Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Black Sea is a fantastic surround release - affordable and in print. Get it now. Steven Wilson has done a stellar job with the XTC catalog.

Wish the Roxy Avalon would get a Blu Ray surround reissue. I’m a late adopter if surround music and it pains me how hard what little is out there is to purchase.

MoonPool, Galactus2, Wildgift and 3 others like this.
  2. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Avalon is one one of my favorite multi-channel discs too. When I bought it- I probably only knew about one song on it. glad I did now!

mark winstanley and Juggsnelson like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

A Question of Balance

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    The Moody Blues
    Released
    7 August 1970
    Recorded January – June 1970 at Decca Studios, West Hampstead, London
    Genre Progressive rock, folk rock
    Length 38:41
    Label Threshold
    Producer Tony Clarke

A Question of Balance is the sixth album by The Moody Blues. The album was an attempt by the group to strip down their well-known lush, psychedelic sound in order to be able to better perform the songs in concert.[citation needed] Released in 1970, the album reached #1 in the United Kingdom and #3 in the United States.

In March 2006, the album was remastered into SACD format and repackaged with six extra tracks. In 2008, a remaster for standard audio CD was issued with the same bonus tracks.

1. "Question" Justin Hayward Hayward 5:40
    2. "How Is It (We Are Here)" Mike Pinder Pinder 2:48
    3. "And the Tide Rushes In" Ray Thomas Thomas 2:57
    4. "Don't You Feel Small" Graeme Edge Hayward, Thomas, Pinder, John Lodge; whisper by Edge 2:40
    5. "Tortoise and the Hare" Lodge Lodge 3:23
    6. "It's Up to You" Hayward Hayward 3:11
    7. "Minstrel's Song" Lodge Lodge 4:27
    8. "Dawning Is the Day" Hayward Hayward 4:22
    9. "Melancholy Man" Pinder Pinder 5:49
    10. "The Balance" Edge, Thomas Pinder (narration) 3:33
    Total length: 38:41
    2006 SACD expanded edition and 2008 remaster bonus tracks

11. "Mike's Number One" (previously unreleased) Pinder 3:36
    12. "Question" (alternate version) Hayward 6:08
    13. "Minstrel's Song" (original mix) Lodge 4:35
    14. "It's Up to You" (original mix) Hayward 3:19
    15. "Don't You Feel Small" (original mix) Edge 3:02
    16. "Dawning Is the Day" (full original mix) Hayward 4:36
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Moody Blues are a great band, that seem to have slid from the minds of a lot of young music listeners due to perhaps their MOR eighties albums, which were in fact very good for what they were, but far removed from their halcyon days in the late sixties and early seventies.
    Many disagree with me, and I don't want to get into a thing about it, but the Moody Blues were among the first bands to step into the progressive, orchestral writing and arrangements that made the early seventies such an exciting period in music ... if you like that kind of thing, and I do.
    Again, I am a big fan of this album, and I love the way they sequenced their albums, often with little instrumental vignettes and poems and all sorts of interesting little bits and pieces to keep the interest up, and the sound flowing.
    This was a number 1 UK album for the band, and the magnificent Question was a number 2 single in the UK and went to 21 on the billboard charts.

I am assuming this sacd is out of print also ....
    there is one available on Amazon, for the absolutely bizarre price of $2006 https://www.amazon.com/Question-Balance-Moody-Blues/dp/B000EHQ57Q

On discogs starting at the much more realistic $45 The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance
    And $40 on ebay Question of Balance [Bonus Tracks] by The Moody Blues (CD, Apr-2006, Universal) for sale online | eBay

The only real contention it seems with the Moody Blues 5.1 sacs's seems to be some that think they sound good, and that that don't. These albums were manipulated from the Quad mixes for 5.1

5.1 mixes manipulated from Quad by Paschal Byrne and Mark Powell
    Original Quad mixes Tony Clarke, Engineers Derek Varnals
    Researched, compiled and produced by Mark Powell
    The Bonus tracks mastered by Paschal Byrne

Question
    We get the acoustic guitars in the front and rears. The ahhhh's all around. The mellotron also fills the space nicely also.
    The return to the rock section we have the acoustics, the ahhh's and some crash cymbals get a nice spread mix.
    Some have said this sacd is missing mid-range, but it sounds decent to me, and not unbalanced, although one can hear why someone may say that... i must say that i have never had another copy to compare to, so any of you audiophile guys, give us the run down please.

