Survey: What Brand of Turntable Do You Use

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tony Plachy, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

Thanks! I should say, it certainly doesn't eliminate ALL IGD but one of the Biotracer (and Denon/Technics similair TT) brags from their debut is reducing IGD and it certainly does in my LP case. I have multiple excellent MM and MC cartridges but still hear that IGD on too many LP's but the Biotracer wipes that out almost completely. I can throw at it some of my almost ready to be trashed records and they suddenly sound less trash-worthy. I fully expect I don't have everything set right on my PSX-60 after years of trying but...that's why I need the upgrade;] Somebody said online that these can sound like a CD (certainly not praise to some) and I see what they mean by the clear detailed sound. I can see how the Biotracer might tone down (no pun) a cart's full sonic ability if it's always in dynamic control but I'm so thrilled with even the basic but pleasing SHURE M91ED on the Sony that I can't wait to hear my D-103 and quad carts on the psx-555ES! I like these TT's because they're the peak and last gasp of tonearm design so it's a near perfect hybrid of analog and computer...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  2. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

I have 4 TT in use right now.

Primary for Stereo LPs, and post 1960 Mono LPs:
    Linn LP12 / ITTOK LVII / Cirkus-Hercules II-Mober Inner Platter- Stack Serene top plate, bottom plate, subchassis // SS Ruby Line Contact Denon 103D / Cinemag 3440

Secondary for Pre 1960 Mono LPs:
    Technics SP-15 / Audio Technica AT1503 MKIII tonearm / Ortofon DG25MKIII cartridge......I also have several MM cartridges can be swapped out Empire 2000 EIII / 2000Z / 2000T / EDR.9 / Shure V15-III he

Computer system:

VPI HW19 MKIII / Sumiko Premiere FT-3 tonearm / Sumiko Talisman Alchemist III-S VDH cartridge / PS Audio NuWave phono stage

Home Theater / Family Room:

Rega P2 / Grace 707 / Nagaoka 110 cartridge

3. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

The Kenwood KD-2070 has been serviced and has been given a brand-new dust cover. It sports a Shure V15 Type III cartridge with a JICO SAS/R stylus. Needless to say, it is back in action, but doesn’t see as much action as the Technics.

4. MrMarty

MrMarty Well-Known Member

What do you like about it?

Airbus likes this.
  5. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

Well Tempered Square Motor
    Well Tempered Classic
    both with Ortofon 2M Black cartridges
    both into conrad-johnson EV-1 phono stages.

I guess I know what I like.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  6. carbonti

carbonti Forum Resident

Garrard 301 hammertone grey grease bearing with SME 312 tonearm
    Technics SP-10 Mk2 Krebs modified/reconditioned with SME Series IV tonearm

Both run various cartridges at different times but of a more hobbyist persuasion is currently running on the Garrard a Soundsmith retipped and panzerholtz rebodied Denon 103R. Which means the tonearm has a US 5 cent coin blu-tacked to the headshell and a 14 gram tungsten ballast taped to the counterweight. A very musical sounding cartridge that is detailed enough to not call attention to itself by that kind of omission. For the cost of a new 103R it is easy to hear why this Denon is such a legend amongst the vinyl cognoscenti. It just requires a heavy tonearm which makes me smile every time I see a nickel atop an audiophile tonearm.

Airbus and jusbe like this.
  7. StratDoc

StratDoc Sapien

VPI Prime Scout with Sumiko Blackbird low out put cartridge. E-glo petit phono stage.

8. Pkcpga

Pkcpga Audio Enthusiast

Rega P10, Thorens super 160, Linn Basik (plus tonearm)

9. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

I use my deck for needledrops only pretty much, trying to get as close to the original audio that was put on disc as possible:

Dual CS-750 with a SHURE V15 IV + VN45MR Stylus going into a Musical Fidelity V90-LPS preamp, RCA attenuators at the output (otherwise some loud cut records end up clipping) and recorded through an EVGA NuAudio soundcard. (Usually at 96khz, 32bit. However I get some interference at around 41khz wich I can't get rid of no matter what I try).
    Then EQ adjusted with Voxengo CurvEQ using the CBS1000 test record frequency spots.

My secondary TT in the living room is a simple Audiotechnica LP-60 clone. I forgot the exact brand.
    Makeshift Counterweight added with a bunch of coins glued to the back of the arm... :p It was running a little too heavy for my liking (4.5g) now it's around 3.5g . The cart on there is an Audiotechnica ATN3600L

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    robnec likes this.
  10. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

At this point I have Six Dual idler drive turntables. Four of them are fully functioning and rotate between my living room and basement setups. All but one were purchased as, "parts or repair" projects and the one that wasn't has been significantly updated. I have a 1229 with an Ortofon Super OM 10 cartridge. A 1219 with it's original Shure V15 type II cartridge and a new replacement stylus (LP Gear House Brand but probably a Jico with their name on it.). Another 1219 with an original Pickering 950EE which is actually a Pickering V-15 Micro IV, with a Stanton 890E stylus. And a 1019 with a Ortofon Super OM 10 Cartridge. Then I have a 1019 and a 1219 that I haven't started working on yet. I've been able to get everything functioning well on the others so I'm hoping the same will be true with these two, but if not they can serve as parts units for the others. I'll add that I use a Schiit Mani phono amp with one system and a Cambridge Solo for the other. There is also a surprisingly good Realistic 4209 phono amp from the 1970s that sits at the ready if call for.

