Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Great reviews as usual Mark. Would love to hear your take on Deep Purple Strormbringer at some point as well if it makes it up for a vote. Especially being the multichannel on the DVD is perhaps controversy since it supposedly is a remix of the vintage quad mix into 5.1

JakeKlas and mark winstanley like this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Hopefully soon.
    I haven't had a chance to hear it yet.

jeffreybh likes this.
  3. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I love that one! It’s the first time I was blown away by a mix after getting a surround sound system a few years back and going through my collection to see what surround/quad discs I already had.

There’s one song (which escapes me at the moment) where Ritchie’s guitar is so pure and present in one channel and I think he’s just simply chugging away on the E string. It was stunning to me having never heard anything like that because I always had a cheap stereo or was listening through my computer.

4. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Does anyone know how to access this on the Oranges & lemons Blu-ray?

mark winstanley likes this.
  5. mark winstanley

No. I haven't even listened to the other mixes lol ... it sure would be cool if someone knows though

dthomas850 likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

Also don't forget to run through any of the albums we have done, if you feel drawn to

Reference to the albums

Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic
    Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare
    Allman Brothers Band - Live At Fillmore East
    Allman Brother Band - Eat a Peach
    Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here thanks @riskylogic
    Ayreon - The Source thanks @riskylogic

Band - Music From Big Pink
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
    The Beatles - Abbey Road
    Be Bop Deluxe - Futurama
    Be Bop Deluxe - Sunburst Finish
    Beck, Jeff - Blow By Blow
    Beethoven - 3rd Symphony Eroica
    Bjork - Vespertine
    Bowie, David - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars
    Browne, Jackson - Running On Empty

Charles, Ray - Ray Sings, Basie Swings
    Cobham, Billy - Spectrum
    Cobham, Billy - Spectrum (Quad) thanks @-dave--wave-

Davis, Miles - In A Silent Way
    Davis, Miles - Bitches Brew
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Depeche Mode - Some Great Reward
    Depeche Mode - Delta Machine
    Derek and the Dominos - Layla and other assorted love songs
    Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
    Doobie Brothers - The Captain And Me
    Doors - LA Woman
    Dream Theater - Distance Over Time
    Dukes Of Stratosphear - Psurroundabout Ride
    Dylan, Bob - Blonde On Blonde

Eagles - Hotel California
    ELO - debut album
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Tarkus
    Emerson Lake And Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

Fagen, Donald - The Nightfly
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Gabriel, Peter - Up
    Gaye, Marvin - Lets Get It On
    Genesis - Overview of all thanks @MikeF63
    Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
    Genesis - And Then There Were Three
    Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory
    Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead

Hendrix,
    Jimi - Electric Ladyland

Inxs - Kick
    Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death

Jeff Beck Group - Rough And Ready
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
    Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery
    Jethro Tull - Stormwatch
    Jethro Tull - TAAB 2 thanks @riskylogic

Joel, Billy - The Stranger
    John, Elton - Madman Across The Water

Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - The Traveller
    King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King 40th and 50th
    King Crimson - Red
    Knopfler, Mark - Sailing To Philadelphia
    Kooper, Al (with Bloomfield and Stills) Super Sessions

Living Colour - Collideoscope
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - Southern Surroundings

Marillion - Afraid Of Sunlight
    Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance
    Morrison, Van - Moondance
    Mozart - 40th Symphony

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Oldfield, Mike - Five Miles Out
    Oldfield, Mike - Crises thanks @Sordel 's overview

Opeth - Pale Communion
    Opeth - In Cauda Venenum

Pat Metheny Group - Imaginary Day
    Pineapple Thief - Dissolution
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    Pixies - Doolittle thanks @Galactus2

Queen - A Night At The Opera

REM - Green
    Rich, Charlie Behind Closed Doors
    Roxy Music - Avalon
    Rush - Hemispheres
    Rush - Moving Pictures

