Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Bang a Gong was titled as such in the US, presumably b/c Get It On might have been too suggestive? Just fishing here, as I was a young lad in that era, but definitely starting to listen and purchase records.

But no one will ever accuse the sensors of being savvy.....or accurate. If they forced the record label to change the title of Get It On, then how do they explain letting "One Toke Over The Line" stand as is? And from the same era, some radio stations banned America's "Horse With No Name" from airplay, due to the rumor that it was about heroin addiction.

Not trying to derail. Both Electric Warrior and The Slider are must-haves for any classic rock or glam rock fans. Is there even a version of The Slider in 5.1?

It's unfortunate how expensive all of these important titles are in the secondary market, and even more unfortunate that many don't get a subsequent issue.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

afaik there's been no 5.1 of The Slider to date.. and unfortunately none of the subsequent reissues of Electric Warrior have included the 5.1 since the Hybrid MCh SACD & DVD-Audio :cry:

3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Avalon

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Roxy Music
    Released
    May 1982
    Recorded 1981–1982
    Studio Compass Point Studios, Nassau; The Power Station, Manhattan, New York
    Genre Sophisti-pop[1] pop rock synth-pop art pop
    Length 37:31
    Label E.G. Records/Polydor
    Producer Rhett Davies and Roxy Music

Avalon is the eighth and final studio album by English rock band Roxy Music. Released in May 1982, it was recorded in 1981–82 at Compass Point Studios in Nassau, Bahamas, and is generally regarded as the culmination of the smoother, more adult-oriented sound of the band's later work. It was the band's most successful studio album, reaching No. 1 in the UK (for 3 weeks) and staying on the album charts for over a year. Although it only peaked at No. 53 in the United States, Avalon endured as a sleeper hit and became the band's only million-selling record in that country, ultimately receiving a RIAA platinum certification.

A single, "More Than This", preceded the album and was a Top 10 hit in Britain, Australia, and several European countries. The title track was released as the album's second single and also became a UK Top 20 hit. A third extract, "Take a Chance With Me", with a remixed version of album track "The Main Thing" on the B-side, reached the UK Top 30 and was Roxy Music's last UK hit single to date. Both "More Than This" (No. 103) and "Take a Chance With Me" (No. 104) performed relatively well in the United States, narrowly missing the American Top 100.

Bryan Ferry started working on the material for Avalon while staying at Crumlin Lodge on the west coast of Ireland. Ferry was there with his girlfriend, Lucy Helmore, who would become his wife in 1983. The album cover artwork featured the same lough (lake) that can be seen from the lodge.[2] Phil Manzanera has said about the making of the record "By the time you get to Avalon, 90 per cent of it was being written in the studio. That album was a product of completely changing our working methods," adding "for the last three albums, quite frankly, there were a lot more drugs around as well, which was good and bad. It created a lot of paranoia and a lot of spaced-out stuff."[3] Bryan Ferry said "I've often thought I should do an album where the songs are all bound together in the style of West Side Story, but it's always seemed like too much bother to work that way. So instead, I have these 10 poems, or short stories, that could, with a bit more work, be fashioned into a novel. Avalon is part of the King Arthur legend and is a very romantic thing, when King Arthur dies, the Queens ferry him off to Avalon, which is sort of an enchanted island. It's the ultimate romantic fantasy place.”[4]

Phil Manzanera has said of the title track, "Avalon", "When we were recording the third or fourth album in London we'd often be working in the same studio as Bob Marley, who'd be downstairs doing all of those famous albums. It just had to rub off somewhere."[5] Rhett Davies recounted the story of how the song got made: "With the 'Avalon' song we had to recut the entire song right at the end of the album. We were actually mixing the album, and the version of the song that we'd done just wasn't working out, so as we were mixing we recut the entire song with a completely different groove. We finished it off the last weekend we were mixing. We put some percussion on and some drums on, and then on the Sunday, in the quiet studio time they used to let local bands come in to do demos, Bryan and I popped out for a coffee, and we heard a girl singing in the studio next door. It was a Haitian band that had come in to do some demos, and Bryan and I just looked at each other and went 'What a fantastic voice!' That turned out to be Yanick Etienne, who sang all the high stuff on 'Avalon'. She didn't speak a word of English. Her boyfriend, who was the band's manager, came in and translated. And then the next day we mixed it."[6]

