Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Those titles you listed are all top notch!

2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Great thread. I haven’t listened to many of my 5.1 discs in many years. I don’t have a lot of DVD-A titles but I bought some of the heavy hitters back when they first came out; Captain and Me, Chicago 2, etc. A small collection of my SACDs that have a surround layer, various newer dvd releases like Styx “The Mission” have gone unlisted in surround.

3. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

No mention of the 3 Bluray 5.1 mixed Allman Brothers Band, The Fillmore East Shows. These are some nice mixes and sound great in 5.1. I picked up mine when Amazon was blowing them out at $16 about 6-8 months ago.

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I probably have about 400 or so to go through, and that is one of them.

kBear and Juggsnelson like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You mentioned it yesterday morning.

Juggsnelson and mark winstanley like this.
  6. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

Highly, HIGHLY recommend the XTC 5.1 sets. Relatively affordable, and sound stunning. Faves: Nonsuch and Skylarking.

7. mark winstanley

We will, eventually get around to most of the bands being mentioned, if not all.
    The real idea here, was actually to run through some of the surround albums in a bit more detail, to give folks a better idea of what they may be getting for their money.
    For example, without going into detail, whereas Jackson Browne, Running On Empty is really well done, and mixed etc. A lot of the Silverline products (as an example), and I won't say all, but a lot, were not remixed for 5.1. Essentially a lot of those seem to be centered stereo mixes, mastered into a surround format. It doesn't mean they aren't worth getting necessarily, but they are poor cousins, and their release highly damaged the format in my opinion.
    "Here is a new dvd-audio by _____. It has been remastered in 5.1" and folks see that it isn't too expensive and it is an artist that they like, and their mindset towards surround sound is "Oh it is just like me pushing my Pro-logic button" ... I had a ton of folks say that to me. I got them to my house and said, "you're telling me that sounds like pro-logic?"

It may seem crazy to some folks more recently drawn into surround music by Wilson and the new box set phenomenon, but many folks were put off the idea completely by a couple of cheapo labels putting out el cheapo discs, that essentially weren't really discreet surround.

There have been quite a few real releases that were somewhat underwhelming also. Not terrible, and they are mixed in (not remastered for) surround sound, but they are essentially ambient style mixes, where the surrounds are giving the room more air, or effects sends etc..... and some of these are great, but some just seem lazy.

I'm happy for us to talk about surround sound on here in all its facets. I am happy for folks to suggest good mixes etc, but if and when you are able, please put your two cents in on the current album we're discussing. Describe what you hear in the mix. You can go into much more detail than me, or much less. It's all cool. This is a good example of what I was thinking - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Think of it like an album thread, but the focus is on the mix, and every week the band is different.

If you want to suggest favourite mixes that people may like, there is a thread here Best 5.1 surround dvd and blu-ray audio mixes? & what are you personal favorites? , and everybody is just stating their favourite mixes. Which is also a great thing.

Surround sound, much like stereo when it first came out, is seen by many to be the enemy of good sounding music. I am all about freedom of choice and it is cool if folks don't like it, but I find it remarkable when people say something like "Well surround is good for movies, but not music". I have never been to a concert where I wasn't surround by the music :)

I guess I'm waffling, sorry.
    Anyhow, like I say, feel free to talk about surround music, but keep a mind on the fact that to some degree the purpose is reviewing the mixes on any given album.
    I promise you we will have variety of bands/artists, and album styles, and mix styles.
    I hope all that makes sense.

8. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

That, my good man, was my evil twin. Seriously, I'm old and forgetful.

9. mark winstanley

Given time, this Sunday (and from the on, depending on response/interest) I will do two albums.
    That way if folks have one or the other they can join in.
    I will try and make them very different styles of music also. That way there is somewhat more across the board appeal each week.

I hope that will work for everyone.

10. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Yeah i now have small fortune invested in moody blues n elton john

Thank the stars above for dutton vocalion

Listening to guess who road food n #10 now

11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

You should enjoy checking out this site then!!!!..........QuadraphonicQuad

wrat, zobalob, Mt.Elga and 4 others like this.
  12. Audiowannabee

Yep great site...very helpful for picking out titles...poll ratings...great bunch of guys too

This site was very helpful w equipment
    QQ very helpful w titles...oppo food

13. mark winstanley

Nice link cheers.
    It'd be nice if Quadio - Doobies comes out this year.
    I think we are resigned to the fact that Animals will be 2020, but I sure hope it's this year
    Abbey Road seems like a forgone conclusion
    Looking forward to Devin Townsend's Empath in surround

Looks like a good year to be surrounded :)

14. mrcond

mrcond Forum Resident

Great idea for a thread, and nice review of Running on Empty too. This for me is a “watch thread” for sure!

15. Wildgift

Is there a 5.1 of Road Food??

16. Wildgift

NM. Found on Discogs for $14.99!!

I LOVE Road Food!

17. Audiowannabee

Duttonvocalion.co.uk

Both road food n #10 guess who on sacd in quad

fredblue and mark winstanley like this.
  18. Myke

19. mrcond

mrcond Forum Resident

Agree on that one, I like that mix a lot. I’ve heard some people refusing to get it because “it’s not hi-Rez” (Dolby Digital only, I believe), but that’s their loss, the sound quality exceeds expectations.

20. mark winstanley

fredblue and Myke like this.
  21. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Great review of Running On Empty. Not much to add to what already has been said. My one small quibble would be that the disc was mixed a little too loud for my liking. I wish that there were more released liked Running On Empty with both discs. David Crosby’s If I Could Only Remember My Name & Graham Nash’s Songs For Beginners we’re done the same way.

22. Myke

And are great, soothing surround mixes. David's entire album, and Graham's I Used To Be A King are great, great surround recordings when you have a buzz. Perfection in fact.

23. mark winstanley

I wish... lmno p.............

24. Myke

I have no idea what you're attempting to say there.

Rhinojack likes this.
  25. mark winstanley

p tests, buzz free, unfortunately

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.