I don't consider these "audiophile" but I don't really know where folks draw that line? The new cartridges I've put on them aren't audiophile for sure, being less than $100. But I have to say that these Super OM 10's sound great and I question if spending $300 or more to move up the ladder is really worth it?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  11. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident

Technics SL-D303

12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Still using the same Linn Sondek but since then it’s been serviced, Karousel’d, the Lingo has been recapped and the latest cartridge is a Hana ML.

audiofool, DaveyF and Pkcpga like this.
  13. audiofool

audiofool Senior Member

update: as above, but Krystal cart replaced Adikt, Karousel replaced CIRKUS.
    A marked improvement.

14. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

All vintage TTs...
    Pioneer PL-530 (mid 70's) with Shure M97xE
    Pioneer PL- 560 (late 70's) with Shure M95ED/ Jico HE
    Technics SL-1600 (1977) with Shure V15III/Jico SAS
    Technics SL-1200 MK2 (2001) with Shure V15IV/Jico SAS

lazydawg58 likes this.
  15. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I have an SL-D2 that I use in the bedroom.

What I like about it:
    Very good sound
    Auto shut off so I don't have to worry about it if I am falling asleep
    Seems to last forever with minimal maintenance

What I don't like
    Has a plastic look and feel
    Not really tweakable (except stuffing dollar store plasticine carefully inside really firms up the sound)

MrMarty likes this.
  16. MrMarty

MrMarty Well-Known Member

Thanks, it’s funny you mentioned the auto shut off because I want one for the same reason.

17. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Micro Seiki is the preferred brand in my house, BL-91 servo-controlled belt drive on the left, and DD-40 servo-controlled direct drive on the right, both with a few modifications to make them a little more unique, while still trying to preserve the essence of what made them special in the beginning ...

[​IMG]

18. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

I like my Dual 1241 turntable as I got it in a trade years ago. It's quite used, but it's helped me learn lots about vinyl. Any other Dual users?

lazydawg58 likes this.
  19. lazydawg58

Yes, look back about 5 or 6 posts for my Duals.

DonNylon likes this.
  20. Grootna

Grootna Senior Member

Linn Sondek
    Linn Axis
    Yamaha P-750
    2 Philips GA-212's
    Realistic Lab 300
    Audio Technica Mister Disc AT770

All Down The Line likes this.
  21. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Rega Planar 3, which I bought 40 years ago. Upgraded the motor once, belts several times, DeepGroove subplatter. Otfofon 2M Bronze for the last few years.

Mine is unusual, because it never had a Rega arm. My dealer at the time had one that was "blank," though I now suspect that they had removed and sold the arm to someone else.

What they sold me instead was an Acos Lustre GST-801. Problem was, the Lustre base was too low for the Planar plinth and feet to handle. So, they used a Mission Isoplat isolation base with a circular hole cut to accommodate the Lustre, and it's been that way ever since.

For years, I wasn't that happy with the package, but once I got good at tuning the Lustre (which is far more adjustable than a Rega and has a removable headshell) and started using better equipment racks, my opinion changed. Now, it would be hard for me to move on to something else.

I have been meaning to post on the turntable picture thread, but never got around to it. Maybe now.

22. DonNylon

DonNylon Forum Resident

Sounds like a wealth of vinyl experience and modifications. How do you have the Schiit amp setup? Do you send it to a receiver/speakers?

lazydawg58 likes this.
  23. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

TechDAS Airforce Three Premium table
    Graham Phantom Elite arm
    Airtight PC-1 Supreme cartridge
    Aesthetix IO Eclipse phono preamplifier

24. lazydawg58

Just an Onkyo 8050 Receiver, nothing vintage or high end. My equipment is all modest with the turntables being the highlight. I'm been just recently won over regarding the advantages of adding an external phono amp to my setups. I don't know enough about the technical aspects to mess with the mani. It's just set to the recommended settings. I got it from an online friend for $70 as he was upgrading his system.

25. Charles M

Charles M Forum Resident

I have a BIC 960 with a Stanton 681EEE cart. that I bought new in 1976. I rarely listen to records these days, but it still works and sounds great, never having to repair it, or replace the belt! I listen to magnetic tape formats, and CDs these days.

audiofool likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.