Roxy Music

Additional personnel
    Production
    • Rhett Daviesproducer
    • Roxy Music – producers
    • Peter Revill – assistant producer
    • Ian Little – assistant producer
    • Benjamin Arbiter – assistant producer
    • Barry Bongiovi – assistant producer
    • Colin Good – assistant producer
    • Bob Clearmountainengineer; mixer
    • Michael Boddy – tape archivist
    1. "More than This" 4:30
    2. "The Space Between" 4:30
    3. "Avalon" 4:16
    4. "India" 1:44
    5. "While My Heart Is Still Beating" Ferry Andy Mackay
    3:26
    6. "The Main Thing" 3:54
    7. "Take a Chance with Me" Ferry Phil Manzanera
    4:42
    8. "To Turn You On" 4:16
    9. "True to Life" 4:25
    10. "Tara" Ferry Mackay
    1:43
    ------------------------------------
    Although there have been times since its release that many have wanted to bag this album, for the very things that make it so great, it still stands tall as a wonderful piece of work from the band. They started of from somewhat art/glam roots and over the years smoothed out, a lot. This really didn't suit some of the older fans, but that doesn't make the albums styling bad, just different. My favourite Roxy album is Country Life, and that would be awesome in 5.1, but it doesn't seem super likely to happen. The debut album was of course very well done in 5.1 by the ever present Steven Wilson.
    This album is smoother than silk bathed in buttermilk, and the professionalism is beyond reproach. There are some obvious songs that came from jam type situations, but the overall effect of the album is soothing a quite wonderful.

Another tragically out of print album, and your looking at
    $84 and up on discogs Roxy Music - Avalon
    $58.31 and up on discogs Roxy Music - Avalon
    $106 + on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Roxy-Music/dp/B00009KSEZ
    $63 + on ebay Avalon [Bonus Track] by Roxy Music (CD, Jul-2003, Emi) for sale online | eBay

Again please be aware with sacd's, that there are many stereo only versions that come out, so be sure to get the right pressing if you are buying them. Discogs always show the versions... some other places it pays to enter with caution.

I know this mix is very good, as I have had this since it was released, and it is a relief not to have to deal with the inflated prices for it now, bur many other discs I sure paid through the nose for, so it balances out.

5.1 mix Bob Clearmountain
    Assistant Kevin Harp
    Mastered by Bob Ludwig

Obviously this is a completely different kettle of fish than Trex. This was recorded ten years later, which across the breadth of the seventies makes a huge difference. I find it quite amazing the advances in technology and equipment over the seventies period. Recorded in 1981 it really benefits from great recording and production.

More Than This
    Instantly we get beautiful mixing and the lush smooth sounds of the last Roxy album..
    Tom rolls right side, also some just wider than front left, just like a kit in its arc.
    We have synth pads and effected guitars in the rears. Cymbals from all angles.
    There is a softness probably better described as lushness, that feels like being wrapped in a soft, warm blanket on a cool night. Great mix

The space between
    Nice percussion effects in the rears. The horns on the right. Vocals all round. Little guitar mofifs all around.
    This album is a real feat of production and musicianship.
    Synth pads, wonderful vocal effects.
    This is balanced and wonderfully smooth.
    Some sax in the right rears playing a few little runs.
    Some really nice vocal reverb movement effects.

Avalon
    Synth slides up left rear. A really nice movement through my head (left to right) of that swelling guitar or synth. Magnificent piece of mixing there.
    Tremolo guitar to the right.
    Lead guitar left. Percussion all around.
    It's hard to describe how lush and immersive this is.
    Second piece of lead on left has an effects send to the right.
    Then the sax on the right.
    The female backing vocal left, with effects sends right.... what a vocal that is too.
    Fantastic mix again.

India
    This is an instrumental and layered beautifully. The drums slowly circling us. In fact various parts of the mix circling.
    Very short but on incredible piece of mixing, that doesn't feel gimmicky, it feels artistic and simply beautiful.

