Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Doolittle surround mix is one of the few I haven't heard from one of my favorite albums. Anyone know who mixed and mastered it?

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Nice write-up, thanks. I ended up pulling out my 5.1 before this came out. For 5.1 this was all that was released. For the two channel portion you get the MFSL mastering which was a nice touch, my favorite mastering for this album. Enjoy :)

mark winstanley and Galactus2 like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Pixies - Doolittle

4. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

5. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I have the first one - AKA Ayreon Universe, and I like it. That's the one and only Ayreon live performance ever, I believe. I didn't know there was a surround version of Into the Electric Castle, but I don't like that album especially. I'm not familiar with Actual Fantasy at all.

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

A centre speaker won't narrow the audio field, merely give definition to a particular aspect... generally vocal or lead instrument.

7. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

“Abbey Road” 5.1 sounds great!

8. mark winstanley

I haven't got any of their/his stuff yet.. I enjoyed a theater thing on YouTube one day though. Sounds interesting.

9. mark winstanley

Cool.
    I'm headed back home tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it. :righton:

10. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I'm thinking it won't make the field any wider either. But, I suppose a given surround mix could be wider than a stereo mix, or vice-versa, because of the way it is mixed.

11. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Looking forward to the No Other surround mix.

zobalob and mark winstanley like this.
  12. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

13. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

This Sunday I played
    Gong - You (quad mixes from the new box)
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
    And a faulty Abbey Road which is currently making it's way back to Amazon

14. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I didn’t want to ask this in the dedicated Abbey Road thread since it will be lost in the madness over there.

Anyone compare the Atmos mix with the 5.1? Is there much difference? I don’t have Atmos set up and was wondering how much difference the Atmos mix makes, for better or worse.

15. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

ti-triodes and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Firstly - Thank you very much to @riskylogic and @Galactus2 for standing in and running through some albums for you guys in my absence. I enjoyed checking out their run downs while the Mrs was asleep. I actually ordered the Source, as I really enjoyed Ayreon's The Theatre Equation.
    I thought the Pixies mix was very good, and I love some songs on the album, but I am a bit hot and cold on the album itself ... I know that makes me completely uncool , but you are what you is, and I am very uncool :)
    The Allman's are of course classic, and i probably need to Eat a Peach at some point.
    I need to familiarise myself with Anathema, as I am not familiar with them ... I am not only uncool, I am out of touch..... :)

One thing I highly recommend, though I have not heard the 5.1 yet is the new Dream Theatre album ( Distance Over time)... I was just driving (both times I listened to it) but it sounds like a really good album. It certainly has a nice return to Petrucci tearing up the fret board and a little heavier drum and guitar arrangement than I have heard from them in a while.
    It should arrive tomorrow, so perhaps I will run through that next week. Although I am not sure about them lyrically, and again I haven't heard the 5.1 yet, the new Opeth album ( In Cauda Venenom ... which translates as a Sting In The Tail, I believe) also sounds very good. It seems to have a really good traditional kind of prog arrangement/feel, but again I was driving, so I can't give a very well defined opinion at this stage, but that will be coming up at some point also.

Galactus2 likes this.
  17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

The Quad forum guys says the Atmos tops the 5.1 mix but both are excellent.

ti-triodes, mark winstanley and kevin like this.
  18. mark winstanley

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Allman Brother Band - Eat a Peach - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Ayreon - The Source - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
    Beck, Jeff - Blow By Blow Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Bjork - Vespertine Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings -

Davis, Miles - Bitches Brew - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

ELO - debut album
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Fagen, Donald - The Nightfly
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Gaye, Marvin - Lets Get It On
    - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Hendrix,
    Jimi - Electric Ladyland -

Inxs - Kick Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
    Joel, Billy - The Stranger Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    John, Elton - Madman Across The Water Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

King Crimson - Red

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings

Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Oldfield, Mike - Five Miles Out Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Pixies - Doolittle - Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Queen - A Night At The Opera

