Survivor: Ghost Island

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beep

beep Senior Member

It's obvious that the new way to play Survivor is to get rid of the best players ASAP which leaves all the faceless players at the end. Anyone that actually tries to play the game is ganged up on and shipped out. To me this ruins the show, it seems they need a new premise to revive this show. I can only name 2 or 3 or the players left.

trem two and rburly like this.
  2. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I'm glad Donathan wised up at the last minute and didn't give Jenna his idol. Especially after the comment she made about him. Good riddance.

stax o' wax likes this.
  3. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I thought it was very bad casting this year.
    It was a homogeneous group to begin with.
    Mostly just a bunch of 20 something year old's that didn't really distinguish themselves.

rburly likes this.
  4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

2 more gone. The only person I can name now is Dom. I don’t necessarily like him, but he’s the only person I can put a name to. It’s a forgettable season for me so far.

5. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

Has there ever been a contestant that's gotten this far and spoken less than Chelsea?

rburly likes this.
  6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Which one is she again? :shh:

GLENN and rburly like this.
  7. Nightfly68

The redhead with a nice body.

8. applebonkerz

I don't remember anyone with red hair. :laugh:

rburly and Nightfly68 like this.
  9. Nightfly68

10. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

About 4 episodes in, my wife asked where the girl in the blue bathing suit came from. I did a double take because I didn't recall her either.

11. applebonkerz

I was sort of being facetious about how unmemorable these people are -- I figured she was probably who had won immunity but I never would have known her name if anyone asked me.

Nightfly68 likes this.
  12. Nightfly68

I know but still wanted to post her pic. Lol.

rburly likes this.
  13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I don’t either! :biglaugh:

applebonkerz likes this.
  14. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

My assumption is that the production team is regularly pulling individual players away from the game for their interviews with the camera. Chris could have easily been pulled aside for an "interview" and was then given instructions on where and when to meet.

As for boats coming and going from the island, I also have to suspect that this might be a somewhat regular occurrence as production teams are moved in and out, or supplies are delivered for the production. So it might not be all that odd for the players to hear a boat coming or going during the night.

I've noticed her before, mainly as an ally of Bradley before he was voted out. Otherwise, she has flown under the radar most of the time... except for her two immunity challenge wins. She's the type of player who could make it to the end, but likely wouldn't get many votes (unless her competition was especially disliked by the jury). However, I would argue that a player like Jenna was even less remarkable, having no wins to her name and no strong relationships. I had to laugh that she whined that nobody hugged her when she was voted out... that's probably because nobody really had much respect for her gameplay... unlike Michael, who actually played the game.

I think they've made two big goofs for the format of this season:

1. The whole concept of Ghost Island is kind of a bust. All they do is break an urn and (possibly) play a game of pick a scroll for an advantage. What they should have done was hide a bunch of idols around the island and made the players work hard to find them. That way, good players who really want an idol have a fighting chance at finding one. Otherwise, it's pretty anti-climactic to break an urn that says "Sorry, no game today" (or whatever) and watch them make a pot of rice.

2. They made too many shifts of tribes too early in the game. We couldn't really figure out who was allied with who, and who were on the original teams together. Other than a few dominant personalities, like Chris and Domenick, most players were just lost in the shuffle during the first few weeks of the season.

GLENN and applebonkerz like this.
  15. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I agree,

Ghost Island has just been a half-baked idea that has mostly just been confusing for this viewer and seems like a misfire for the series.

The scrambling of the teams so many times so early was very strange and made the whole indistinguishable cast/teams even more anonymous.

I also thought the cast was weak this year.
    If you don't get a compelling group of individuals in this game it really hurts the show.

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

The template was set by Erin on season 5, Thailand, who said almost nothing the whole time.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

well, i've never missed a single minute of survivor, and this has definitely been the worst season ever.

18. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Its kinda funny. I've been watching old seasons of Survivor, yes, beginning with season 1 which I haven't seen in about a decade and a half. Finished season 2 the other day and 3 today. Its interesting to see how different it was back then. No immunity idols and just an overall lot less gimmicks to keep the show "interesting." I agree Ghost Island is a pointless addition this season, but I'm not hating the show overall like a lot of you. I personally like Dom and Wendell and think one of them ought to win, but I can see why people find a lot of the survivors kinda blah.

By the way, I can't stand Kellyn. She makes everything so complicated, making simple votes a struggle. Worrying about an idol that she didn't even see, then wasting her extra vote. What a dummy.

GlamorProfession and Nightfly68 like this.
  19. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Mega dull episode. Chelsea gets gone - yawn.

20. Nightfly68

Donathan was doing his best to get voted out last night. Needs to keep a lower profile.

21. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Agree about the season being dull. To be honest I have felt that before, but it usually starts to get compelling toward the end. Still not much on this one.

I really miss the old Survivor, with all the actual, uh, SURVIVAL aspects. The unpredictable weather, the lack of food, the exhaustion. The unique and interesting people. Those early season were savage and are still re-watchable.

22. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

This season has been completely underwhelming ever since Chris left. It's such a bland and noncompetitive cast, and half of them don't get any airtime so how are we supposed to care about their fate in the game?

23. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Maybe they ought to just re-edit the whole season, a la Arrested Development.

24. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I agree with what others have said...the cast the year is completely forgettable. Not one single person stands out and I could care less who wins.

I've been saying this for years, Survivor needs to seriously revamp the show back to the old days

The season, I haven't seen ONE person have to go fishing for food, WTF? How are they eating anything substantial?

Cut back on the rewards of food in the challenges, it obvious their gorging themselves. How about you get a loaf of bread and some honey for winning? With ONE nice cold beer to chug down?

Start Survivor off with EVERYONE departed for the first 2 weeks, only getting together for challenges

You'll see people drop like flies, that's those who couldn't survive in a tent in their own backyard

Ozzy would smear these rookies!

applebonkerz, stax o' wax and asdf35 like this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

no, sandr, er i mean donathon needs to go.

useless, totally useless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.