While My Heart Is Still Beating
    Again we have this amazing immersion. Sax right, synth pad left.
    They really used the effects sends well here on this album.
    We have positional mixing with reverb and drlay sends flooding the sound field.
    It wouldn't suit every album, but it fits this album to a T.
    Nice reverse guitar moving around a bit. Then the sax.
    Another masterful mix

The Main thing
    The sub is nice on this recording also.
    Again we have a lovely array of percussive piece gently drawing our ears one way and another.
    Synths and guitars left and right. The stabbing guitar right side. Guitar playing little riffs left side. Rhythmic pulsations all around us. This is quite a sensual mix.
    Several instruments playing off each other left and right.
    It is almost as if this album was conceived for surround. It would be a good demo disc.

Take A Chance With Me
    Guitar left rear. Sax right rear. Little bits everywhere.
    If you are familiar with the song, the great extended intro is a great sampler of this wonderful album and mix.
    Repetitive guitar in the front, noodling guitar left, arpeggio guitar right. Synth line either side.
    Vocals broadened nicely by bvox.
    This is a marvellous song, only surpassed on this album, by the next one, for me.
    Listening to this is like a brain massage.

To turn you On
    Percussion left. Kick with nice round sub up front. Synths through the back. Fantastic sounding bass on here.
    Pretty much more of the same here. Sensational piece of mixing, that gives this already exquisite album a new and unforgettable dimension.
    This would be an album to play to the two ears, two speakers folk, and if they had anything negative to say, they realy aren't music lovers.

True to Life
    Nice stereoed synths in the rears. More excellent use of effects sends. Guitar just right.
    Clearmountain and Ludwig have done a marvellous job here. Even better than I remember.
    I know this album isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it is certainly worth hearing this mix, just for the mix.

Tara
    Another short little instrumental. Living through its atmosphere. Synth pads and sax. Working almost like a coda to the album

Always Unknowing
    Percussion all around. Effects sends colouring beautifully.
    A nice little bonus track, and still mixed exquisitely.
    At 5:21 it's actually the longest track on the album. Another relaxing, lush piece of art. Lovely guitar. The percussion here is almost hypnotic.
    With a beautiful smooth fade to take us out of the album.

As somebody earlier pointed out, this is an essential surround album. As i said, even if Roxy's last album isn't a favourite, unless you absolutely loathe the band, this is an A1, must have surround disc.
    It is even better than I remember it, and that tells me it is longer than I thought since I was seriously allowing myself to listen to music with no distractions. It's funny how we can take something so special for granted, and start going through the motions. If you suspect you have been going through the motions... if you have been listening while playing about on social media, Hoffman forum or whatever. Do yourself a favour and make yourself start listening again, it is so very worth it. I am finding myself falling in love with the music all over again, instead of worshipping from afar, I am sitting in the drivers seat again.
    Do yourself a favour. Wait for everyone to go out. Turn your phone off, and listen to something you love ... and I mean really listen.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Amnion, Jerry James, TGH7 and 10 others like this.
  4. mark winstanley

Sorry about not replying this morning. The wife got home early and I had the introduction to Avalon up, and i didn't want to start again. Luckily I got home early today and managed to have that elusive listen. :0
    The Slider would be great in 5.1
    How cool if they did Slider and Rabbit Fighter album versions in 5.1 :)

Galactus2 likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

Me too... so many albums I would love in surround

6. mark winstanley

As I say, it is remarkably the first time I have heard it. Back in the eighties I had a bunch of Trex albums on vinyl, but somehow never got around to this one.
    When I got cd's back in my collection, I bought The Slider because I just love that album and the 2 cd 30th anniversary greatest hits (surprisingly for me) and I actually think it is a great compile.
    I enjoyed the album a lot.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The Slider is amazing too and I always loved Tanx too!

Galactus2 and mark winstanley like this.
  8. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Great write-up about Avalon, Mark. It's probably the crown jewel in my music collection.

Up until it came out on SACD, the only place you could find 'Always Unknowing' was the b-side of the Avalon single. Not the easiest thing to find in the US back then, but I persevered.

As I mentioned before, I grumbled about paying $30 for this many years ago, long before I had a SACD player or a surround system. Now look what the darn thing goes for.