Santana - Lotus
    Sly And The Family Stone - Greatest Hits
    Steve Miller Band - Fly Like An Eagle

Talking Heads - Fear Of Music
    Talking heads - Remain In Light
    Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
    Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes

Townsend, Pete/Lane, Ronnie - Rough Mix
    T Rex - Electric Warrior

Uk - Night After Night

Wakeman, Rick - Six Wives Of Henry The Eighth
    Waters, Roger - Amused to Death
    Wayne, Jeff - War Of The Worlds
    Who - Quadrophenia
    Wilson, Steven - Hand. Cannot. Erase.
    Wings - Band On The Run

XTC - The Black Sea
    XTC - Oranges and Lemons

Yes - Close To The Edge
    Young, Neil - Harvest

Zappa - Quaudiophiliac

If the mood takes you, please feel free to give us your summary of any of these albums that we have done. For our purposes here, please try and give us information about the mix, in as much or as little detail as takes your fancy.
    If you feel so inclined, review the album, and the mastering or anything else about the album that you feel drawn to.
    Cheers,
    Mark

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This is a very good one, it should be reviewed here.

This is one of the most amazing surround mixes available!

8. mark winstanley

At some point we'll get to them all. I have put Wish up a few times, and it has surprised me that it hasn't got the nod yet.
    The surround mix of Tommy actually got me into the album more ... it isn't actually a favourite Who album for me, but the mix really made it much more appealing.

Rne and Devilscucumber like this.
  9. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I think whether or not an album gets picked often depends on what it gets paired with. Like if you pair Steven Wilson remixes of XTC with ELP who's not going to vote for that? Well, unless you have them both already.

XTC - Oranges and Lemons. In spite of the fact that The Mayor of Simpleton is one of their best songs, I have to put this album in the bottom half of the XTC catalog. But, as usual, the SW surround mix makes it so much more interesting. Poor Skeleton Steps Out and Scarecrow People, in particular (1/3)

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Tarkus. Don't get me wrong, this is a great album. However, most of the musical landscape found on this album are also found on the groundbreaking albums that came before and after it. So, be sure to get ELP s/t and Brain Salad Surgery first. Hell, I might even throw Triumvirat - Spartacus after those. I find the surround mix to be a little disappointing. First, it sounds a bit compressed - especially compared to XTC O&L that I just listened to. Second, as one of his earlier efforts, maybe Wilson put some stuff in the center channel that probably shouldn't be there (e.g. like Close to the Edge). I know Rick Wakeman often played two keyboards at once - not so tough in the studio but he also did it live. Emerson also definitely often has dual keyboard parts and they are sometimes divided up so one part is the center while the other is in the front or back. Seems a bit odd. (2/2)

Galactus2 and mark winstanley like this.
  10. mark winstanley

I'm all about the albums. I like a good mixer, but I would always choose the album over the mixer ... I would always choose the song over the fidelity.
    But I'm strange like that lol

11. riskylogic

It's about the album first, but to pay extra for surround you have to care about the mix and mastering too. Especially when it's a lot extra. For example, I'm the proud owner of the bilingual CD edition of In Cauda Venenum. Like Sorceress, doesn't look like the 5.1 mix is coming my way.

There are a few albums where compression has ruined it for me. Lord Huron Vide Noir is a recent example.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's not a remix, but there is a center and sub channel generated from 4.0. This particular program is a much better listen with the ctr and sub turned off and let the quad channels do what they were originally mixed to do.

13. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Mark just wanted to let you know that your reviews had me just pick up both Opeth - Pale Communion and In Cauda Venenum. I grew up on 70's/80's metal/hard rock. So have periodically been intrigued with Opeth as they were one of the few somewhat newer "metal" bands whose name I'd heard in recent years till I heard they were death metal with Cookie Monster vocals which I don't care for at all. However hearing that they have changed directions to a clean vocal approach with 70's prog rock influences is right up my alley and after some quick sampling on You Tube decided to pick both of these up. Sounds like they made the break after 2008's Watershed?. I think there also exists a Multichannel version of 2011's Heritage which was their first in this new style as well as 2016's Sorceress. Do you have either of these as well ? If I end up enjoying these two I may end up looking for those as well if I can find them for a reasonable price. Thanks for all your work on this thread!

