Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    ELO - debut album Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Hendrix, Jimi - Electric Ladyland - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Joel, Billy - The Stranger Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    John, Elton - Madman Across The Water Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Queen - A Night At The Opera Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Roxy Music - Avalon Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Talking heads - Remain In Light Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    T Rex - Electric Warrior Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Who - Quadrophenia Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    XTC - The Black Sea Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Yes - Close To The Edge Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Zappa - Quaudiophiliac Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

2. mark winstanley

This Week's list of seven choices.
    Please vote for what you would most like to run through next Sunday.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Weather Report - Tale Spinnin'
    Miles Davis - In a Silent Way

frightwigwam and zobalob like this.
  3. mark winstanley

Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

4. mark winstanley

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
    Eric Clapton - Back Home

5. mark winstanley

King Crimson - Red
    The Doors - L.A. Woman

6. mark winstanley

Rick Wakeman - Six Wives Of Henry The Eighth
    David Crosby - If Only I Could Remember My Name

7. mark winstanley

Van Morrison - Moondance
    Bob Marley - Legend

8. mark winstanley

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Deep Purple - Machine Head

9. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

My Sunday 5.1!

FLAMING LIPS: YOSHIMI BATTLES THE PINK ROBOTS.

While this album may induce sea sickness in some (it is anything but restrained) I find the joyous abandon in which the Lips attack the 5.1 sound stage to be a thing of beauty. While not something I'd play everyday I do appreciate a band that pans a whole drum kit around my head while somehow keeping the core of the tune intact. Word has it that this album was mixed for 5.1 first and even recorded with surround in mind, which does kinda add up.

5.1 is supposed to be fun, yes?

And no fear if one thinks that this is a cake made of nothing but icing, the songs are also lovely and the recording is very solid.

If it's not in your collection it really should be, just to make the person in the sweet spot smile!

10. fairaintfair

And one more

BECK: SEA CHANGE

This one is my go-to pick to show off my 5.1 system. My demo disc.

The 5.1 production of the track "Paper Tiger" transforms an already wildly impressive stereo mix into something...utterly grand. From the papery snare, the sweeping aggressive strings, the hard panned guitar stabs (listen for the amp noise in the sound stage) and beautifully compressed vocal that's so alive that one can almost feel the breath, this songs 5.1 mix is worth the price of admission alone.

But there is so much more. And who knew that Beck had this sorrowful break-up album of genuine beauty in him?

Sea Change
    a special moment in this artists life and the 5.1 elevates it to make this the definitive version of the album. I won't even bother with the stereo.

This is essential 5.1.

Sadly I think it's pretty expensive these days?

uffeolby, Jaap74, j3brow and 8 others like this.
  11. fairaintfair

I have my fingers crossed for "The Dukes"!

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

I would really like to see some reviews of comparisons of the various surround options of machine head cuz there seems to be several mixes available for this album.. Evidently a lot of choices...which one to try to find is very confusing

13. mark winstanley

The Captain and Me

[​IMG]

Studio album by
    The Doobie Brothers
    Released
    March 2, 1973
    Recorded 1972-73 at Warner Bros. Studios, North Hollywood, California
    Genre Rock
    Length 41:53
    Label Warner Bros.
    Producer Ted Templeman

The Captain and Me is the third studio album by American rock band The Doobie Brothers. The album was released on March 2, 1973, by Warner Bros. Records. It features some of their most popular hits including "Long Train Runnin'", "China Grove" and "Without You". The album is certified 2× Platinum by the RIAA.

There was pressure on the band to move quickly[citation needed] and to save time they began reworking old tunes. One of Tom Johnston's songs, "Osborn", had been an improvisational piece that the band played live. After laying down the track, according to producer Ted Templeman, "We still really didn't have it, and I said, 'Make it about a train, since you have this thing about 'Miss Lucy down along the track.' So he came up with "Long Train Runnin'."