How Is It ( We Are Here)
    We get somewhat of a crossfade between the songs. Cymbals and percussion in the rears. Swelling mellotron either side.
    Some nice layering of keyboard sounds in the surround field

And The Tide Rushes In
    Crossfade start. We start upfront, then an acoustic comes on on the left.
    Keys come through the rears really nicely.
    I think this is a balanced mix, and it sounds 100% Moody Blues to me.

Don't You Feel Small
    This track just starts with a tight edit.
    Percussion surrounding us.
    Somewhat creepy whisper vocals coming through the rears.
    Some drums right rear during the flute solo, which come through the rears.
    This is a really interesting mix.

Tortoise and the Hare
    Another crossfade.
    Bvox either side. Mellotron right. Guitar both sides.
    In fact this is a fairly dense mix with the acoustic guitars, keys and vocals filling the space well... we also have effects sends pushing into spaces. It ends up being very effective.

It's Up To You
    We start with an acoustic tentatively coming in up front. Then we bounce into a rock and roll song Moodies style.
    Nice electric guitar on our right.
    Acoustics either side towards the rears.
    Again nicely balanced.
    The sub is present on this album and seems to mainly carry the bass guitar

Minstrel's Song
    Crossfade.
    Vocals all around us.
    Wind instrument right.
    Guitars either side.
    Again a nice balanced mix.
    Flute comes in on the left near the end.

Dawning Is The Day
    This track starts naturally after an almost complete fade of the previous song.
    This track has a bit of a wall of sound feel.
    Vocal tracks all round us. Acoustic and flutes and percussion spread around us.

Melancholy Man
    Same transition as the last song. Almost a full fade with a natural start kicking in here.
    Acoustics either side.
    Around the 2:20 point of the song we get a quite amazing collage of sound the really fills the space... leading back into the vocal section there is a high pitched keyboard melody focus which is fairly central in the soundfield.
    Then we move into some really nicely spread vocals using counterpoint.
    Another nice mix, and a somewhat enthralling song

The Balance
    A slow fade up for this song. An acoustic and some mellotron create a base for a narrative to sit on top.
    Then we burst into a chorus.
    We have piano, guitar, mellotron and i think some horns also spread around us.
    With the gentle mellotron either side, the narrative continues and the we burst into the chorus again with a little lead guitar kicking us off on the right.

Although I do hear some mild limitations to this mix, I don't see it as being bad. I am immersed in sound. There appears to be a good use of dynamic range, with the quiet sections quite and the boisterous sections suitably boisterous. This album was recorded in the first six months of 1970 and was the band's sixth album, if we include 1965's Magnificent Moodies, with a slightly different band line up. Bear in mind they recorded five albums, Days Of Future Passed, In Search Of The Lost Chord, On The Threshold Of A Dream, To Our Children's Children's Children and A Question Of Balance between 1967-1970. Also bear in mind that this is eleven years before the studio magic of albums like Avalon, with much more advanced equipment, and also much more audio designed studio's and recording techniques. I think sometimes we forget how fast the recording industry advanced during the 65-80 period of time, because "rock music" started to finally be recognised as a valid form of music, that needed different techniques and equipment to capture it properly for reproduction purposes.
    Anyway, I waffle on I guess.

I enjoy this very much, I assume a Moody Blues fan would find this essential, I imagine an audiophile would hear some issues, but I don't think the issues spoil the experience too much.

mwood, Audiowannabee, rd1 and 2 others like this.
  4. mark winstanley

Almost without fail, he seems to have done a great job of everyone's catalog ... I truly hope he gets a run at the 10cc, Zappa, Supertramp and several other catalogs ... but time is slim with his commitment to his own recordings understandably.