REM - Green Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Rich, Charlie Behind Closed Doors Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Roxy Music - Avalon Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Rush - Moving Pictures Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits -
    Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Talking heads - Remain In Light
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Townsend, Pete/Lane, Ronnie - Rough Mix Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    T Rex - Electric Warrior Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Uk - Night After Night Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Wakeman, Rick - Six Wives Of Henry The Eighth Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Waters, Roger - Amused to Death Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries
    Who - Quadrophenia Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

XTC - The Black Sea

Yes - Close To The Edge

Zappa - Quaudiophiliac

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

stereoptic likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig

[​IMG]

Studio album by
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
    Released 3 March 2008
    Recorded June–July 2007
    Genre Alternative rock garage rock[1]
    Length 53:35
    Label Mute ANTI-
    Producer Nick Launay

Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! is the fourteenth studio album by Australian alternative rock band Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. The album was recorded in June and July 2007 at The State of the Ark Studios in Richmond, London and mixed by Nick Launay at British Grove Studios in Chiswick, and was released on 3 March 2008.

It would also be the last album to feature founding member Mick Harvey, who left the Bad Seeds in 2009, and the second without founding member Blixa Bargeld. Dig features the same personnel as the Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus double album. It is also the first to be released since the Bad Seeds side project Grinderman released their eponymous album. In several interviews Cave has stated that this album would "sound like Grinderman", implying a garage rock sound. In line with this rough-and-ready approach, the album was recorded in about five days, an uncommonly short period for a full-length album.[2]

Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! features artwork by British artists Tim Noble and Sue Webster.

• Nick Cave – Vocals (1–11), Organ (1,2,6,7), Piano (3,8,9), Tambourine (3,5,11), Sleigh Bells (3,11), Toms (5), Harmonica (5), Electric Guitar (9), Vibra-Slap (11)
    • Martyn P. Casey – Bass (1–3,6–11)
    • Thomas Wydler – Brushed Snare (1), Shaker (2,10), Tambourine (2,5,10), Drums (4,8,9), Hand Drums (7)
    • Warren Ellis – Viola (1,6,9,11), Loops (1,4,6,7,10,11), Fender Mandocaster (2–4,7–10), Tenor Guitar (3,5,8,10), Maracas (3) 12 String Lute (5), Drum Machine (6), Piano (8), Flute (9), Mandolin (9)
    • Mick Harvey – Electric Guitar (1,4–6,10,11), Acoustic Guitar (2,5,7–9), Bass (4,5), Organ (10)
    • Jim Sclavunos – Drums (1–3,5–7,10,11), Bongos (1,5), Cowbell (1), Cuica (3), Congas (3,4), Finger Cymbals (4), Shaker (5), Maracas (7), Tambourine (8,9), Sleigh Bells (9)
    • James Johnston – Organ (2,5,9), Electric Guitar (5)
    • All backing vocals and handclaps by Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds; Conway Savage is listed as a band member but does not play his usual keyboards on the album

All songs written by Nick Cave unless otherwise stated
    1. "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!" – 4:11
    2. "Today's Lesson" – 4:41
    3. "Moonland" – 3:53 (Cave, Ellis, Casey, Sclavunos)
    4. "Night of the Lotus Eaters" – 4:53 (Cave, Ellis)
    5. "Albert Goes West" – 3:32 (Cave, Ellis)
    6. "We Call Upon the Author" – 5:11 (Cave, Ellis)
    7. "Hold on to Yourself" – 5:50 (Cave, Ellis, Casey, Sclavunos)
    8. "Lie Down Here (& Be My Girl)" – 4:57
    9. "Jesus of the Moon" – 3:22
    10. "Midnight Man" – 5:06
    11. "More News from Nowhere" – 7:58 (Cave, Ellis, Casey, Sclavunos)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nick Cave has had a much storied career and released a vast array of music, from the beautiful, yet disturbing Boys Next Door single Shivers, through the avant punk of the Birthday Party, and the development of The Bad Seeds, who started out sounding like distant cousins of the Birthday Party, and eventually carved out a broad and magnificent catalog of music that moves from piano ballads, pulsating acoustic guitar driven ballads, through dense soundscapes using every conceivable form of musical instrument, to raw rock derived music ... and then there are the soundtrack albums, which to be honest I am not very familiar with, but I have no doubt that he and long time collaborator Mick Harvey, did a good job, because soundscapes were their bread and butter.
    Nick has written novels, that I haven't read, but my wife has. The Bad Seeds in all their various guises have thrilled many with their dynamic live shows. Recently the Distant Sky movie/concert received a lot of good feedback, and I am looking forward to a bluray at some point in the near future. He has apparently also played parts in some alternative movies, but again, I haven't seen them.

