Survivor: Edge of Extinction (Spring 2019)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rburly, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

So I was watching last nights episode. I've given up on why I'm still watching it but I am. I was bored enough (& had eaten a brownie) that I started watching it from a technical point of view. I have questions.
    - The editing is lightning fast to the point of almost making you dizzy. Each shot is barely more than a second or two.
    - How many cameras are being used at one time? I noticed in several of the scenes, the angles of each person would have required probably at least three cameras or multiple takes. How could someones actions possibly be normal with this many crew with cameras running around.
    - This is the cleanest bunch I've ever seen. Everyone has their own look, hair is very clean (some of Joe's poses looked like he was trying out for a modelling job), heads & armpits freshly shaved.
    The past quite a few seasons were very sanitized but this one looks more like a low budget TV show with terrible actors instead of a "reality" show.

Texastoyz and rburly like this.
  2. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Go Lauren

3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9 Thread Starter

I watched the episode, but there were a few times when I had to mute it to watch or listen to something else. I missed the whole Keith and Wendy wanting out of the show. I've now read what happened, and I've read what both of them have said since. (If you don't know, they both were happy leaving)

Yes, Probst is changing up the format of the show somewhat, but not for the better IMO. I understand his thinking, but it's a variation I don't think will last.

So Joe is voted out, but what are the chances he won't come back? Any bets on 100% he comes back? Bueller?

Texastoyz likes this.
  4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

joe WILL be back, and with a vengeance.

i too, am rooting for lauren.

getting to be, quite possibly, the worst survivor season ever.

5. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I've noticed this for quite a while now. Many times I've tried to count the number of participants, say when they're assembled for a challenge, and cannot count all the players. They cut too fast for to count any further than five or six. This has made me watch portions of episodes timing the cuts. I've determined that there's approximately a cut every one or two seconds (and, believe me, two full seconds between cuts is long-held shot on this show). That's 30 - 60 cuts per minute!

Scotian likes this.
  6. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

It's one of those things you can't un-see & will be distracted by ever after.

7. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Tonight's episode was pretty entertaining. This season started slow, but is picking up.

Kyhl, DeeThomaz and mace like this.
  8. mace

mace Forum Resident

Yep, Eric and Ron taken totally by surprise.

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

excellent show last night.

eric and ron suffering the fate of many past contestants who thought "they were in charge".

watch out for wentworth, and i still think joe will be back.

whole new dynamic after last night.

nosticker likes this.
  10. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I'm Team Joe at this point. I think he is second only to Ozzy in terms of being a beast at challenges.

Dan

Linger63 and applebonkerz like this.
  11. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i enjoyed seeing the "puppet masters" getting knocked back. gotta be careful when you gain power.

nosticker likes this.
  12. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

:agree: :righton:

Linger63 likes this.
  13. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

(Rick) Devens will also be eating a lot of crow after gleefully hitching onto team Kama only to realize that people were repeatedly trying to steer him in the right direction and he dissed them for it. It should seal his fate on the bottom of both Lesu and Kama but who knows what will happen.

I was shocked to not see any idols played. Great restraint.

xdawg likes this.
  14. xdawg

He still has David on his side if he wants him. That split idol may bring them back together :cool:

Kyhl likes this.
  15. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

I expect David to get the best of that deal.

xdawg likes this.
  16. xdawg

Me too. David has made a complete turnaround in his attitude due to Survivor. He's not the same timid little man that he once was. I was impressed at how well he did in last night's immunity challenge.

Linger63 likes this.
  17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Seems like the past handful of seasons have been dull until deep in the game, so my slight boredom this season isn't too alarming.

Also, I wish Big Wendy hadn't quit. That was so disappointing. I was totally in love (infatuation) and thought she was a surprisingly athletic player. She could've been an odd "fan favorite" and brought back for a future season. Jeff and the show aren't kind to quitters though.

It's weird not hearing Jeff's parting words to the tribe after councils too.

Linger63 likes this.
  18. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

If you go by the reward challenges, this show must have had its budget cut severely. They use to put a little effort & money into them. Now it's peanut butter sandwiches or Chinese takeout.

Texastoyz and xdawg like this.
  19. xdawg

It looked like Panda Express from the mall.

20. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Sbarro pizza next week.

nosticker likes this.
  21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I hope somewhere on the internet, someone is using those shots of Aubrey, during that last tribal council for: "Blank made me like...."
    ....so cute....

22. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I thought the whole jury was doing their share of mugging for the camera but Aubrey & Joe's reactions were the most exaggerated. Ok, let's film a few reaction shots from the jury. A little more over-the-top please. Ok, hold that.

Craig and vince like this.
  23. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

really hoping the extended "live" tribal doesn't become a regular occurrence. it wasn't good survivor tv.

Texastoyz, rburly and Craig like this.
  24. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Those moments are my least favourite part of the show. I much prefer the subtle strategy of the pre-tribal conversations.

This is the only show I watch live, and I would say aspects of it are better than they ever have been. Though the "drama" gets tedious sometimes.

Craig likes this.
  25. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Pre-tribal they aired a story telling us that there was little conversation before tribal. During the extended "live" tribal I was thinking, this is what happens when the contestants don't talk prior to tribal. It was like Kama doesn't understand how to play the game, having waited until tribal to discuss things live. In hindsight, that doesn't add up when Wentworth(?) blurted out that David was the vote. So there had to have been discussions.

I'm thoroughly confused on what the Survivor team was trying to do with the story behind this episode.

rburly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.