Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

I also love Roger Water's Amused To Death, and I also found the 5.1 a major disappointment.

Not only is the 5.1 mix a very poor use of surround, but with all my listens so far I've found that the new mix has somehow lost the magic of the original stereo. For some reason I just don't connect to the music and the feel of the album in the way I always have with the original stereo.

I'm usually a fan of 5.1, so I was very disappointed that this remix just doesn't work for me. Perhaps I should give it another chance one day?

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

As I say, today, i sat forward and it was quite spectacular, but the two or three prior times zip, disappointment.
    There was much more going on than I ever heard before... it's a head scratcher for me. I'm not normally that inattentive

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Get the one that Roger Glover was involved in the mix. Outstanding. No really, outstanding. It Rocks

4. The 40th Anniversary Japanese SACD set is probably the best way to currently acquire The Stranger's 5.1 surround mix. It remains in print and comes in lavish packaging.

The Stranger [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (SACD 5.1ch Hybrid Edition 7-inch Cardboard Sleeve) [Limited Edition] Billy Joel SACD

5. mark winstanley

6. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Agreed. Captain Fantastic is a slow cooker. All of a sudden a bit into it, and you realize they're really smoking right along.

Often when I get a 5.1 mix of something I like, usually the red book CD goes out the door. Like this one. :agree:

7. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Agreed. A little bright on my system but very well done 5.1.

fairaintfair and mark winstanley like this.
  8. mark winstanley

fairaintfair likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    ELO - debut album Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Hendrix, Jimi - Electric Ladyland - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Joel, Billy - The Stranger Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    John, Elton - Madman Across The Water Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Queen - A Night At The Opera Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Roxy Music - Avalon Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Talking heads - Remain In Light Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    T Rex - Electric Warrior Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Waters, Roger - Amused to Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Who - Quadrophenia Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    XTC - The Black Sea Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Yes - Close To The Edge Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Zappa - Quaudiophiliac Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. It should be pointed out that what often happened in the early days of surround mixes was the shiny new surround mix receiving less compression and limiting than the associated stereo remaster. There are too many examples of this happening to mention. Mastering engineers hadn't learned yet how to goose the levels when dealing with more channels.;) This is true for Bowie, Oasis, Elton John and others.

fredblue, jamesc, MichaelCPE and 2 others like this.
  11. mark winstanley

12. mark winstanley

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Beck - Sea Change Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries thanks @fairaintfair , I haven't actually got that one
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    ELO - debut album Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Hendrix, Jimi - Electric Ladyland - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Joel, Billy - The Stranger Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    John, Elton - Madman Across The Water Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Queen - A Night At The Opera Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Roxy Music - Avalon Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Talking heads - Remain In Light Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    T Rex - Electric Warrior Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Waters, Roger - Amused to Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Who - Quadrophenia Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    XTC - The Black Sea Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Yes - Close To The Edge Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Zappa - Quaudiophiliac Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

13. mark winstanley

So far it looks like it will be Donald Fagen and Fleetwood Mac on Sunday. If you want it to be something else, make sure you vote. Go to the link above :)

Ed Hughes likes this.
  14. mullet

mullet Senior Member

I couldn't agree more: "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" is a fantastic 5.1 SACD mix, BUT have you (or has anybody) noticed the strange error: that Davey Johnstone's rather brilliant little guitar solo in "Writing" - starts at 2:27 - is completely missing from the 5.1 mix?? It is there in the stereo-layer...

mark winstanley likes this.
  15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

This explains why I love the GNR Lies tracks from the new Appetite for Destruction SDE, the majority of them other than Patience are mixed by Frank. He gets surround and I love his anchoring of lead vocals in the centre channel.

The Stranger, in particular Scenes Italian, is one of the first discs I reach for to show off surround done right. The low end is splendid, especially the bass guitar and low floor toms in the final when the sax line kicks in, and the surround really opens up the sound and makes you feel like you're inside the music, that's surround done right in my book.

Frank needs to do more surround mixes!

weekendtoy and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

To be honest I have never listened to the stereo mix.... and prior to getting the sacd I had never heard the album. So I'm afraid I am no use there.
    That is certainly interesting though

17. mark winstanley

There are a few guys need to mix more surround :)
    Is the Appetite mix really good? I used to love that album, but I had some kind of mental block with the band ... it may have been a broken axle ... if you know what I mean.

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

19. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

20. mark winstanley

There's a fair bit of Clapton in surround
    Obviously Slow Hand sacd
    Eric Clapton - Slowhand
    461 Ocean Blvd DTS disc
    Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
    Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard
    There's One In Every Crowd DTS disc
    Eric Clapton - There's One In Every Crowd
    Ridin' With The King Dvd-A
    B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding With The King
    Reptile Dvd-A
    Eric Clapton - Reptile
    Back Home Dvd-A (I think)
    Eric Clapton - Back Home
    and of course the fantastic
    Give Me Strength 74/75 recordings with 461 Ocean Blvd (5.1 and quad) and There's One In Every Crowd (quad)
    With EC Was Here -expanded 2cd and extra tracks
    Eric Clapton - Give Me Strength The '74/'75 Recordings

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  21. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

its mixed into the Centre channel (approx 2:27-2:56) and what's really nice is towards the very end of the solo the tiny wee call and response guitar noodley bits pop up in the Rear Right! what a mix!! :love:

[​IMG]

weekendtoy and mark winstanley like this.
  22. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

oops sorry! there it is in the Centre channel, 3rd track down circled in red (sort of circled anyway, its murder trying to highlight pics from my phone with my sausage fingers!) its at approx 2:27-2:56

[​IMG]

wee sample clip (under 30 secs, mono flac)

EJ Writing Guitar Solo .flac

Nobby, mullet and mark winstanley like this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

24. mark winstanley

25. mark winstanley

Man that brings back memories of working in the studio ... man I edited some of those squiggly little lines in my time :) .... cue Streisand - Memories lol

fredblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.