELO - debut album Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    TheWho - Quadrophenia Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Frank Zappa Quaudiophiliac Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

PhantomStranger and Galactus2 like this.
  21. mark winstanley

Electric Warrior

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    T. Rex
    Released
    24 September 1971
    Recorded March–June 1971
    Studio Trident Studios and Advision Studios, London, England; Wally Heider Studios, Los Angeles; Media Sound Studios, New York City, United States
    Genre Glam rock rock and roll
    Length 39:02
    Label Fly (UK), Reprise (US)
    Producer Tony Visconti

Electric Warrior is the second studio album by English rock band T. Rex, their sixth if including the group's earlier incarnation as Tyrannosaurus Rex. The album marked a turning point in the band's sound, dispensing with the folk-oriented music of the group's previous albums and pioneering a flamboyant, pop-friendly take on electric rock and roll known as glam rock.[1]

The album reached number 1 on the UK charts and became the best selling album of 1971. The single "Get it On" reached the top ten in the US Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. Retitled "Bang A Gong (Get It On)" by the US record company, it also became the band's only hit in North America.

Electric Warrior has since received acclaim as a pivotal release of the glam rock movement.

T. Rex

Additional musicians
    Technical
    1. "Mambo Sun" 3:40
    2. "Cosmic Dancer" 4:30
    3. "Jeepster" 4:12
    4. "Monolith" 3:49
    5. "Lean Woman Blues" 3:02
    6. "Get It On" 4:27
    7. "Planet Queen" 3:13
    8. "Girl" 2:32
    9. "The Motivator" 4:00
    10. "Life's a Gas" 2:24
    11. "Rip Off" 3:40
    ------------------------
    So it's Friday and not Sunday, but the Mrs is out with a friend, so I figured this is going to entertain me more than TV.
    T rex made a smooth transition from acoustic folk type music into electric rock through several small shifts and in 1970 they recorded their first big hit Ride A White Swan, followed by Hot Love. These songs brought the guys right into the glam rock movement of the early seventies and this album made them stars. Get It On, or the renamed for some reason Bang A Gong (Get It On) in the US was a big chart success and the band were on their way.
    The first Trex album I got was The Slider and I love that album, and although there are many other albums in line for us to go through, I have never heard this album before .... I know, shock Horror, so I really felt like listening to it while I had some free time, and figured I may as well add it on here while I am at it.

This is the dvd-audio version, but there is also an sacd version.
    Sadly this is another out of print item and is currently
    starting at $156 on dvd-audio at Discogs T. Rex - Electric Warrior

starting at $96 on sacd at discogs T. Rex - Electric Warrior
    $120 on dvd-audio on ebay T-Rex - Electric Warrior (DVD, 2004) for sale online | eBay
    $73 on sacd on ebay T-Rex - Electric Warrior (DVD, 2004) for sale online | eBay * please note that not all will be 5.1, as other stereo sacd's have been done. Make sure you check.
    From $69 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Electric-War...ior+dvd+audio&qid=1565396566&s=gateway&sr=8-1

5.1 mix Tony Visconti
    Engineer Hector Castillo - Sterling Sound
    Mastering George Marino - Sterling Sound

So that's about all I have, so lets get into it.

Mambo Sun
    Nice spread of guitars either side. The ahhh's come in the rears.
    It is a really nice balanced mix.
    The song is a Trex boogie with some nice little riffs.
    We get some strings in the rear also.
    Nice balanced soundstage

Cosmic Dancer
    We get the acoustics here, either side again.
    The strings are front and rears.
    A really nice balanced mix. Visconti did some nice work with Bowie also, i am a fan of the Stage and David Live mixes.
    We get some cool reverse guitar effects that get some nice surround and front action.

Jeepster
    Nice. Hand claps right. Guitars all round. Crash right rear. Nice sub mix on the kick too.
    There are more guitars in this than i thought, very familiar with this track.
    Nice mix.

Monolith
    Oooo's left, I'm guessing that's Flo and Eddie. Handclaps front and rears. Some nice lead licks from the right side.
    Cool song.
    Lead break up front.

Lean Woman Blues
    Studio sounds all round at the start of this, sounds good.
    Guitars either side again. Visconti is going for that solid soundstage.
    This is a loose blues style jam, and it has a lot of character.

Get It On
    So we come to the big hit.
    Honkin' sax right rear. Rhythm guitar left side. Strings left rear. Chunk stab rhythm front right.
    The horns and strings balance each other really nice in the chorus.
    Piano across the left. Bvox all round. Short lead break on the right.
    Ok, so i don't think I've ever heard the full version with the horn run at the end.
    Really nice.

Planet Queen
    Nice guitars either side. Vocals all round. Percussion all round.
    Nice bvox right side

Girl
    Acoustic, left side. Unusual mix, but very effective. Horns all round and an electric over on the right

The Motivator
    One guitar sounds like its in the middle of the room. Strings all around. Percussion all round again.

Life's A Gas
    Acoustic left side. Electric ride side. The drums fill the whole field nicely.
    For a 1971 album, a really nice sub kick.

Rip Off
    Count in left rear. Crash right rear. Guitars either side.strings all round.

This is a pretty solid mix, yet it is a little unusual. It's balanced. We have good usage of the speakers.
    With this album I reckon a keen Trex fan is going to love it. It is a solid mix, and like the band it is a little bit quirky.

jl151080, Myke, Galactus2 and 5 others like this.
  22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

No reason QQ should be the only place with exclusive interest in surround recordings.

Why would you stop doing something you love and love talking about, just because somebody else on another platform is talking about it?

That's like saying, let's all stop talking about Star Wars now, because...well, there's all those movies...:shrug:

23. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Nice write-up Mark! This is my favorite album of all time. The 5.1 by Visconti is excellent. I need to break mine out tomorrow!

24. I pull the SACD out occasionally. It's a creative mix with a few interesting surround decisions. My favorite song off it is Cosmic Dancer.

Juggsnelson and mark winstanley like this.
  25. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Great thread, as I really like surround. I wish more 5.1 audio was offered:)

TGH7, Tuco, Audiowannabee and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.