Synthesizers and strings were brought in to record The Captain and Me. Synth programmers Malcolm Cecil and Robert Margouleff were brought in to engineer the opening track, "Natural Thing". Striving for a synthesized sound like that of The Beatles' "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" they would overdub individual notes to create chords for the song's bridge.[4]

"Dark Eyed Cajun Woman" was a bluesy track (one of the band's earliest) and seen by Johnston as a tribute to the blues and B.B. King. "South City Midnight Lady", while being about San Jose, is not about any woman in particular. Jeff Baxter of Steely Dan played pedal steel guitar on the track. He would become an official Doobie Brother in 1974. Cecil and Margouleff also added the synthesized effect of a woman whispering at the end.[4]

"Clear as the Driven Snow", according to Johnston, is a warning about recreational chemical abuse, which reflected the band members' lifestyles at that time.[4]

The second side of the album opens with the rocker "Without You". This song, like many others, had begun as a jam. "That song had both drummers playing at the same time," Johnston stated. "It was kind of a tribute to The Who. We did it in concert for quite a while."

Patrick Simmons' short solo guitar piece "Busted Down Around O'Connelley Corners" segues into "Ukiah", which Johnston wrote in tribute to the area. Johnston said, "We played a few shows in Ukiah, and I used to camp out a lot in the area when I was going to college." The song's back-to-the-land sentiments also reflected some of his feelings at the time, although he admitted he probably couldn't make it as a farmer. This track segues into the album closer and title track, "The Captain and Me". According to Johnston, the captain is no one in particular and the lyrics were written at the last minute and have no real meaning. The song was released as a single in the Netherlands and received some airplay there.

The Doobie Brothers:
    Additional players:
    Production
    • Producer: Ted Templeman
    • Production Coordination: Benita Brazier
    • Engineer: Donn Landee
    • Design: Barbara Casado
    • Photography: Jill Maggid
    • Art Direction: Ed Thrasher
    1. "Natural Thing" Tom Johnston Tom Johnston 3:17
    2. "Long Train Runnin'" Johnston Johnston 3:25
    3. "China Grove" Johnston Johnston 3:14
    4. "Dark Eyed Cajun Woman" Johnston Johnston 4:12
    5. "Clear as the Driven Snow" Patrick Simmons Pat Simmons 5:18
    6. "Without You" John Hartman, Michael Hossack Johnston, Simmons 4:58
    7. "South City Midnight Lady" Simmons Simmons 5:27
    8. "Evil Woman" Simmons Simmons 3:17
    9. "Busted Down Around O'Connelly Corners" James Earl Luft Instrumental 0:48
    10. "Ukiah" Johnston Johnston 3:04
    11. "The Captain and Me" Johnston Johnston 4:53
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I had always enjoyed the Doobie Brothers, but making the mistake of listening to folks that said they were a singles band, led me to never get around to buying one of their albums.
    Then I see this come out as one of the early dvd audio's.
    I ended up buying it with a hint of trepidation, somewhat expecting there to be three or four good songs and a bunch of "filler". Well colour me purple and call me Johnny, but I really enjoyed this album, and the 5.1 mix was wonderful. This album is among my earliest 5.1 purchases and I don't regret it for one minute... by minute by minute ....
    I ended up buying the Doobies box set, and that led me to want to get their full albums. I really don't see these guys as a singles band, in spite of blabber years ago.
    I have held off getting albums on the promise of a four disc Doobies set called Quadio, that would be somewhat an equivalent of the Chicago set, but just the four albums. I believe it is still on the way, and can only hope that we get this gem at some point sooner than later.
    I honestly hope that I am not posting too many albums... I have just had some Sunday free time and have been enjoying getting the surround discs out, and I figure if I am going to listen to it, I may as well give it a run down.
    Anyway.