Nick hails from Australia, but for any real chance of longevity an artist needs to get across to the overseas market, because Australia's population just isn't big enough to sustain a long career, especially when one is walking on the opposite side of the tracks to the mainstream. He and both his main bands spent most of their time moving between Germany and England, and getting a fairly large fan base, although really probably contained in the cult status area.

This album is the bands 14th album, and followed the magnificent Abattoir Blues/ Lyre Of Orpheus ... but there was a four year gap in which time Nick put together the Grinderman project, in which the guys essentially returned to a garage band style with Cave playing guitar for the first time, instead of his usual piano. The Grinderman project was very successful and gave the guys a chance to shake off the cobwebs and step out from under the weighty expectations of the Bad Seeds.

So we get to Dig Lazarus Dig. The reason i picked this album rather than one of my favourites .... The Good Son, Henry's Dream, Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus ... is because it is more recent and in a recent discussion about the band on this forum, it became obvious that this album is one that divides the fans. I think it is a fine album, and yet again, although I have listened to the 5.1 version, it has been a while and I really wanted to revisit it. So forgive my slight self indulgence here, as I think this is a really good album, and felt like listening to it, so I figured I may as well knock this one out ... I would probably have done Push The Sky Away or Skeleton Tree, but sadly they aren't available in 5.1, although the One More Time With Feeling bluray has 5.1 versions of most of the tracks included in the movie, and is well worth checking out.

This is still available around the place ...
    Amazon from about $9 https://www.amazon.com/Dig-Lazarus-...dig+lazarus+dig&qid=1569952449&s=music&sr=1-1
    Discogs from about $11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! European pressing
    Discogs from about $9 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! UK and Europe pressing...

Unfortunately it is only a DD and DTS soundtrack, but I don't get too concerned about that as long as it is done well. So just a heads up there for folks more particular about these things.

All the Bad Seeds albums up to Dig, are available in this format, and I have them all, because I love this guy and the band, and always find something to come away with from their albums.... so we will probably get around to them as we go through this thread :) sorry to those of you who don't like them lol

5.1 mixed by Kevin Paul and Mick Harvey
    5.1 mastering by Simon Heyworth.

This album has the influence of the Grinderman project within it, and was somewhat removed from the Bad Seeds albums that lead up to it. It still contains the narrative, somewhat sarcastic and somewhat dark Cave lyrical styling.

Dig Lazarus Dig
    The first thing that strikes me is a slightly thin garagey sound. It isn't a bad sound at all, just a particular styling of sound.
    We have a rhythm guitar right.
    There some swirling pick scrapes and effects guitars.
    The rhythm section is front and centre.
    There are some Cave backing vocals coming from the right side.
    Organ also on the right.
    Another rhythm guitar on the left.
    This is a balanced mix, but could use some lower mids and bottom end.

Today's Lesson
    Keyboard effect left side.
    Some rhythm gtr bouncing from side to side.
    We are getting the kick through the sub by the way.
    This sounds very balanced also, with the effects in the surround channels (not effects sends, but non chordal guitar and keyboard sounds)

Moonland
    We start with a rhythmic groove, with a little organ to the left, and percussion to the right.
    B box left side.
    Percussive rhythm guitar come in the right rear.
    This track is essentially one of Cave's predominantly narrative tracks, and the mainly percussive and bass backing works well in this field.
    When the guitar and keys spike into the mix, they use the sides and rears, and work effectively.

Night Of The Lotus Eaters
    We start with a really nice surround effect through the rears.
    Cave moves into one of his narrative pictures.
    I can actually hear the roots of the Push, and Skeleton styles here.
    We have a rhythmic base, with Cave's semi spoken vocal. This is embellished with some cool rears sound effects, that come in at appropriate points in the track.