I believe there is a new XTC album in the works, but there is no confirmation of what it is at this stage (to the best of my understanding) In will keep my fingers crossed that they found the English Settlement tapes, and are putting it together in secret to give us all a thrill, but it seems more likely to be Big Express or Apple Venus ... but some folks feel there may be some Dukes of Stratosphere released.
    If anyone has any insight give us a holler ... The Mummer tapes are also missing I believe

ted321 and Galactus2 like this.
  5. mark winstanley

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    ELO - debut album Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Hendrix, Jimi - Electric Ladyland - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Queen - A Night At The Opera Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Roxy Music - Avalon Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    T Rex - Electric Warrior Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Who - Quadrophenia Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    XTC - The Black Sea Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Yes - Close To The Edge Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Zappa Quaudiophiliac Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

ceddy10165 likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

Here are next week's seven choices to vote for
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Elton John - Madman Across The Water
    Billy Joel - The Stranger

7. mark winstanley

Jethro Tull
    A Passion Play
    and the Chateau sessions

Joe McKee and highway like this.
  8. mark winstanley

Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
    Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made

weekendtoy likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

Alan Parsons - Tales Of Mystery and Imagination
    Crowded House - Debut

dthomas850 likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
    Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

weekendtoy, haikubass and zobalob like this.
  11. mark winstanley

John Lennon Imagine
    The Album - Singles and Extras + The Raw Studio Mixes ... all 5.1

zobalob likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

13. mark winstanley

Excuse my typos please ...
    a) I'm not a good typist
    b) it's even worse on the phone

14. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Excellent choice, one of my favourites as of late.

15. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

Thanks. Inspired me to get SEBTP by Genesis. Lovely record.

fairaintfair and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

You're welcome.
    Great album, glad you enjoy it

Wildgift likes this.
  17. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

Assuming Blu-ray sounds as good. I prefer them because there are visuals over Sacd

18. mark winstanley

Probably Pictures, but to be honest I don't rightly remember.

19. ceddy10165

Settlement and Mummer tapes are currently lost. I’d take any XTC in surround, including the first 2. Apple/Wasp seem like obvious choices to me. I’d also love to see Wilson do Zappa, but don’t think it will happen. It seems like right now Wilson is focused on his music. All of which is worth buying in 5.1!

mark winstanley likes this.
  20. ceddy10165

The visual potential of visuals to accompany surround music releases has never really been taken advantage of as far as I’ve seen. There’s so much creative possibility that it seems a waste to just put up a song title or still.

Tuco and mark winstanley like this.
  21. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

As I'm between houses, this thread is really annoying. We sold our house at the end of May and we have a contact for a town house that is being built, but won't be ready for several more months. The new place is going to have not one but two 5.1 systems - ceiling speakers in the living room plus a higher end system in my man cave downstairs. My cave space may be getting downsized to about 20% of what it was, but it's going to have a killer multichannel system dammit. In the mean time, the second home in the mountains is the only home, and it has a 5.1 system that got upgraded with some equipment from the old place. It sounds as least as good, if not better than my old system (better acoustics I think)- so you don't have to feel too sorry for me.

Here's the rub. Conceptually, my 5.1 collection of several hundred titles really only exists in one place on my hard drive, and my decades old AV receiver in the basement doesn't do networking. Furthermore, all I have is a bluray player - the Oppos that play DVDAs and SACDs are in storage. Similarly, while I brought my CD shelves and contents to the mountains, the DVD/bluray shelves went into storage. So, I have access to less than half of my collection right now. For example, Avalon is one of my favorites, but I can't listen too it right now. Even though I have them, I also can't listen to Live at Fillmore East, Brain Salad Surgery, A Question of Balance, A Night at the Opera, Quadrophenia, Black Sea or either of the two 5.1 versions of CTTE I have (one is an older SACD).

But, instead of moping about it, I suppose I should start sliding in the discs that I do have. Seems like an archaic way to listen to music, but I guess it will do. I'll start with the five on the list already and get back to you. Oh, I have Tusk on the shelf too, but Tales is in storage..

22. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Imho ALL of MB discs are essitial not just for MB fans...but surround enthusiasts!

The first rock band to ever include a symphony orchestra :)

A lil spendy at roughly $40 per disc but worthy.... MB

My favorite s On the Threshhold of a dream n DOFP...a QOB my #3 in line up...