Again, a sadly out of print album, but still available on the second hand market.
    Amazon has it starting from $59.95
    https://www.amazon.com/Captain-DVD-Audio-DTS-Surround-Sound/dp/B00005TQ7Q
    Discogs has two, starting at $124.44
    The Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
    Discogs has the European press starting at $42.68
    The Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
    There are several on ebay starting at about $75
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=doobie brothers dvd audio

Surround mix produced, engineered and mixed by Elliot Scheiner
    Mastering Denny Purcell

This is a very solid album and a great mix. Although again, it is a while since I gave it a spin.

Natural thing
    One to sit slightly forward for the optimal spot.
    Rhythm guitar up front. Synth in the rears. Nice little acoustic strum left rear.
    A nice circling effect in the bridge.
    Scheiner early on was doing some excellent immersive 5.1's and this is definitely one of them.
    Again we have a very very satisfying balance.
    I turned the sub up slightly for this album, and we have a nice solid bottom end that is giving us a nice warm bass and kick. Great sounding opener.

Long Train Runnin'
    We start with what sound like three guitar blended but cover the fronts and rears.
    A healthy dose of percussion all around, nice congas in right rear.
    Although I suppose somewhat simplistic, I love this track, always have. So well arranged with some nice subtle change ups to keep it interesting.
    After the breakdown we get a single riff guitar front right, and then the field refills for the outro. Great great track.

China Grove
    This was a bit of a hit, and always on FM radio when I was growing up.
    Guitars either side. Percussive piano right side.
    Nice bvox in the rears.
    This mix is extremely well balanced, and it takes a good deal of concentration to try and break it down.
    Nice ride cymbal over to the left.
    Nice balanced harmonised guitars. Excellent.

Dark Eyed Cajun Woman
    Clean guitar just to the left of front left. Really nice strings sound through the rears. Lead guitar plucking away just front right with signal send to the right rear.
    Bvox in the rears.
    Again Scheiner gives us a really nice mix here. This is a really excellent mix.
    The Doobies always seem so much better than I used to think they were, with great writing, and musicianship.

Clear As The Driven Snow
    This a beautiful piece of acoustic guitar with the vocals. This was one of the immediate standouts on my early listens.
    Acoustics all round, really nice circling wind.
    Then we get a really nice change of feel kick in.
    Great sounding album.
    Templeman did a great job here.
    Nice little instrumental section that leads to a nice dynamic kick in.
    Great deep track, worthy of many listens.

Without You
    Sounded by guitars, nice Tom fill left side.
    The harmonised guitars work really well.
    Pretty sure this was a live staple, and an excellent track. Really nice mix. Immersive and balanced with nice tones all round.
    I would be interested in getting an audiophiles input on this.
    To me it sounds great.
    A fake ending that kicks back in with vigour. Great stuff.

South City Midnight Lady
    Turned the sub back down a little.
    I'm just playing around there's nothing wrong with the mix. Tinkering.
    Nice surround vocals.
    Steel guitar to the left, with a sweet effects send right. Strings in the rears subtly.
    Nice mellow groove. Lovely subtle lead. Wonderful arrangement.
    Another lovely mix.
    Fiddle through through the rears. Really nice.
    Really sweet mix

Evil woman
    A bit of a dirty rocker.
    This mix sounds a little dirty too, not bad, just a bit dirty.
    Nice bvox through the rears.
    Nice grungy guitars either side.
    Really nice cymbal effects here also.

Busted Down Around O'Connolly Corners
    I love this . Just a short interlude, but sounds beautiful.

Ukiah
    Guitar either side. Synth in the rears.
    Again lovely use of bvox.
    Around the 3:35 mark we get a beautiful harmony surround fade out.

The Captain And Me
    Beautiful fade up start.
    Guitars either side. A banjo I believe in the rear right.
    Another wonderfully balanced mix.

I think the true strength here is the balance. We have immersion, and interesting ear candy, but the real nuts and bolts that make this so good, for this album, it's all about that beautiful balance. In instrumentation, mix space levels, dynamics.
    Wonderful album, and this is the way to hear it.