Albert Goes West
    Guitar driven semi-punk sounding backing track here, with guitars on either side.
    This probably a slightly lesser song, in some ways, but from an album context it brings a more full rock sound back into the fray, after the more atmospheric Lotus Eaters.
    We get a balanced mix again, which is always nice.

We Call upon the Author
    Possibly my favourite track.
    Pieces of guitar add to the sides, left and right.
    The rhythm section is solid up front.
    The breakdown has the hiss, and effects surrounding us.
    Again the balance here is very good...
    This is a very different sort of music to the progressive, and classic rock that was made for surround, but it shows that even this more raw, and less dense style can really suit the 5.1 format.

Hold On to Yourself
    Yes it has been a while since I really listened to this, I love this song.
    For someone unfamiliar with the band, it is hard to explain the way they go about constructing these soundscapes.
    We have a violin creating a sort of sound effect loop around us, while the drums pulse the rhythmic feel up front.
    We get an acoustic rhythm gtr right rear. We have an electric guitar playing little snippets of melodic, atmospheric guitar on the left.
    An organ comes in left side playing a simple but effective little riff.
    It is actually this styling that makes the bands live shows so phenomenal.
    We get little bits and pieces going on all around and it makes for a great track.

Lie Down Here (and be my girl)
    Guitars either side. Bvox all round.
    Another raw sounding semi-punk track, that again harkens back to early Seeds.
    Again well balanced

Jesus Of The Moon
    Keys left. Gtr right. Violin left.
    Here we have a more gentle atmospheric track, that has a cool mellow groove.

Midnight Man
    Gtr left and right.
    This track has a somewhat 60's semi-psychedelic feel, especially the way the chorus comes in.
    We have plenty of spreading of pieces, and breaking them down does the track an injustice.
    We slide into an anarchic melange of sound to finish.

More News From Nowhere
    An ambient guitar effect track swirls around us. A gtr on the right.
    We again have a rhythm and narrative track here.
    Again we have a nice balance.

I do really like this album, but it is a slightly lesser album in some ways. You can hear the band searching for something new, and in doing so, actually reflect some of the stylistic choices from the early albums. I feel some of the folks that enjoy From Her to Eternity, and The First Born Is Dead, may well really like this.
    Like a good movie this album seems to build in tension, and the deeper you get into it, the better it gets.
    If I had any real criticism of the album, I think the bass is slightly less present than I think it should be, but the kick drum does get good sub coverage. There is a somewhat lack of lows and lower mids, and I don't know if that is by design, or if it was not eq'd well ... or if that is a side effect or being on a more lossy format.

This isn't necessarily an album I would recommend to a new listener to the band.
    I would definitely lean more towards
    The Good Son, for more piano based semi-gospel styling.
    Henry's Dream, for more aggressive, but melodic acoustic driven story songs.
    The Boatman's Call, for Cave's take on beautiful, and heartfelt ballads.
    Abattoir Blues/lyre Of Orpheus, for a melting pot of everything the band does, with a somewhat gospel feel....

This album also has three bonus tracks/outtakes mixed for 5.1, and also like the other releases in this series, bonus videos and mini documentary of people talking about the album.

20. mark winstanley

I was going to run through Simple Minds Sparkle In The Rain, but the Meniere's is playing up and my hearing is struggling today, so I am going to give it a miss.

While I was setting it up though, I did notice that apparently the first issue had/has some form of mispress. Does anyone know anything about this please?
    What exactly was wrong with the initial release?

Cheers
    Mark

21. mark winstanley

Ok
    So for next Sunday lets throw up the seven options for album choices

22. mark winstanley

Dream Theatre - Distance Over Time
    Eagles - Hotel California (it's almost bizarre we haven't touched on this album yet, as it is very well done, in spite of the band seeming to be very out of vogue with the hip crowd :) )

ti-triodes, zobalob and weekendtoy like this.
  23. mark winstanley

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish

24. mark winstanley

Aretha Franklin - Best Of (quad)
    Marillion - F.E.A.R.

25. mark winstanley

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
    Barclay James Harvest - Octoberon

riskylogic and ti-triodes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.