U find MB sacd get em

23. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

GG The Power and the Glory has great visuals. It’s one that I’m inclined to play the disc instead of the hard drive. Gonna listen to that one next after Brothers in Arms finishes.

mark winstanley likes this.
  24. mark winstanley

Well, at the moment the Mrs is having another Sunday nap, and I figured I may do this album that has missed out marginally on a couple of votes. I hope I am not putting these up too fast for people to be comfortable, but please remember, using the reference list you can go back to any of the albums we have done at anytime.
    Cheers
    Mark

Remain in Light

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Talking Heads
    Released
    October 8, 1980
    Recorded July–August 1980
    Studio Compass Point Studios, Nassau - Sigma Sound Studios, Philadelphia
    Genre New wave post-punk worldbeat funk dance-rock art pop
    Length 40:10
    Label Sire
    Producer Brian Eno

Remain in Light is the fourth studio album by American rock band Talking Heads, released on October 8, 1980 by Sire Records. It was recorded at Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas and Sigma Sound Studios in Philadelphia between July and August 1980 and produced by longtime collaborator Brian Eno. Following the release of their previous album Fear of Music in 1979, the quartet and Eno sought to dispel notions of the band as a mere vehicle for frontmanand lyricist David Byrne. Drawing on the influence of Nigerian musician Fela Kuti, the band experimented with African polyrhythms, funk, and electronics, recording instrumental tracks as a series of looping grooves. The sessions incorporated a variety of side musicians, including guitarist Adrian Belew, singer Nona Hendryx, and trumpet player Jon Hassell.

Byrne struggled with writer's block, but adopted a scattered, stream-of-consciousness lyrical style inspired by early rap and academic literature on Africa. The artwork for the album was conceived by bassist Tina Weymouth and drummer Chris Frantz, and was crafted with the help of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's computers and design company M&Co. The band expanded to nine members for a promotional tour, and following its completion, they went on hiatus for several years, leaving the individual members to pursue a variety of side projects. The album was the last Talking Heads collaboration with Eno.

Remain in Light was widely acclaimed by critics, who praised its sonic experimentation, rhythmic innovations, and cohesive merging of disparate genres. The album peaked at number nineteen on the US Billboard 200 and number 21 on the UK Albums Chart, and spawned the singles "Once in a Lifetime" and "Houses in Motion". It has been featured in several publications' lists of the best albums of the 1980s and of all time, and is often considered Talking Heads' magnum opus. In 2017, the Library of Congress deemed the album "culturally, historically, or artistically significant",[1] and selected it for preservation in the National Recording Registry.[2]

Talking Heads
    Additional musicians
    Design
    Production
    1. "Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)" 5:49
    2. "Crosseyed and Painless" 4:48
    3. "The Great Curve" 6:28
    4. "Once in a Lifetime" 4:23
    5. "Houses in Motion" 4:33
    6. "Seen and Not Seen" 3:25
    7. "Listening Wind" 4:43
    8. "The Overload" 6:02
    ---------------------------------
    Talking Heads did me a favour in releasing all their albums in 5.1, because I only had the Stop Making Sense album and I went on to buy all their 5.1 albums, and they entrenched themselves into my collection because of that. There are actually a couple of bands that have become somewhat new bands for me via them releasing albums in surround. Jethro Tull, Trey Anastasio, ELP, Nick Drake and several others. The lure of a good surround recording got me to sample bands I wasn't overly familiar with, or as in the case of Tull, having only two albums, I ended up getting all the 5.1 releases and realised that the two albums that I had weren't even in my top five albums for them.
    So I move into the Talking Heads world.
    They were hard to avoid in the late seventies, early eighties because they just had so many quirky singles that got decent play on the radio. When this all came together in the Stop Making Sense movie and soundtrack it was like perfect clarity. These guys are great original writers, with an interesting ability to have music you can dance to, that didn't require you checking your brain at the door.
    From the first listen I loved this album. I was familiar with more of it than i thought, and it was a very good mix, with some fantastic pieces of interesting music and lyrics to keep one entertained.