14. mark winstanley

I have the 2003 sacd, I used to have the dvd audio, but that stayed in Australia.
    As for others, I have no idea

bluerondo likes this.
  15. Audiowannabee

I was So HAPPY to have finally found this one...had been searching for it w/o paying an arm n leg.. ebay auction went above $45 plus shipping so i bowed out...finally one of own here on shf posted a copy for sale.. $30 within minutes of posting i pm'd him n sent payment...it's mine :)

Long train running n china groove in surround priceless...a favorite

Music excellent . ..sound quality excellent

Yeah hey RHINO where the hell is that Doobies Quadio set u promised years ago!

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's sitting right next to Steven Wilson's Tears' For Fears - Seeds Of Love set, uncomfortably nestled right next to this perky smiley: :mad:

...in surround...:rant:

17. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I can't reach out to colour you but I can call you Johnny.

18. mark winstanley

Amused to Death

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Roger Waters
    Released
    1 September 1992
    Recorded 1987–1992
    Genre Progressive rock
    Length 72:45
    Label Columbia
    Producer Patrick Leonard Roger Waters

Amused to Death is the third studio album by English musician Roger Waters, released 1 September 1992 on Columbia. A remastered remix by Waters and James Guthrie was released in 2015.

Roger Waters started working on Amused to Death in 1987 when he first wrote "Perfect Sense."[1] It was several years before the album was released.

Amused to Death was produced by Patrick Leonard, Waters, and was co-produced with Nick Griffiths in London at The Billiard Room, Olympic Studios, CTS Studios, Angel Recording Studios and Abbey Road Studios. The album was engineered by Hayden Bendall, Jerry Jordan, and Stephen McLaughlan and mixed by James Guthrie.[2] The album is mixed in QSound to enhance the spatial feel of the audio, and the many sound effects on the album – rifle range ambience, sleigh-bells, cars, planes, distant horses, chirping crickets, and dogs – all make use of the 3-D facility.

The album is loosely organized around the idea of an ape randomly switching channels on a television,[3] but explores numerous political and social themes, including critiques of the First Gulf War in "The Bravery of Being Out of Range" and "Perfect Sense."

The first track, "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard," features a sample of World War I veteran Alfred "Raz" Razzell, a member of the Royal Fusiliers who describes his account of finding fellow soldier William "Bill" Hubbard, to whom the album is dedicated, severely wounded on the battlefield. After failed attempts to take him to safety, Razzell is forced to abandon him in no-man's land. This sample is continued at the end of the title track, at the very end of the album, providing a more upbeat coda to the tragic story. The samples are from BBC television's Everyman documentary, "A Game of Ghosts".[4][5] The opening track also features the sound of several animals.[3]

The second song, "What God Wants, Part I", follows and contrasts the moving words of Razzell by opening with the TV being tuned instead into an excerpt of a child who says, "I don't mind about the war. That's one of the things I like to watch – if it's a war going on. 'Cos then I know if, um, our side's winning, if our side's losing..." he is then interrupted by the channel being changed and a burst of ape-chatter.

"Perfect Sense" is a two-part song about a world where live transmissions of wars are the main form of entertainment.[1] The first part of the song begins with a loud, unintelligible rant, and then a backwards message voiced by Waters: "Julia, however, in the light and visions of the issues of Stanley, we changed our minds. We have decided to include a backward message. Stanley, for you, and for all the other book burners." The message climaxes with Waters yelling in the aggressive Scottish voice he used to depict the character of the teacher in The Wall. In the second part, famed sportscaster Marv Albert narrates a war as if it were a basketball game.

"The Bravery of Being Out of Range" includes a reference to a song written by Waters on Pink Floyd's 1977 album Animals, "Sheep" (and "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"[6]). (In "Sheep," Waters sings, "I've looked over Jordan and I have seen/Things are not what they seem"; in "The Bravery of Being Out of Range," he sings "I looked over Jordan and what did I see? I saw a U.S. Marine in a pile of debris.")