If the Roxy camp is going to go through all the albums and give them a 'deluxe' treatment, as they did with their first album, then we can all look forward to what they'll do with Avalon.

But honestly, the mix that you wrote about will be a tough act to follow. Very tough.

Tuco, MoonPool, jmrife and 1 other person like this.
  9. mark winstanley

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    ELO - debut album Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Hendrix, Jimi - Electric Ladyland - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Queen - A Night At The Opera Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Roxy Music - Avalon Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    T Rex - Electric Warrior Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Who - Quadrophenia Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Yes - Close To The Edge Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Zappa Quaudiophiliac Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

ceddy10165 likes this.
  10. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

I realize that the SACD of Avalon is the highly desired one, but for those that haven't been able to find one yet, there's a HDCD version floating around out there that sounds great. A music buff friend of mine just found a used copy of it at a local record store. When browsing used CDs, check them carefully.

Sometimes, 'second prize' is still worthy to own until first prize is within grasp.

11. mark winstanley

I think either way it's an essential album, but i doubt i would listen to the stereo again lol

Galactus2 and Audiowannabee like this.
  12. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

When u have good surround mix vs stereo it's ALWAYS the surround choice!

13. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Listening to Avalon right now, so a couple more comments, then I’ll shut up. :D

Have you guys noticed that on most of the songs (all, perhaps?), the only sound coming out of the center channel is voice? That’s similar to how Steven Wilson does his surround mixes, and I think it’s the best idea. It just works, particularly if the listener also uses his system for movies and TV.

In the CD universe, people praise landmark albums such as Aja, The Nightfly and Brothers In Arms for their production and SQ. Well, I’ll put Avalon right up there with any of those, and I own them all.

Sometimes I think it’s a vastly underrated album, especially compared to some of the other sonic gems in this thread.

14. mark winstanley

No need to shut up lol
    The threads are for exactly the opposite :)

Galactus2 likes this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

fredblue and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Certainly sounds like an interesting release.
    The only song I know of his is Blue On Black ... is that his general style?

17. Myke

The album proper was released May 31st, I believe I posted a link in that thread leading you to 8 of the 10 songs, so you can listen in advance.

18. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

With one of the short instrumentals, I think this one, they didn't have the multi-tracks, and so the it's basically the stereo mix circling around the listener.

This simple trick works well in the overall 5.1 listening experience.

Michael D and mark winstanley like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

The surround mix of Avalon is so phenomenal that takes a good album and makes it a great album.

Galactus2 and mark winstanley like this.
  20. mark winstanley

Thanks for the clarification

21. I was really hoping The Slider would hit SACD as well and receive a surround mix. Going by how Electric Warrior's SACD trades on the market, I don't think they sold many copies.

22. Myke

Another seller has since added his sealed copy to the store. $67 + shipping. I've been curious about this one for 10 years now, but have never wanted to spend the money for it.
    (Kevin Gray's awesome job on the recent vinyl reissue helped too !)

mark winstanley and Juggsnelson like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

That Kevin Gray vinyl cut is stellar!

mark winstanley and Myke like this.
  24. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

India is indeed a gorgeous instrumental.

Would you fans of Avalon change any of the tracks if you could? When it originally came out, I recall it fit on one side of a 90 min tape, but with little to no room at the end. So if I wanted to add 'Always Unknowing,' for example, I'd have to drop something for the prevalent format (vinyl) of its day.

True to Life is expendable to me, but this is like saying 'which vintage year of Dom Perignon would you not bring to the wedding reception'? It's all that good.

25. mark winstanley

Black Sea

[​IMG]

Studio album by
    XTC
    Released
    12 September 1980
    Recorded June – July 1980
    Studio Townhouse Studios, London
    Genre Post-punk[1]
    Length 48:56
    Label Virgin
    Producer Steve Lillywhite

XTC was an English rock band formed in Swindon in 1972. Led by songwriters Andy Partridge and Colin Moulding, the band gained popularity during the rise of punk and new wave in the 1970s, later playing in a variety of styles that ranged from angular guitar riffs to elaborately arranged pop. Partly because the group did not fit into contemporary trends, they achieved only sporadic commercial success in the UK and US, but attracted a considerable cult following. They have since been recognised for their influence on Britpop and later power pop acts.