Fortunately this album seems to still be floating around out there.
    There is one left on amazon for $16.44 https://www.amazon.com/Remain-Light-DVDA-TALKING-HEADS/dp/B000BW9VBG
    The complete collection dual/disc brick is on amazon for just under $700 for those really keen https://www.amazon.com/Talking-Heads-Dualdisc-Brick/dp/B000B5XSK8
    Discogs starting at $14.90 for the album Talking Heads - Remain In Light
    ebay $14.43 Remain in Light CD DVDA Talking Heads 0081227330026 for sale online | eBay
    the complete albums collection "Brick" is just over $200 on discogs Talking Heads - Brick

5.1 Mix is by Eric Thorngrin and Jerry Harrison
    Mastered by Ted Jansen
    Engineer Matt Cohen

I did hear that there were some issues with the Dual/discs, but up to this point I haven't had any issues with them. If the issues were with stereo mixes, I wouldn't know, because I just never bother to listen to them to be honest.
    This album really is a classic album, and an influential album. I believe even Robert Fripp gained some inspiration for his eighties King Crimson albums.
    Upon first hearing the album, it wasn't hard for me to see why it is held in such high regard.

Born Under Punches
    These rhythmic set ups suit this perfectly. Percussion and percussive instruments all round. The repeated triplet riff bounces between the rears.
    Nice sub for the kick.
    The way the rhythms work with against each other is great.
    The digitised synth lead gives us some nice head turning movement between the channels.
    The beat goes on bvox sit comfortably in the rear.
    A wonderful collage of rhythmic beauty. Virtually hypnotic.

Crosseyed and Painless
    Again a beautiful immersion in percussion. Synth chord held in the left. Guitar right.
    A really cool bunch of slides and swoops rolling through the head between the rears.
    A magnificently entertaining mix. It is balanced and beautiful.
    There are so many layers here, and used and mixed so well it is virtually hallucinatory.

The Great Curve
    Guitar right. Reply left.
    Again a rhythmic masterpiece.
    With the counterpoint vocals we get a beautiful all round mix of entwining voices.
    I guess it's Belew on the crazy lead break, and due to the lead being an effect it gers a suitably moving pan effect giving it just that little more colour.
    Another magic mix of this emphatic rhythm machine.
    A wonderful slice of Belew madness to take us out of the song.

Once In A Lifetime
    One synth pad up front. Another bouncing through your head in the rears.
    Again percussion is excellent.
    The move water move ... section the vocals bounce around nicely.
    Nice rhythm guitar on the right.
    Just excellent mixing.
    Again beautifully balanced and entertaining.

Houses In Motion
    Again magnificent mix of percussive values.
    Bvox rears.
    Great rhythm guitar right.
    Keyboard quack in the left.
    Another magnificent piece of work here. A+

Seen And Not Seen
    Handclaps rear. Nice use of synth and guitar effects in the rear. Sliding one way and another. In the context of this spoken word story, it is perfectly in context.
    This album is a surround gem, with just about everything one could want from a surround mix.
    Great soundstage, balance, some very cool movement effects, and great production with great and interesting songs.

Listening Wind
    Percussion starts up front, we get some great effects moving around here as well.
    Even the more moderate tempos are rhythmic masterpieces. Punctuated vocals. Rhythmic delays and key strikes.
    The volume swell guitar gets a great dreamy, slippery mix.
    Another dreamlike mix, that really colours the song beautifully.

The Overload
    An atmospheric piece, slightly ominous.
    A nice rotating effect on the synths and Belew's guitar tricks.
    This track is much less about percussion, and lives and dies on the atmosphere it creates. It creates a foreboding musical landscape.
    This track works as the big comedown to lead us out of the album, and is very effective in doing so.

This is a magnificent album, and an equally magnificent mix.
    It is so cool getting back to actually sitting and listening to these. I am just slightly surprised how much I am enjoying them, because I have tended to not listen closely enough for too long.

Highly recommend this one. I have the Stand alone Dvd audio of this with a separate cd (with a couple of bonus tracks, but I do have several of the Talking Heads sets in the dualdisc form, and as I say I have never had any trouble with them.
    This is essential for any Talking Heads fan , and highly recommended for the 5.1 enthusiast, or anybody that likes a few Heads tunes but hasn't heard a full album.
    Rock solid album and mix.

Jaap74, Tuco, ti-triodes and 6 others like this.
  25. mark winstanley

I imagine we will be going for quite a while here, so fear not, if your surround setup takes six months, I reckon barring some kind of intervention, we will still be rolling along here.
    I don't find putting the discs in archaic, I find it comforting :)

Audiowannabee and highway like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.