"Late Home Tonight, Part I," which opens with the song of a Eurasian skylark, recalls the 1986 US air strike against Libya from the perspective of two "ordinary wives" and a young American F-111 pilot. The lyrics about "removing the jeans from the refrigerator" reference a 1988 Levi's 501 commercial.[7]

At the beginning of "What God Wants, Part II," Charles Fleischer (better known as the voice of Roger Rabbit) performs the greedy evangelist's sermon. "What God Wants, Part III" musically references the Pink Floyd songs "Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part I)," "Echoes" and "Breathe (In the Air)"

The song "Watching TV" (a duet with Don Henley) explores the influence of mass media on the Chinese protests for democracy in Tiananmen Square.

In "It's a Miracle," Waters makes a scathing reference to Andrew Lloyd Webber (whom he would accuse elsewhere of having plagiarised music from Pink Floyd's "Echoes" for sections of the musical The Phantom of the Opera):[8] The same song features a sample from the 1977 low-budget zombie film Shock Waves in which the film's characters wrestle over a flashlight.[9] The title track begins with the lyric, "Doctor, Doctor." "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" on The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, the first song written by Waters, opens with the same line.

1. "The Ballad of Bill Hubbard" 4:20
    2. "What God Wants, Part I" 6:00
    3. "Perfect Sense, Part I" 4:14
    4. "Perfect Sense, Part II" 2:51
    5. "The Bravery of Being Out of Range" 4:44
    6. "Late Home Tonight, Part I" 4:01
    7. "Late Home Tonight, Part II" 2:12
    8. "Too Much Rope" 5:47
    9. "What God Wants, Part II" 3:39
    10. "What God Wants, Part III" 4:08
    11. "Watching TV" 6:06
    12. "Three Wishes" 6:52
    13. "It's a Miracle" 8:30
    14. "Amused to Death" 9:06
    Total length: 72:45
    --------------------------------------

It is very rare for me to be one to list favourites and best, I try but there is perpetual change, based on my mood and a lot of other little things.
    One band always up near the top of my list id Pink Floyd, I have always loved their output, and often would name them my favourite band.
    I don't buy into the Roger vs David stuff, I leave that to others. Personally when they were all together they had a true sum is greater than the parts thing going on, and I am rarely not in the mood to absorb it.
    Waters released a coupld of solo albums before this, and I personally enjoyed them both, but to me, this is his finest and most focused piece of solo work. I feel I can rate this up with Pink Floyd stuff, just as I feel I can rate Dave Gimour's Debut solo album, and possibly even Rattle That Lock up in that heady stratosphere.
    Now I can say quite clearly that this mix was ultimately a disappointment when I first heard it, because it didn't seem to live up to the potential that the music had, for the format.

It's raining outside, and I am relaxing, so again, sorry if this is too much, but you can come back to any of these albums at any time and run through them, so don't feel pressure or volume overload. I am just having a great time listening to music today, and I feel like reassessing this wonderful album, where I have some memories of being disappointed in the mix. I figure approaching it with lower expectations than previous occasions I may get to the bottom of this, or I may just find it is a disappointment. so lets see shall we.

Still available
    Bluray/cd set from $15 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Amused-Death-Roger-Waters/dp/B00UA1NBJ6
    sacd available at acoustic sounds for $35
    https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/89110/Roger_Waters-Amused_To_Death-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD?
    gclid=CjwKCAjw7uPqBRBlEiwAYDsr17ZrkO3mOklmvTvIQe2Ck3_lVOKetneGy323yML68w33cFSpvNXm5BoCUEkQAvD_BwE

Dreamers on discogs, hoping for a OOP time are asking $47.55
    Roger Waters - Amused To Death

