Suspiria - 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Olompali, Aug 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

LOL...have you seen it...she plays three parts...you can't really get any more Tilda Swinton if you tried.

unclefred and yesstiles like this.
  2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I saw this yesterday at the ArcLight in Hollywood.

Yes, overlong but still enjoyable. Punctuated by moments of disturbing brutality, the tone could be quite jarring. I think the constant RAF interjections were unnecessary, and the ending CGI distracting, but overall a successful re-imagining of a classic film, however different it actually is. Mia Goth was extremely pretty in her role and expertly portrayed the inquisitive girl. The ending offers more than one interpretation and is ripe for re-watching. The viewers around me (and including me!) were quite jolted by what they witnessed in the final reveal.

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

RAF?

I'm looking forward to seeing this again when its out on video. I had no idea that was Tilda Swinton playing the old man.

4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

'Red Army Faction'. One of the terrorist groups operating at the time that formed part of the sub-plot. Also known as the Baader-Meinhof Group.

agentalbert likes this.
  5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks, I get it now. I didn't have a problem with that inclusion in the plot at all.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lol ...indeed. Pesky trailers don't show you everything :D
    Now if I can just the film composer out of ( radio) head.

7. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Probably the worst CD packaging job I've ever seen. Awesome movie, nice soundtrack. CD package not only has zero photos or anything, it doesn't even have the credits for the music. Credits for the film in teeny tiny letters. Cheap cardboard, and total waste of money.

8. I saw this film tonight and it was a mother****er. I mean, I can't tell you how long it's been since I've seen a modern film that was this good.

The pacing, the slow, the sped up, the feast for the eyes in interpretive dance. Then suddenly the horror and general creepiness - flashing images of deadly rebirth. A German and a Jew, in love. Primordial soup of mother earth.

The end of war = November 11th, both 1918 and the date of her death in 1943. The date of the dance. Volk means People. The original three "witches" tore themselves apart, as sisters, in a war over mankind's fate. The witches are The Fates.

A lovely work of art, this film. Nits too small the pick.

I'll carry this film with me for a long while.

9. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

EVOLVIST, I feel exactly the same about this movie. It’s perfection and a visual feast!

10. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Top movie from last year.

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I love this film as well but it appears to be very divisive. A number of people say it's one of their favourite, if not their favourite, film of the years while at the same time I have seen it on several 'worst films of the year' top 10's. It's weird because normally if you make a list of the top ten worst films of the year then the film is generally regarded as pretty poor and although you might find people who say a film on that list is 'ok' you rarely get people saying it's their favourite.

12. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Jim, it’s true, people either love it or hate it. When I went to see the movie the second time at the cinema several people walked out halfway through.

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The pacing is very European and may be too languid for some. There are enough touches to please Argento fans but it is not overly derivative of the original.
    Dakota was very good in her role with the red hair being a nice touch that suited her well.
    Tilda was her brilliant self and I didn’t know of her multiple roles until I checked the IMDB.
    Some of the violence, especially at the end, was a bit too gratuitous, and I prefer most of my horror to be implied. Showing too much can take you out of the film, especially when you’re shown a lot more of a horrific figure than might be needed.

14. woody

woody Forum Resident

I hated it and I am number one fan of some messed up things. Thought editing and direction severely lacking. The few flashes of horror were more gore than true horror. I never felt suspense. Thom York’s soundtrack was nearly wasted, I can only think of three times the soundtrack played any significance. I thought the acting and costuming was fine. I found no purpose for the RFA inclusion and it made the film worse.

I bought the 4K UHD stream from Apple as there will be no 4K disc from Amazon studios and my Apple TV supports HDR. Picture quality was good but I am uncertain it would be a big jump from upscaled blu-Ray. My blu-Ray of the original movie is a sight to behold. Oh well, 15 bucks down the drain.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

great review here

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

They took the original and remade it as un-mainstream as possible! haha

17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You know, I'm a huge Argento fan. Suspiria has been part of my life since the 70's. But I've had this movie on my hard disk for what, a year? I've never felt compelled to watch it. There's something...... it's not clicking. Perhaps it's the fan boy in me. The trailer was not great. Maybe the Mothers are conspiring to keep me away....

18. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Weird, that's my feelings vice versa. Absolutely love everything about the 2018 version but find the original dull and unwatchable.

Vaughan likes this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

They're both great movies.......but very, very different.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

7/10
    Thought it would be a lot better.
    Stylish art shocker. Not scary though. Preferred it to the original, to which I only liked Goblin score. New score by Radiohead guy compliments the quasi arty new version/take.
    So old one slasher genre.
    New one gore fest.

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The original isn't a Slasher. In fact, it is perfectly described as "Stylish art shocker", imo. The original is Supernatural based horror film.......

realkilroy likes this.
  22. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Not a fan of the original and truth told, I've tried twice to finish it.
    To me, this film tries to set up murder as a cinematic centerpiece.
    The first death is so over the top it's laughable.

Anyway, my 2 1/2¢.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.