Black Sea, released their fourth studio album in September 1980, reunited the group with Lillywhite and Padgham and was well-received critically.[15] Singles "Generals and Majors", "Towers of London" and "Sgt. Rock (Is Going to Help Me)" returned them to the charts at numbers 32, 31 and 16, respectively.[11] "Sgt. Rock" provoked feminist hate-mail for the lyric "keep her stood in line". Partridge regretted the song, calling it "crass but not enjoyably crass".[15] "Respectable Street" was banned from BBC radio due to its references to abortion and a "Sony Entertainment Centre".[50] Partridge believed Black Sea was the closest the group had come to representing their live sound in the studio.[51] It remains XTC's second-highest charting British album, placing at number 16,[11]and the most successful album in the U.S. of their career, peaking at number 41 on the Billboard 200.[1] That October, the documentary XTC at the Manor, which featured the band faking a studio session for "Towers of London",[52] was broadcast on BBC2.[53]

Black Sea spent 7 weeks on the UK album charts, reaching No. 16.[2] In the US, the album spent 24 weeks on the Billboard 200 album charts and reached its peak position of No. 41 in February 1981.[4] A fourth single, "Love at First Sight", was released exclusively to Canada. And a fifth single, "Respectable Street", was banned from BBC radio due to its references to abortion and a "Sony Entertainment Centre".[5]

XTC
    Technical
    1. "Respectable Street" 3:38
    2. "Generals and Majors" Colin Moulding 4:05
    3. "Living Through Another Cuba" 4:44
    4. "Love at First Sight" Moulding 3:08
    5. "Rocket from a Bottle" 3:30
    6. "No Language in Our Lungs" 4:53
    7. "Towers of London" 5:24
    8. "Paper and Iron (Notes and Coins)" 4:17
    9. "Burning with Optimism's Flames" 4:16
    10. "Sgt. Rock (Is Going to Help Me)" 3:57
    11. "Travels in Nihilon" 7:04
    extra tracks on Wilson - definitive edition
    12. "Respectable Street (Single Version)" 3:08
    13. "Smokeless Zone" Colin Moulding 3:50
    14. "Don't Lose Your Temper" 2:32
    15. "Take This Town" 4:09
    16. "Ban the Bomb" Moulding 2:40
    17. "Towers of London (Early Version)" 6:11
    18. "The Somnambulist" 4:38
    19. "History of Rock 'n' Roll - Andy Partridge (Solo)" 0:21
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    XTC were a bit outside the box. They came into view in 1978 with their debut album White Music. This was fairly quickly followed by Go2 and Drums and Wires. Drums and Wires contained the song Making Plans for Nigel, and that single is essentially their break-through single. Prior to "Nigel" the band had somewhat struggled to fill small clubs, but afterwards things started to come together for them. Never a huge band, and always holding a bit more of a cult status than superstardom, they were very influential due to their own unique quirky sound. Folks seem to like to label them progressive pop these days, but back in the day, they were sort of the oddball band, that had their own sound and style and some good singles.

Generals and Majors is where I first heard the band, and I always loved the song. My love for the band really took off with the album English Settlement, which had multiple versions and track lists all over the place. I really hope they can find the multi-tracks and give that album a release like this one.

This is an excellent album, and I think to some degree Steve Lillywhite helped them get their sound refined well on this album. Lillywhite had a big 1980, producing Peter Gabriel's III(melt), U2's debut Boy as well as this album.

5.1 produced and mixed by Steven Wilson

The Black Sea: Definitive Edition is still readily available, but I don't know how long for. Currently the album is around the $20 mark, and if you like the band and surround sound, I would probably pick it up before it becomes another $50-100 secondhand discs.
    Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Black-Sea-Definitive-XTC/dp/B075Z587Z2
    Acoustic Sounds XTC-Black Sea-Blu-ray|Acoustic Sounds
    Discogs XTC - Black Sea
    Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Se...9N4z22E-GXP799Dhzbha4UFbhX5g6UnwaAphIEALw_wcB

Respectable Street
    We start with a piano, and vocal recorded to sound older, and including some vinyl crackling. Then we spread to the full sound.
    The interplay between the left side guitar and right side guitar works really well here. At about 2.30 we get a percussive guitar effect that pans from right to left and back in rears. Nothing over the top or weird, just a nice effect.
    Wilson has gone for a full drum sound, using the whole field, but with the kick and snare snuggly in the front, with toms and cymbals getting surround spacing.
    Another nice balanced, full surround mix.

