Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

2. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

I vote for:
    Pink Floyd - Wish you Were Here
    Talking Heads - Speaking In tongues

Both of these are super engaging, (does WYWH's Quad mix utilize different takes to the stereo mix? Think so)

3. mark winstanley

I haven't actually heard the Wish quad. I have the sacd, not the Immersion box.

When voting, just like the pair/s you want. If everyone posts their choices, I will never get around to looking through to find the votes.
    Cheers mate:righton:

albertop and Devilscucumber like this.
  4. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

This finally dawned on me the other day. Being relatively new to the forum, and new to this thread, I did wonder how to vote and it did occur to me how much trouble it would take to tally up all the replies. But once you posted the results for this week, something finally clicked with the “likes” and now I’m ready for next week.

Happy listening and writing.

5. mark winstanley

Yea the voting thing developed early on, and it never crossed my mind until the last couple of weeks when I saw some posted votes lol

I just thought hell no, I'll never get to start listening to the albums, from scrolling through the thread :)

Devilscucumber and JakeKlas like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You've created a monster, Mark.

Occurs to me, you could "jimmy" the voting a bit, based on how many weeks a title has come up for a vote and not gotten chosen; the longer a title stays on the "potential" list, the more likely it would eventually get in finally.

...unless you put that Paul Mauriat title in there just to see if anybody was taking this seriously in the first place...;)

mark winstanley likes this.
  7. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Ah, yes that makes sense!
    I also have the SACD:agree: (and dodgy, cough cough, Russian Quad:shh:).

8. mark winstanley

I think Mum had something by Paul Mauriat ...
    It's cool I am getting to listen to music I love, and having to listen properly.
    It has also worked, to my surprise, to get me off my butt and get some things I had been holding off getting. In coming weeks/months, there will be a few more classical and jazz entries ... and we'll see where we end up.
    At some point you guys are probably going to need to do some, because I can't afford everything, and even though it may seem incorrect, I don't actually like everything that has ever been made :)

9. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

You are very mistaken on the QQ rating for this title.
    It rated 440th out of 584.
    You may have confused it with A Farewell To Kings Steve Wilson 40th Anniversary mix, with rated 40th out of 584.

mark winstanley and jeffreybh like this.
  10. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Been saving up for the box which of course it the only place to get the good multichannel version. Pretty sure the labels have figured out that at this point in time multichannel fans are a small but dedicated group so they try and milk us in big expensive sets. The days of potential mass market appeal seem to have sailed so so rather than lower cost higher volume they go for high cost low volume.

11. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

No, I didn't confuse it with this title. I can read on QQ that Moving Pictures has an average mark of 8/10. That sounds pretty good to me, and I thought it was worth the money... but it wasn't. Titles of this kind should have an average of 5/10 or 6/10. It doesn't matter how it ranks compared to the others to me. I was just looking at the Moving Pictures poll page.

12. ~dave~~wave~

OK.
    But for the benefit of anyone else here who may not be familiar with the QQ polls, let's be very clear.

A QQ score of 8.00 is not an 8/10 rating in any accepted mathematical or critical sense, as I attempted to demonstrate with my examples.
    It's been explained repeatedly there that the "polls" are for entertainment and information only, and have no scientific or objective basis.

13. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I didn't make any claim that the QQ polls are scientific or based on objective assessment criteria. Sorry, but you have misinterpreted my words. All I said was: (quote) "What's most disappointing is that reviews on the QQ forum are also quite good, which I don't fully understand." (unquote)
    I simply meant that 8/10 as an average vote sounded like a pretty good recommendation for my purchase. When I vote 8 on QQ polls I generally think the mix is solid. Actually, I didn't even mentioned the polls, I just said 'good reviews'.

As you just stated in your post, these polls are for information only. So I thought I could gather info before purchasing a surround mix... what's so wrong with my post? I'd prefer if we closed it here. I don't understand what you are trying to achieve.

~dave~~wave~ and mark winstanley like this.
  14. mark winstanley

I'm looking forward to trying out the Farewell To Kings mix. That is the one folks say is excellent

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, parts were recorded originally but left unused for the stereo mix, and were utilized for the quad only. It’s very small bits but still fascinating. I’d never purchase the SACD of the Surround mix knowing that the quad mix issued in 1976 was not included on that disc, being only included in the Immersion set. Original vintage quad when it’s available is essential to own - especially with Pink Floyd, the most important “studio” band since the Beatles.

16. mark winstanley

I know it's blaspheme, but for me - more important than the Beatles :)

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don’t put artists and works against each other once they hit a certain area of artistic attainment. Like what’s better the Mona Lisa or Starry Starry Night?

Abbey Road or Sticky Fingers? Could not live without either.

18. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

The intro of Welcome to the machine is definitely different in the quad, and it’s great! Overall, I prefer the 5.1 for that song, as it sounds fuller, but the intro is so much better on the quad because of that extra element, which sounds like a helicopter flying on top of your head.

19. mark winstanley

agreed.... but if I have a favourite band, and I am really not sure anymore, then it is Pink Floyd

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have a favorite live act, studio group, fave band still working. Top singles act, etc.

I’m heavily into classic rock, and Floyd are tied for the top six acts easily. I have my favorite albums, and top double albums, and The Wall is not in top 10 of them. Some real stellar tunes there, yet groupies and bathtubs doesn’t wear so well for me after 40 years. White, Exile and Quadrophenia would rate higher, and they feature tunes also not up with the best. But it’s all great, until Roger left the band lol.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

How can they be your favorite band when you do not own (possibly) their best album in its quad mix or deluxe edition?

22. mark winstanley

I was happy with the 5.1, and it is very rare that I double up on anyone's albums, and at the time I wasn't paying $120-$150 for one disc. I am not a rich man

23. ~dave~~wave~

24. mark winstanley

Yea, I saw Amazon's price had dropped significantly this morning, I was referring to when it came out.
    To be honest the series of boxsets that Floyd have chosen to embark on, have left me a little on the outer with the band.
    I have the Later Years on pre-order, but the main reason I want it is Momentary Lapse Of Reason in 5.1, but the more I hear about it, the more I am considering cancelling the order.
    I love these guys. They were the first band that I had all their albums .... but these box sets have been overpriced, and underfed ... and it really irks me.
    If I see a Wish Immersion set for forty bucks, I might get it, but to be honest I am happy with the 5.1

25. ~dave~~wave~

Wow, $60 on Amazon, had not seen that. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.