So the bluray on amazon seems the best option financially

5.1 mixed and Mastered by James Guthrie and assisted by Joel Plante

Some things on this album to listen out for are Jeff Beck's brilliant guitar work. Obviously Waters has thought provoking provocative lyrics. I enjoyed his work up to this point in spite of not necessarily agreeing with his particular spin on things, I just enjoy listening to his particular way of expressing himself. The arrangements and soundscapes are quite brilliant, in my opinion. I really loved this album, and hope today my misgivings on the surround mix will be put to rest. For the record The Roger Waters Bluray and sacd for In The Flesh is great, in my opinion. With a stack of fantastic Floyd tracks, a couple of old solo tracks and a good selection of these tracks on it.

Ballad Of Bill Hubbard
    We have crickets, left. Dog up front. TV to the left.
    This is one to sit quite forward for.
    Jeff Beck paints beautiful colours up front, synths swell around us. The dog barks to the right. Wah wah guitar right rear, for a quick stab.
    To the left the story of Bill Hubbard is told, Jeff still painting pictures, with quite a beautiful effects send to the right rear. Nice percussion left rear. The sub is sublime.

What God Wants pt1
    A little girl talks to the left. Sfx all round. Beautiful ambient soundstage here. This is way better than I remember.
    We have crowds cheering in the rears. Synths and guitars get some side action. And Beck gets a wonderful front left guitar with a really nice effects send to the right rear.

Perfect Sense pt 1
    Nice synth swirl around the head. Crickets left. Thunder crack. Breathing right side. Someone speaks up front. We get a gentle circling as the breathing moves left side.
    Piano sits nicely on the right. Viennese quartet left side.
    Now we have synth on the right and the piano is left
    There is some really nice subtle circling in this track.

Perfect sense pt2
    Piano in the rears. Bvox rears. TV announcer left. A full bodied surround mix here.
    Now I am scratching my head and wondering why my initial thoughts were that it was a poor mix.
    Grunt guitar on the right.
    This sounds really good. Nicely balanced, and lovely sub signals.

The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range
    We have a typical Waters continuation here.
    Organ rears. Nice grunt guitar just left.
    Backing singers right and front.
    This is a great mix.
    Guitars either side.
    This is a really solid engrossing mix.

Late Home Tonight pt1
    Acoustic guitar left rear. And one up front. Sfx right rear. Strings through rears and front. A plane flies across the right rear to front centre.
    Radio chatter rear left with strings. Percussive sound right rear.
    This is a really movie. Another flash of sound from the left rear to front right and an explosion. A chorus of ahhh's

Late Home Tonight pt2
    Surrounded by an orchestra. Really sweet sound.

Too Much rope
    Someone chopping wood up front. Strings build tension all round. A cart with bells goes across us completely.
    Nice bvox all round.
    Strings swell in the rears.
    A racing car zooms across us.
    Guitar right rear. Organ right. Percussive thing left side for a short spurt. Crash cymbal right rear.
    This is a beautiful full mix... I have no idea why I thought it wasn't... it has me wondering if I had been selecting the wrong audio track.

What God Wants pt2
    Radio/tv to the left. Song swells up.
    Bvox rears. Swoosh across the back.
    Guthrie has done a fantastic job of this... I am still in a little bit of shock and wonder about what I did wrong on the previous listens.

What God Wants pt3
    Crickets right. Then a great swoosh of sound.
    A few side swipes.
    Guitar right.
    Ahhh Jeff Beck playing so well, signal send to rears. Strings in rears.

Watching TV
    Phone rings right rear, old man starts singing a song. Phone hangs up. TV/radio left side. Machine gun fire right rear. Acoustic and vocal up front.
    Organ left, actually I think it's a female vocal. Guitar right. Don Henley just left.
    Wonderful ambience interlude.
    Piano accordion right a rear. Organ right.
    Sfx right rear. Soundfield here is again excellent. A violin? Right side.
    Terribly sad and poignant song. Again a wonderful piece of ambient head space.