Generals And Majors
    Here we have a continuation of the basic soundstage.
    Guitars either side. Some bvox to the left. The whistling through the middle of your head.
    With the clucky guitars, it has an excellent effect and feel with this mix.
    There are some subtle position changes through the song, essentially seeming to be for balance.

Living Through Another Cuba
    Here we get some really well balanced bvox in the rears, and the whistle sound sliding from the right side to the left via the rears.
    Also some nice percussion and vocal delay effects get some action in the sides and rears.
    We finish with a cool little piece of mixing with the bands faux- techno ending.

Love At First sight
    Again the somewhat disjointed nature of the rhythm guitars creates a nice left side and right side, with the guitars bouncing off each other.
    We get an anti-lead break, with another percussive guitar effect moving around the soundfield a bit.
    Hi hats are on the left side.
    Another nicely balanced mix.

Rocket From A Bottle
    Here we have a very staccato feel and we have guitar and keys either side pulsating to the beat if the song.
    This album has a nice sub balance also.
    Some nice delay sends from the vocals in the rears.
    Another nice mix.

No Language in Our Lungs
    This is a great song. We have a thematic continuation of the mix, with a nice full and balanced mix with the guitars either side, cymbals hitting in the rears as applicable.
    Some tapes of speaking get some surround field action also.

Towers Of London
    Some studio banter and a stick count in to start us here.
    Wilson has in general gone with a continuation of the soundfield, giving us a great mix, that also helps to keep the album as an album experience. We get some subtle movement effects as stated, but an album continuity with the mix, and the guitars are very effective in this field. Allowing a fairly dense mix room to breathe and really come to life.

Paper And Iron (Notes and Coins)
    Another nice little piece of percussive guitar to start us.
    It's interesting the move in musical style of the band. Early on we have a somewhat punk/ska/new wave thing going on with the band, but the advances on Drums and Wires move forward again, with the band sounding more unique with each album.
    Some nice percussive effects in the rears.
    Also nice surround bvox.

Burning with Optimisms Flame
    Again a nice continuation in the soundfield. Hats in the rears.

Sgt Rock (Is Going To help Me)
    Bvox and percussion in the rears. Stabbing guitar right rear.
    The verses have slightly different soundstage here, and it works beautifully due to the unusual arrangement of them. The chorus takes us back to the standard soundstage used on the album.
    This track is interesting, and to a degree brings Beefheart and Waits to mind.
    Nice melody-following guitar in the rears after the bridge.
    Still in context with the rest of the album, but a nice change up here.

Travels In Nihilon
    We have percussion and vocals starting us off here. At "travel" the guitars kick in.
    This track has an oppressive feel, and that translates well in the soundfield.
    Almost a metal track in its relentless intensity.
    We end with a nice immersive sound of either the rain or a shower.

That is the album proper, as a bonus, which we often get with Wilson related surround projects, this ends up being a Definitive Edition indeed with eight bonus tracks. An early version of one track a single version of Respectable Street, and six outtakes. Although these don't come up on the album menu, when the album ends there is a natural transfer onto the bonus songs, rather than having to go back to the menu. It's nicely done.
    Obviously we have the new stereo mixes, original stereo mixes. We get another bonus of instrumental mixes. We get Phonogram studios early versions of songs. we get a bunch of Andy Partridge demos and a stream of bonus material that really increase the value of this release, especially for the hardcore XTC fan.
    This is a really well put together package, and for the reasons we are here today, this is an excellent surround mix, as we have come to expect from Steven Wilson.
    This is essential to the XTC fan, in my opinion, and worth a listen for the 5.1 lover, and/or someone looking to get into the band.

donmac, Thorpy, Tuco and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.