14. mark winstanley

You're welcome.
    I have both, but haven't had a chance to listen to either yet.
    Sorceress is a box very similar to In Cauda Venenum.
    Heritage is a 2 disc digipac.

jeffreybh likes this.
  15. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Sacrilege to vote against that album. Must have been your pairings.

16. mark winstanley

lol, yea I suck :)

Galactus2 likes this.
  17. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Heh, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. I Should have used an emote. :winkgrin:

But yeah, nobody votes against Wish. Hope it wins this week.

18. riskylogic

I never vote for stuff I have, so I will vote against Wish. Sorry. :hide:

19. mark winstanley

20. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I've been able to purchase the blu-ray disc from a forum member, and I gave it a spin earlier today. In this instance, I didn't enjoy the surround mix as you did, and I wouldn't recommend this 5.1 mix to anyone who is into surround music. Fidelity is not an issue, and overall the sound quality is ok. I just believe it's a missed opportunity in pure terms of using the five speakers creatively. Most of the songs were mixed to surround with that 'wide-stereo' approach which I dislike. Bass is far more pronounced than on the beautifully done 2015 remaster, which sounds a lot cleaner. In terms of dynamics, I also found that surround mixes benefit when they breath a bit more... I'm still happy to have this disc and that I had an opportunity to revisit the album, but overall my expectations were not met, and they weren't that high to start with! I don't think I will test other Rush albums in surround. What's most disappointing is that reviews on the QQ forum are also quite good, which I don't fully understand.

Muzyck, gd0 and mark winstanley like this.
  21. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

SW also remixed to stereo and surround the S/T album. There's been quite a debate on these two remixes being so-so, in particular the stereo mixes, IIRC. To be honest, I quite like the remixes, and Tarkus is the best of the two, probably because the music really suits the 5.1 treatment. It's a nice disc to have, but costs are now prohibitive... These are hard to find. Anyway, nice review Mark!

22. mark winstanley

I think with Rush, they don't use too much layering in the studio, and it limits somewhat the capabilities to have a balanced full on mix.

I think my good review was in light of having such a poor picture in my head of the album, from being initially disappointed with all the Rush releases... So it ended up being better than I expected it to be.
    In reality though, none of the Rush mixes are going to be competing with any of the topline 5.1 mixes around.... and like I say I think it comes down to a lack of elements to really fully use the 5.1 format.
    I still prefer these kind of albums in 5.1, but I think one needs to approach it with eyes wide open as to what there is on the album to begin with.

Thanks for the feedback :righton:

albertop likes this.
  23. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Nice review as usual. Given this and other excellent reviews on the forum, I pulled the trigger on this disc even if I wasn't really into the Dukes. Guess what? Now I love them! Before trying this remix, I only knew a couple of hits, such as 25 O'Clock and Vanishing Girl (which I heard from that awful compilation with an awful cover, Chips From The Chocolate Fireball). Now, I also think that Psonic Psunspot is a far better album than 25 O'Clock. Tracks like Collideascope work really well in surround. It's hard to describe, one needs to experience it.

24. mark winstanley

Yea. I think with any of the 5.1's, it can be tricky to please everyone, because with different albums we all have different expectations.
    I enjoyed the Tarkus mix, but
    a) I can understand why some don't
    b) Any of the mixes could possibly be better

Sticks and albertop like this.
  25. mark winstanley

I had never heard any of it, and bought it merely on the strength of the XTC stuff (of which I only knew Black Sea and English Settlement prior.
    I love that first album, and I think the mix has a lot to do with that.

albertop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.