Three Wishes
    Speaking to the left. Ominous groove up front, more speaking to the left then vocal comes in... the genie vocal effect is great and all around us. Nice guitar delay effects sent to rears.
    Bvox all around.
    Percussion to the left and that awesome genie vocal effect.
    Organ through the head while Beck plays again, such a great asset to this album. Dog barks to the left side. Synth swell circles gently. Piano right side rear. Speaking left side.

It's A Miracle
    Synths in rear. Piano up front. Voices of children in the rears.
    This is really bloody excellent. Someone dives into the water left side.
    Bvox beautifully for the chorus all round. Organ right. Synth lead in rears. More swooshing.
    This is a beautiful piece of work.
    Synth lead on left side. Rhythmic voice chant both sides, very subtle. Choir takes us out of the song. With more Beck beauty.

Amused to Death
    More sfx right side. Gentle synth pad, and a deep swell, with a low mixed power guitar. Percussive piece slowly rises. Guitar volume swells like whale calls in the rears. Vocals all round, but very subtle. Guitar swells left side. Bvox all round. The vocal gives us social commentary prose while a beautiful soundfield full of subtleties floats around us. Still we have those sfx left side.
    Arpeggio guitars either side. Then the song punches.
    Beautiful use of all channels.
    This is such a poignant song. Wonderfully written and constructed.
    Volume swell guitar right rear with effects sends to centre rear.
    The guy telling Bill Hubbard's story returns to the left side. Gentle synth in the rears. Beck swells and swoops across the channels.
    Crickets fade us out of the album.

Well to be honest that is quite remarkable. I am at a loss, because I have stated a couple of times how disappointed I was with this mix. I don't know If I was sitting back and too lazy to come forward, or if somehow I had something set wrong the two last times I listened to this, but that is a really magnificent mix, and I take all that back. One of my favourite post 1990 albums is back on the play list and I just have to sit forward for it to do its work.

So i feel I can highly recommend this for folks that don't mind playing Roger's head games. I would say this should be essential listening for Floyd and Waters fans. I love Gilmour, but I don't think the Gilmour fans will be left wanting with Beck's marvellous work on here.
    This is essential listening, just make sure you sit forward in the zone, to fully appreciate it.

mikmcmee, MikeF63, Jaap74 and 3 others like this.
  19. mark winstanley

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    ELO - debut album Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Hendrix, Jimi - Electric Ladyland - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Joel, Billy - The Stranger Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    John, Elton - Madman Across The Water Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Queen - A Night At The Opera Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Roxy Music - Avalon Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Talking heads - Remain In Light Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    T Rex - Electric Warrior Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Waters, Roger - Amused to Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Who - Quadrophenia Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    XTC - The Black Sea Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Yes - Close To The Edge Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Zappa - Quaudiophiliac Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

20. mark winstanley

21. mark winstanley

Well that was an intense Sunday, and some great listening. I enjoyed it very much and hope nobody is annoyed at all the posts. I feel pretty confident in recommending all today's albums. What a sheer aural pleasure today has been .

22. mark winstanley

I would probably prefer the dukes over wasp or apple to be honest... and I know it's a really long shot, but what I really want is
    English roundabout
    Mummer
    Big express.
    In that order lol

mikmcmee likes this.
  23. Audiowannabee

Ive managed to collect all of elton sacds w exception of peachtree.. ALL OF THEM R EXCELLENT n very worthy of having in 5.1 sacd format

Id say madman is my favorite of them all

The sound quality the production is just superb...highly recommended!

Ephi82 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. fairaintfair

I'm with yah on all three of those. But I think it's true that ER and Mummer have been lost. Partridge has said as much...
    Big Express would positively shine with a Wilson mix. Can you imagine the guitars of "Wake Up" in a surround space!

25. fairaintfair

I found "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" to be jaw dropping good. What an album and what a mix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.